News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Salamandastron!

Started by Trigoma, June 24, 2011, 05:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trigoma

oh this place is the shroud of mystery its self! can some1 shed some light on this place?! iv been wondering forever!
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

James Gryphon

Salamandastron, also known as the "mountain of the fire lizards", is the ancestral home of all of the great badger rulers in the known lands.

It houses the largest armory in the world, containing weapons from all its masters, past and present, as well as countless treasures and keepsakes. It has a great forge, as well as housing and supports the land's best organized, best-equipped army, the Long Patrol. Finally, ancient badger prophecies concerning all important details of the future are scrawled across the walls in a secret chamber therein.

It is a subject of mystery mostly to vermin, who have traditionally only rarely been able to slip within its walls. The few who have achieved this feat include only members of Ungatt Trunn's Blue Hordes, the infamous ship captain Ripfang, Ferahgo the Assassin's Corpsemakers, and arguably the Wraith, who stood right outside one of its windows (but got no further).

Salamandastron's legend was probably elaborated on to its greatest extent under Boar the Fighter, who operated a particularly small Long Patrol, and couldn't spare the resources to actively kill vermin, thus relying on fear and superstition instead. He operated elaborate fake "dragons" inside to light the mountain up and cause it to appear as though it were still inhabited by the 'fire lizards' which have been traditionally associated with it. In more recent times, the Long Patrol maintains several hundred hares and has somewhat moved away from these sorts of tricks to maintain their presence.
« Subject to editing »

DanielofRedwall

Forgive and correct me if I'm wrong, but lots of vermin believe that the hares and the badger lord is hiding treasure in Salamandastron.
Received mostly negative reviews.

James Gryphon

They do, but unlike Redwall (which has no notable treasure whatsoever, besides the tapestry and the Sword), we find out that that that rumor is actually true, at the end of Salamandastron. The Badger Lords store, in addition to a vast armory (which would be extremely valuable as it is), a lot of other precious treasures, in their secret rooms, so Ferahgo (and all of the other, lesser warlords over the seasons) weren't wrong to believe that Salamandastron was worth taking.

They just maybe underestimated how easy it would be to get it.
« Subject to editing »

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: James Gryphon on June 24, 2011, 12:30:54 PM
They do, but unlike Redwall (which has no notable treasure whatsoever, besides the tapestry and the Sword), we find out that that that rumor is actually true, at the end of Salamandastron. The Badger Lords store, in addition to a vast armory (which would be extremely valuable as it is), a lot of other precious treasures, in their secret rooms, so Ferahgo (and all of the other, lesser warlords over the seasons) weren't wrong to believe that Salamandastron was worth taking.

They just maybe underestimated how easy it would be to get it.
Oh yeah, I remember that bit now!
Received mostly negative reviews.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

The most mystical thing about Salamandastron are the Badger Lords themselves. They're the most powerful creatures, and almost all had visions of their ancestors and others. Gorath the Flame was by far one of the most interesting in such a respect.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Matthias720

It's also interesting to think that Salamandastron used to be a volcano. That would explain most of the vermin legends about the "dragon" that supposedly lives there, which  Boar the Fighter helped perpetuate.

Redwall Musician

Did Boar come before or after Lord Brocktree?
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Matthias720

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Quote from: Matthias720 on June 24, 2011, 04:08:35 PM
Yes.

I don't think that answers the question.

Boar was Brocktree's son, so he came after.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Matthias720

><

I misread it. I fail. :P

*headdesk*

Wot Wot!

Many badgers feel a certain call to Salamandastron...this is definitely true of Sunflash the Mace in Outcast of Redwall...
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.

Osu

Ahh, Salamandastron - my favorite place in the series. I've always wondered about how the hares managed to carve out the insides. I'm sure they had help with tunnels and such from when it was a volcano, but it must've been difficult. And why badgers and hares? It makes sense, I suppose, that certain, special badger warriors would "feel the mountain's call," but why should the hares want to fight for/with them? Why not a hare lord, or a bunch of badgers?

Ah, all these unanswered questions. I love the mystery of this mountain!~ :D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

martins#1fan

I always assumed it was well, just there, and that the hares and badgers discovered it together.
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Osu

Quote from: martins#1fan on June 25, 2011, 05:42:10 PM
I always assumed it was well, just there, and that the hares and badgers discovered it together.
Such a story is exactly what I want to read.  :'( I know they formed the Long Patrol together in Lord Brocktree, but what happened between the time the volcano became habitable and the hares and badgers began living there? How did it become such a magical place? Auugghhhh I want to know!~ I could obsess over this fictional mountain for hours, haha. ;D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.