News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Forum Fan-Fic

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, April 06, 2016, 10:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Like Button" (Requested by Bonaparte)

39 (97.5%)
Dislike
1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Cornflower MM

Niiiiiiiiice. Me likey! Do mores by next Thursdays! Pleases?

Gonff the Mousethief

@Cornflower MM: Me try. Promises.

So far I have a small bit of Chapter 1 done. It may either be long or short, depends on when I have time to write.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Mhera

Skyblade

Nicely done, and thank you for the mention. It was a thoughtful idea to write this for us all, Gonff :)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Gonff the Mousethief

Alright, here is the next chapter. Had to write it sort of fast since Cornflower needed it by Thurdsay and Plugg is leaving very soon. Sorry if it gets a bit boring with the "emotional" side of it. The Chapters after this will be more fun and giving you a sense of "Yeah, this is the forum!" Along with some good action. Guess you need to separate the chaff from the wheat. Anyway, Hope you all enjoy! (Oh, and Mask, one more chapter and you will be in. I promise.)

Chapter 1

Gonff frantically shut the old recording book, letting seasons upon seasons of dust get a twinkle of availability as they fluttered through the golden light streaming in from the gatehouse window. The oddly colored fox ran around the small space, looking for his essential raccoon hat. When it was found sitting a top his bed, he reached to grab it, but was temporarily stopped by the snoring gatehouse keeper, Captain Tammo sleeping in the top bunk. Had he been asleep this whole time!? My, how much more oblivious could the poor recorder get this morning! Pushing aside his troubles, Gonff grabbed the hat and sprinted out, but not before retrieving a few of the old records from his desk to see what could be done before the "Cellarbration".

"Let's see. Kotir. No, already have most of it done. Ungatt Trunn, the Taggerung, the Rogue Crew. Nah, I have all those buried away somewhere. Oh, look here. Old Loamhedge. Heh, haven't don't th-," Splat! The disheveled fox had been so invested in his record search, that he had run straight into Sister Rachel! Paints and brushes were splattered all over the both of them, sprucing their habits with luxurious patterns of hot pink, yellow, blue, and white. "Oh Sister, I- I um, I'm so sorry."
"Oh Gonff, it's no trouble. I was going to wash them anyway, but it seems you have helped a tad in that process!" The blue fox grinned slightly as he picked up the still wet brushes from the now colorful grass of the Orchard.
"No marm, it really was my fault. I was so distracted with my records, and finishing my recording late, and oh I am so greatly sorry." The otter maiden took the brushes and paint cans from the recorded and patted him on the back.
"We all have off days Gonff. Now, you might want to go clean up before you dirty those records o' yours!" Called back Sister Rachel as she skipped off towards the Abbey.

Distraught now more than ever, Gonff carefully held on to the crumbling papers as he traversed back to the gatehouse for a Habit change. On his way there, he saw Kit sitting up to an apple tree, mixing and juggling small objects around in his paw. The blue fox saw an opportunity to get a little information about the old Abbey. Quickly, he changed course and sat in front of the fox seer. Kit slightly opened his left and peered out at the colorfully cloaked writer and stopped the spinning. With a dash, he flung the pieces out in the grass between the both of them staring deeply at the rocks, feathers, beads and marbles.
"Um, Kit. I was goi-," he was cut off by the soothing tone of the seer.
"What do you see," demanded Kit.
"Why?"
"Just tell me what you see." The blue fox glanced down at the pieces laid out before him.
"Um, well there is a red pebble in the middle of them all, surrounded by, what is that, three big black rocks. Over here are a couple feathers, to the right of it. By those are bits of sand, then a little grey bead. That's all really." The seer muttered something under his breath as he began to pick up the bits and pieces.
"I've gotten the same things at least five time on this day. I thought maybe the omens would change if a commoner saw them, but nope; still the same."
"What do they mean?" Kit looked his questioner in the eyes, showing him his  tired and worn out pupils.
"That's just it. I don't know!" Gonff was a bit disturbed. How could the seer not see what his little throwy things meant.
"Do you even have a guess?"
"The red one is us, Redwall. It always is. But the black rocks, or the bead, none of it lines up with anything I have ever seen." Stressed, the fox sunk his head down, staring at his piece bag lying on his lap.
"Here, let's take your mind off of this for a bit while I ask you questions. How 'bout it?" Kit gave a simple nod. "Okay, so it's about Loamhedge, the old Abbey many leagues away from here. Do you know anything about it?"
"Not much," started the seer raising his head. "Word went out when I was still in my tribe that a small vermin band had tried to find it and live there, but they all died in the process. Apparently it's on a very high plateau of some sorts. Besides that, I have nothing." The fox ended his statement with his head going back to its original saddened state.
"Well, thank you Kit. I'll include it in the new record for sure. And hey, just keep trying with the omen things. They'll turn out at some time." He gave the seer a small pat on the back and started back to the Gatehouse.

