News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Homeschoolers?

Started by Gonff, July 07, 2011, 01:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do/Have you homeschooled?

I have forever!
never
I did, then school, then homeschooled
School, Homeschool,School
School, then Homeschooled from then on
Homeschooled, then school from then on

UNKN0WN

You are welcome fellow homeschooler.

Jukka the Sling

That video is a classic. XD

(Also, there are a few other homeschool threads... maybe they should be merged with this?)
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Rosie Willowwater

That's hilarious UNKN0WN ;D

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: rachel25 on December 26, 2014, 03:29:41 PM
@Ungatt. I'm not some genius. In the UK you finish school at sixteen then go to College to study whatever until your eighteen. After that you can go to University.
Interesting... here you generally do school 'till your 18, and then (assuming you want 2) you stay in college 4 more years to get your AA/Masters before moving on to university if you so choose. Things seem more "compact" in the UK...

Life is too short to rush through it.

Groddil

Hah. I win. Here in Straya, you finish school at 17, college isn't a thing, and you go to uni if you want to for however long your degree takes, which can be anything from half a year to eight years.

Banya

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on July 04, 2017, 06:51:23 PM
@Ungatt. I'm not some genius. In the UK you finish school at sixteen then go to College to study whatever until your eighteen. After that you can go to University.
Interesting... here you generally do school 'till your 18, and then (assuming you want 2) you stay in college 4 more years to get your AA/Masters before moving on to university if you so choose. Things seem more "compact" in the UK...
What? Where? What kind of misleading info is this?
Please do not believe that an Associates degree and a Masters degree are remotely equivalent, or that either take 4 years, or that you can get a Masters degree at a college, or anything else just said. Let me break it down:

In America, after graduating high school at 17 or 18, you go to college or uni, which are mostly interchangeable terms for higher ed in the States, but really the difference is that colleges only offer undergraduate programs, while universities offer both undergraduate and graduate programs. You go to college or uni until whenever you finish.

You can only get your Associate's degree (AA) from a two-year college. An Associates is a two-year degree. You cannot focus your AA in a specific field. It's a general degree that requires you to take courses across disciplines. These two-year colleges often also offer technical certificates like welding, car mechanics, nursing, etc. Most two-year colleges are community colleges, which receive large amounts of public funding, making them extremely affordable for in-county residents.

You can only get your Bachelor's degree (BA or B.S (Bachelors of Arts or Bachelors of Science)) from a four-year college or university, but 5 years to graduate is becoming increasingly normal because of strict graduation requirements. This is called your undergraduate degree. This is the degree that you choose a specific concentration in. For example, I have a BA in Sociology and a BA in International Studies. The BA in IS had many more requirements than the other degree and took longer to complete. A B.S requires more technical courses (math and science) than a BA. People who have both an AA and a BA like I do only manage that if they transfer colleges. A four-year college or university will typically not offer an AA degree program. You do not need to have an Associates to earn a Bachelors.

Your Master's is 1 or 2 years extra after your BA/B.S This is your graduate degree. You need to have a BA/B.S before you can enter into a graduate program. Getting a Master's is a 5-7 year process total. Only universities offer Masters programs; colleges do not.

If you decide to go the Doctoral route, you skip getting your Master's. After getting your BA/B.S, you enter into a Doctoral program at whatever uni you choose. This is not graduate school and you do not earn a degree, rather you enter into a program and earn a Doctorate, an extra series of letters, like Ph. D., that you get to tack on to your name so everyone knows you completed your doctoral program, and from then on you're not Ms. or Mr., you're Dr. On top of your BA/B.S, this process can be 8-13 years depending on what you study.

edit: the censor doesn't like me talking about Bachelors of Science degrees, apparently

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Banya on July 05, 2017, 12:48:34 AM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on July 04, 2017, 06:51:23 PM
What? Where? What kind of misleading info is this?
Please do not believe that an Associates degree and a Masters degree are remotely equivalent, or that either take 4 years, or that you can get a Masters degree at a college, or anything else just said. Let me break it down:

In America, after graduating high school at 17 or 18, you go to college or uni, which are mostly interchangeable terms for higher ed in the States, but really the difference is that colleges only offer undergraduate programs, while universities offer both undergraduate and graduate programs. You go to college or uni until whenever you finish.

You can only get your Associate's degree (AA) from a two-year college. An Associates is a two-year degree. You cannot focus your AA in a specific field. It's a general degree that requires you to take courses across disciplines. These two-year colleges often also offer technical certificates like welding, car mechanics, nursing, etc. Most two-year colleges are community colleges, which receive large amounts of public funding, making them extremely affordable for in-county residents.

You can only get your Bachelor's degree (BA or B.S (Bachelors of Arts or Bachelors of Science)) from a four-year college or university, but 5 years to graduate is becoming increasingly normal because of strict graduation requirements. This is called your undergraduate degree. This is the degree that you choose a specific concentration in. For example, I have a BA in Sociology and a BA in International Studies. The BA in IS had many more requirements than the other degree and took longer to complete. A B.S requires more technical courses (math and science) than a BA. People who have both an AA and a BA like I do only manage that if they transfer colleges. A four-year college or university will typically not offer an AA degree program. You do not need to have an Associates to earn a Bachelors.

Your Master's is 1 or 2 years extra after your BA/B.S This is your graduate degree. You need to have a BA/B.S before you can enter into a graduate program. Getting a Master's is a 5-7 year process total. Only universities offer Masters programs; colleges do not.

If you decide to go the Doctoral route, you skip getting your Master's. After getting your BA/B.S, you enter into a Doctoral program at whatever uni you choose. This is not graduate school and you do not earn a degree, rather you enter into a program and earn a Doctorate, an extra series of letters, like Ph. D., that you get to tack on to your name so everyone knows you completed your doctoral program, and from then on you're not Ms. or Mr., you're Dr. On top of your BA/B.S, this process can be 8-13 years depending on what you study.

edit: the censor doesn't like me talking about Bachelors of Science degrees, apparently
I was actually aware of most of this :P mostly a typo on my part by associating the AA and Masters. Sorry I put ya through all this trouble lol

Life is too short to rush through it.

Banya

:D no problem. Now anyone can reference it if they have a question.

shisteer of nothing much

Hello. I'm a homeschooler and I'm proud of it!
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Jarky Thistlebrush

I have never been homschooled. I accidentally clicked the wrong thing in the poll.
The following is a list of things to bring on holiday:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
42 ~ Seb's Humility ~ Seb's toothbrush ~ Seb's soul ~ Half a Plane ~ Your Toothbrush ~ A creeping anxiety every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Pure Terror every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Death every time you look at your toothbrush

I had to move everything off the list but the bare essentials to make way for this:

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on September 18, 2019, 06:14:49 AM
Hello. I'm a homeschooler and I'm proud of it!
Good for you!

Quote from: Jarky Thistlebrush on September 18, 2019, 08:28:24 AM
I have never been homschooled. I accidentally clicked the wrong thing in the poll.
Hmm... I wonder if there is a way to change votes...
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Tungro

Verdauga

My guess is they occasionally do activities, like sports weeks, book reading, book exchanges, field trips, et seq.
We have homeschool groups where I am. Meh.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Tungro

I went to a few when I was younger, but I haven't in a while

Verdauga

Homeschool groups? Or homeschools? Clear pronoun reference
We did when I was younger, as well.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)