News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Musicals

Started by Lily, April 04, 2013, 01:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusvul

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on April 22, 2013, 10:33:29 PM
QuoteAnnie Get Your Gun

That's the one where she sings: "Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll get some bullets tomorrow .. "   ;)
LOL

Lily

I just got back from Tokyo where I saw Ocean's 11 as a musical. I'm not a not a big fan of the actress that played Danny Ocean, but I still enjoyed it.

Here is a video to prove that it really does exist. What will Japanese people think of next? ;)

Rusvul

That's pretty crazy :P. Are there only women in that musical? Interesting. I would have never thought of turning Ocean's Eleven into a musical, I've only seen part of it, but from what I've heard it's very heist-y.

Lily

Yep, all women. Takarazuka is an all-female theatre troupe here in Japan. They've done adaptations of all kinds of western works as well as completely original pieces. I'm not sure what made them turn Ocean's 11 into a musical, but it's probably not the strangest thing they've ever done!

Maudie

I was just thinking about musicals. Well, some people say that they are stupid 'cause people just don't go around singing songs all the time. I must say that that is not true for everyone, 'cause I break out into song all the time (it's usually a Redwall song). But I must agree that people usually don't converse through songs unless they are playing a game. Did any of that make sense?
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Lily

Continued discussion from The Phantom of the Opera thread. :)

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on July 23, 2013, 10:58:47 PM
^ Ooh, cool! I've been to quite a few over the years. I like to see one a year if I can at least. :) Which ones have you seen?

We didn't get that many musicals where I grew up in Australia, so I haven't seen as many as I'd like. I made a list. I like lists.
- Les Miserables (Amateur production in Canberra)
- My Fair Lady (Opera Australia)
- Chicago (Sydney)
- The Phantom of the Opera (Melbourne, Sydney x3, Osaka, Kyoto)
- Wicked (Melbourne x2, Osaka, Fukuoka, Nagoya)
- The Sound of Music (Osaka)
...and a whole bunch of Takarazuka shows that no one outside Japan (except other Takarazuka fans) has ever heard of, probably. ;) I've been... 8 times this year alone.

I have tickets to see Romeo and Juliette (again) and Dracula in August. I am so excited about Dracula, I love Frank Wildhorn and I haven't had a chance to see any of his stuff live yet. ;D

What have you seen, MeadowRabbit? Your list is probably a lot more varied than mine. I've just seen the same shows over and over again because there's generally only one or two big shows touring Australia at once. And I kind of followed Wicked all over Japan. Eh heh.

MeadowR

That's a good list there! :D I haven't seen The Sound of Music at the theatre, but the 1965 film is my most favourite live-action film.

I'll only list musicals I've seen that were 'official' touring shows. In other words, I won't get in to amateur and school productions of musicals I have seen because it gets confusing! I'm bound to forget some so I'll have to keep coming back to it...

Blood Brothers
Cats
Doctor Dolittle
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Footloose
Hairspray
Joseph and his Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Mamma Mia!
Miss Saigon
Oliver!
Phantom of the Opera
Starlight Express
Tell Me On A Sunday
The Lion King
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

rachel25

My favourite Musicals are Phantom of the Opera Les Miserable ( which I went and saw on the stag in London  ;D )
I also like Wicked and Cats  not as much as the others but a bite I also like some older musicals like  Seven brides for seven Brothers and Calamity Jane and a few others which I can't remember  ;D

Lily

Ohhh, Jekyll and Hyde? That's one of my favourite musicals that I haven't seen! Just listening to the concept recording was powerful, it must have been awesome on stage.

I love the Sound of Music film too. I wore out the VHS tape I had of it as a kid! I went to see it with a friend who has also loved it since she was little and we had a really great time reliving our childhoods and wishing we were Maria.

Rachel, I remember you mentioning somewhere else that you saw Les Mis recently. I'm jealous, someone I really like is playing Eponine at the moment!

rachel25

QuoteRachel, I remember you mentioning somewhere else that you saw Les Mis recently. I'm jealous, someone I really like is playing Eponine at the moment!
hehe yeah me and my sister, mum, and grandma went to see it BEST DAY EVER!  ;D

MeadowR

I must admit Jekyll and Hyde I don't remember being hugely impressed by it. It was well done but just not memorable enough, I suppose. :o To be fair... this was 2005, I believe, and at that point it was new. So I'm sure they've advanced it since!

Miss Saigon I wasn't too interested in, either. 'Tell Me On A Sunday' isn't so exciting story wise, but it's so impressive that it's just one actress as the whole cast, singing continuously! and it was not boring. :)

Wow, there was a 101 Dalmatians musical? Haha, fun. Shame it didn't last then!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

brookeloveslotr

I enjoy some musicals. Especially the animated Disney classics and The Sound of Music  :)

rachel25

I like the animated Disney classics too  ;D

Lily

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on July 25, 2013, 06:56:08 PM
I must admit Jekyll and Hyde I don't remember being hugely impressed by it. It was well done but just not memorable enough, I suppose. :o To be fair... this was 2005, I believe, and at that point it was new. So I'm sure they've advanced it since!
The revived it on Broadway recently, but the production closed after only 29 performances and 15 previews. Apparently it sounds fantastic (to me, anyway) but doesn't do too well on stage!

I love the animated Disney classics too. Beauty and the Beast is my favourite.

MeadowR

I love Disney classics, as well! :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014