AbbeyCraft - The Redwall + Minecraft project

Started by cryptopur, June 20, 2013, 09:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cryptopur

Greeting Everybeast!

This is Chris from Soma Games writing. As many of you know, we recently completed a Kickstarter campaign http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/somagames/redwall-the-warrior-reborn to create a fairly small short-term project as a baby-step toward a larger Adventure game - that project is called AbbeyCraft.

As of today, we're about 90% finished with the main construction including the Abbey, St. Ninian's and Gingervere's Farm. We also have a map that covers several miles in every direction from the Abbey to explore. We'll now be working on an adventure map that we'll release sometime in July and that brings me to my reason for writing here...

What would you want out of a Redwall/Minecraft server?

There are several styles of Minecraft serves and many ways people play but we wanted to ask you folks. RPG? Creative? Adventure?

We're open to almost any idea and we've already seen some really neat ideas out there already. I'll also try to seed the conversation with a few details about the  world we're already building and what we are looking toward.

• Everything (more or less) has been made to be basically double normal size. We started with the notion that Mr. Jacques saw mice as 'like children' and judging from a rather confusing array of size cues in the books we settled on the concept that a character will be assumed to be about 1M tall and we went from there.
  • Working with Sean Rubin and the closest thing that exists to an official blueprint, the Great Hall is just shy of 100M long with everything else scaled around that.
  • Block breaking and building will be off-limits in any area that we're required to stay "official" by the terms of our license. Specifically the three structures noted above but that list may expand in he future.
  • One of Mr. Jacques' long standing concerns regarding a Redwall video game was the concern that it would devolve into an exercise in violence, 'splat the rat' so to speak. With that in mind, a PvP server is probably a non-starter.

But from there, we're very interested to hear your input!

VedCassib

It's looking awesome! I can't wait to play it! I'll be happy with whatever you do, I'm just glad to have it.

rachel25

do you have to download anything or pay because if not I'll be happy to play it  :-*

Shadowed One

Looks neat! Can't wait for the actual game to come out, though. One thing, why are the walls brown?
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

VedCassib

Quote from: rachel25 on June 21, 2013, 12:56:17 PM
do you have to download anything or pay because if not I'll be happy to play it  :-*

You will have to download Minecraft which cost about $27. Then you will have to download AbbeyCraft. If you're worried about downloading things, you don't have to be. Minecraft has been downloaded by millions of people across the world. And Soma Games is a legitimate company, so you don't have to worry about AbbeyCraft.

Quote from: Shadowed One on June 21, 2013, 02:26:06 PM
Looks neat! Can't wait for the actual game to come out, though. One thing, why are the walls brown?

The Walls are tannish brown because they decided to make it out of sandstone to make it more authentic. There was mention of a texture pack on Kickstarter that people who paid a certain amount would get. That would change the color so they look red. If you didn't pay enough to get the texture pack then I'm sure you could find a free texture pack that would change sandstone to a red color somewhere on the internet.

cryptopur

VedCasib is correct.

Thee are no red stones in the basic Minecraft kit so we had to use what's available - sandstone - and make sure the game looked OK without any additional add-ons. While the sandstone in Minecraft isn't red - it is sandstone so that's authentic. :)

In the next update to Minecraft they have announced some new blocks including red clay. At that point we'll experiment and see what's better, making the color or material lore-accurate...I'm leaning toward material and also providing an optional texture pack for the folks who want the extra level of detail.

Romsca

Do we have to have donated to be able to download AbbeyCraft?

VedCassib

Quote from: Romsca on June 21, 2013, 05:25:28 PM
Do we have to have donated to be able to download AbbeyCraft?

I think so, but I don't remember for sure. If that is the case I think you can still buy it here: http://somagames.com/redwall/redwall-presale.php

Shadowed One

Quote from: cryptopur on June 21, 2013, 05:20:06 PM
VedCasib is correct.

Thee are no red stones in the basic Minecraft kit so we had to use what's available - sandstone - and make sure the game looked OK without any additional add-ons. While the sandstone in Minecraft isn't red - it is sandstone so that's authentic. :)

In the next update to Minecraft they have announced some new blocks including red clay. At that point we'll experiment and see what's better, making the color or material lore-accurate...I'm leaning toward material and also providing an optional texture pack for the folks who want the extra level of detail.
Ok, I haven't played Minecraft, so I didn't know. Thanks for the info!
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Romsca

I don't have Minecraft, but if I'm able to get AbbeyCraft I'll probably get Minecraft just so I can play AbbeyCraft!

RoseKB58

I have Minecraft and have tried several times to build Redwall and tried to make a map of Mossflower, so this is exciting to see what Soma Games is doing. I can't wait to see the finished product.

However, are people already playing AbbeyCraft? Does a person have to donate to gain access to the Minecraft server, and by any chance, is it invitation only?

VedCassib

Quote from: RoseKB58 on June 21, 2013, 10:06:24 PM
I have Minecraft and have tried several times to build Redwall and tried to make a map of Mossflower, so this is exciting to see what Soma Games is doing. I can't wait to see the finished product.

However, are people already playing AbbeyCraft? Does a person have to donate to gain access to the Minecraft server, and by any chance, is it invitation only?

No can't play AbbeyCraft yet, it's set to be released in July according to the above post by cryptopur.

I think you do have to donate in order to play it. Soma Games still has a donation page on their website using PayPal. http://somagames.com/redwall/redwall-presale.php

LordTBT

Quote from: Romsca on June 21, 2013, 08:29:23 PM
I don't have Minecraft, but if I'm able to get AbbeyCraft I'll probably get Minecraft just so I can play AbbeyCraft!

You have to have donated to the Kickstarter to get AbbeyCraft. That was the entire point of the Kickstarter, which was pretty clearly explained on the page and in the videos.  :)

Those who don't know what MineCraft is can learn more at www.minecraft.net

mrhoward

I think it would be great to see an adventure type server with different quests that relate to the novel.

Redwallfan7

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers