News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Absence of Badger Lords at Salamandastron

Started by Rivertheotter, February 27, 2015, 10:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivertheotter

Alright,so we all know that badgers sometimes go on quests, go to Salamandastron, and become Badger Lords. But what happens when there aren't any Badger Lords around. What happens when it's just the hares?
There have clearly been gaps between Badger Lords in history, like the one between Boar and Sunflash, and Cregga and Russano. In the case of Russano, He was raised at the mountain, but what about longer absences? I think that the Hares either left, or stayed by themselves. If the Hares left, then that's it. No hares on the mountain much older'n I.But when they stay, That's when it gets interesting, maties. They could either nominate a leader, or establish a committee, or anything! Well me hearties, please help yer ol' messmate figger this one out.
"But oh, my love, though our bodies may be parted
though our skin may not touch skin
look for me with the sun-bright sparrow
I will come on the breath of the wind"

Hickory

So the most recnet lord was Russano. In the prologue and epilogue of Brocktree, he says his son and daughter will rule someday. The badger rule probably ended with... Lonna? Let me check... but I think it was Lady Violet.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Wylder Treejumper

My guess would be the Patrol General took over.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Rivertheotter

"But oh, my love, though our bodies may be parted
though our skin may not touch skin
look for me with the sun-bright sparrow
I will come on the breath of the wind"

Hickory

This is exhibited in Outcast. All that we know is that the hares did their job (defendng the shores) with out a leader. It was known that sooner or later a Lord would come (Breeze and Starbuck knew) and twhen they did, ife continued on.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

LT Sandpaw

The Chain of Command the highest on the chain would take over after the badger lord dies or leaves.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Banya

The badger/hare relationship on the mountain is an interesting blend of monarchy and military.  So among the hares, when a hare of a particular rank dies, another hare takes that rank.  There will always be corporals, captains, colonels, brigadiers, lieutenants, sergeants, generals, officers, runners, majors and so on, based on skill and experience.  When a Badger Ruler dies, however, his/her place can only be assumed by the next rightful ruler (divine right).  I believe it's safe to say that during periods of no Badger Ruler, the Long Patrol continues to defend the mountain and train the younger hares, with leadership likely going to the most senior officers.  With or without a monarch, the hares of Salamandastron are still militarily organized.  The longest gap in Badger Rule described in the books was between Boar and Sunflash and there were not younger hares for Breeze and Starbuck to train.  Without a sense of time or continuity in the last seven books, we don't know if there were badger rules between the ones in the books - Sagax to Lonna to Melesme to  Mandoral to Asheye, and Gorath to Brang to Ambry to Violet.  The succession of Asheye to Gorath is known, all others are assumed.  During any gaps in Badger Rule that may have occured in this time, I can only suppose that the mountain was still full of hares and the Long Patrol went on until the next Badger Ruler claimed his/her place.

The Skarzs

I've been studying Roman history and stuff, and the Salamandastron rule might be a bit like it, except reversed. Instead of a dictator taking seat when needs require it, all the rest of the while the consuls and senate hold power, perhaps there is a council set up for the absence of a Badger Lord while they await their dictator.
(Dictator means "one whose word is law".)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Stonestripe

Russano was raised at Redwall and it does create a gap. The hares in the mountain live by military rules and rank so the 2nd in command is in charge when the badger lord is absent. In almost every book with a acting badger lord there is a 2nd in command Hare that runs the show so the lord can go around in full bloodwrath and the hares still function like a well oiled machine. I also noticed the 2nd in command is usually good friends with the Lord though Cregga was very hard to get along with when she had the wrath.
"Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords"