News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Staging some Fights

Started by James Gryphon, August 07, 2014, 03:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these two would you prefer?

A villains' tournament
2 (25%)
The 'fights that weren't'
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

James Gryphon

I've been interested for quite a while in the concept of writing a series of fight scenes between canon villains. I'm somewhat at a loss, though, for how exactly this should be done. The idea of running a sort of "tournament", with characters from different books being seeded and progressing in the tournament based on their wins, occurred to me, but the problem there is deciding how to arrange the seeding.

Alternatively, another concept crossed my mind -- I could do a series of the "battles that never were". This would consist of fights between villains who were in the same book that might have happened, although they didn't. If I go with this, I could also throw in a couple of fights that actually did happen, but took place "off-screen", as a bonus (the fights that come to mind are Romsca-Lask and Tagg-Eefera).

Finally, it's worth noting that whichever option is chosen, the characters I write about must be from the following books: Redwall, Mossflower, Mariel of Redwall, Outcast of Redwall, Pearls of Lutra, The Long Patrol, Marlfox, Taggerung, Rakkety Tam, and Sable Quean. The reason for this is that those are the only books in the series I have. If this project happens, I will need to read over the books and the portrayal of the characters to make sure I do the best job I can, and I can't write about a character if I don't have the book that they're in.

Let me know what y'all's thoughts are on this.
« Subject to editing »

Faiyloe

I really like the second option and I would love to read them if and when you do it. I especially like the idea of the fight between Lask and Romsca.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

What about Rakkety Tam and Sunflash?

Or Tam and Martin?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

James Gryphon

Well, I was thinking that the fights would be only between villains, just because that allows more creative scope. Any confrontation between good guys is going to be just a practice session, so there aren't any injuries or anything like that. However, I'm not opposed to the idea, if there is a demand for this.
« Subject to editing »

James Gryphon

Poll will close tomorrow evening. Be sure to get your votes in if you haven't already.
« Subject to editing »

James Gryphon

It isn't the evening yet, but since the poll results become so slanted in one direction, I figured I'd go ahead and move on to the next phase.

I personally prefer the second option myself, so I'm not displeased that it won. That said, there is one problem in that such a matchup depends on whether the villains existed at the same time, and there are some villains who never had someone that could seriously challenge them. As such, I haven't been able to come up with ideas for match ups in every book.

Here's what my plans are looking like so far.

Redwall: None
Mossflower: Tsarmina vs. Bane
Mariel of Redwall: Gabool the Wild vs. Greypatch
Outcast of Redwall: Swartt Sixclaw vs. Balefur, Swartt vs. Zigu
Pearls of Lutra: Romsca vs. Lask Frildur, Ublaz vs. somebody (Barranca? Rasconza?)
The Long Patrol: None
Marlfox: None
Taggerung: Tagg (Deyna) vs. Eefera
Rakkety Tam: Gulo vs. Shard (using Martin's sword)
Sable Quean: None

I don't think this is a bad list, but I think there's room for a few more fights, that I might not have thought of. So, if you have any ideas for a fight that isn't listed here, feel free to propose it to me. I'm especially interested in any proposals you have for fights that take place in the books that I don't have any ideas for (those would be Redwall, Long Patrol, etc.), even if it isn't a villain-vs-villain matchup. Also, let me know who you would prefer for Ublaz to take on.

Thanks for reading, and for your interest in this project.
« Subject to editing »

Jetthebinturong

I don't have any suggestions but I would like to see Barranca go up against Ublaz, he has more of a claim to that fight than Rasconza does
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Rusvul

There could be about a billion battles between baddies in Marlfox. Or just one giant melee. If it was just one matchup, though, I'd like to see an actual fight between Mokkan and Lantur. Or maybe a sort of war of subtly messing with each other, finally coming to a duel?

Blaggut

~Just a soft space boi~

Faiyloe

Random melee in situations like this would be to confusing I think one on one is a lot clearer and entertaining.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?