The paint was seeming to dry a bit as Gonff approached the Gatehouse. Before he reached it though, he saw once again, an opportunity to gather information on Loamhedge. The blue fox walked along the wall tops and met up with Dan and James, who were staring out across the Plains from the Abbey's crimson battlements. A large owl saw the fox appear, and his gaze turned towards him. He nudged the grey squirrel guarding with him as the colorful vermin approached.
"Say Gonff, did Sky let the Dibbuns paint on you?" Questioned James hiding a small smile.
"Or did Rachel and Rain mistake y' for a barrel?" Dan spurted out, snickering at the fox's appearance.
"Ha ha you two, laugh it up. You know, I was just going to come and ask you James about some intriguing history, but it seems like my new outfit is more appealing." He turned around and started to walk away from the pair. The Owl gave a hard glance at the fox as he sneered out a spiteful gaze. Gonff knew James was always into the records when he could be, and using it against him was something the uptight bird found quite disgraceful.
"What is it?" James stated. The blue fox looked back and winked at him.
"It's about Loamhedge. I am collecting some information about it for a new record. Do you know anything about it?" The owl put his talon to his head and turned to the sky, thinking and pondering about Redwall's mother.
"Well, I know that over the years people such as the legendary Matthias and Braggon and Saro all journeyed there at one point. Some accounts say now though that there is no possible way there since all bridges have been cut off by a widening gorge. Besides those basic points, which I know are written down since I looked over the record a few weeks back, I can't recall much else. Well, there was the slave trading place called the "Kingdom of Malakriss" once below it. Imagine if we did live there, with it being so cold, dark, and full of despair. Hope this place never comes near that. Anyway, that is all I have on the place." Gonff nodded his head while writing down the last of what James had told him.
"Thank you James! Much appreciated! I'll leave a couple of files of Noonvale Birds up here for you tonight." The blue fox gave one last wink to him before heading back to change his garments. But before he could start, Dan cried out, "Hey everybody! They're here! Mhera, Leatgo, Søren, all of them!" Fear soaked Gonff, kicking him into full speed as he ran for the gatehouse. He couldn't let a Skipper or Bader Lord see him like a this: a Dibbun's painting!

Greeting were exchanged between the returning beasts and still present Redwallers. Groddil found Rusvul and gave him a strong pat on the back, taking him to let the fox teach him what he had learned about heat and water. Cornflower was jumping through the crowd until she made it to Wylder, who was utterly surprised to see his friend jumping upon him yelling out "Pockets!"at the top of her lungs. Skipper Leatgo met up with Delthion, Rain, Bonaparte, and Daskar who shoved an October Ale in his hand and set him up in the Orchard to tell of the Hullabaloo tales. With gratitude, Badgermum Sky went and hugged Mhera and Banya, who both were quickly apologizing for leaving her alone to tackle all the Dibbuns with no help. She, being the gentle soul she was, apologized for making them worry about her. The war of sorriest continued until a group of Dibbuns came and tackled the Otters, welcoming them back in their own childish way. Finally, Søren the Warrior, leader of the Long Patrol and Guardian of Salamandastron walked though the Abbey gates, cheering and praise ringing from everybeasts core. Dotti jumped up on him, embracing his large self in her small, flexible arms. The rat Sandpaw, followed by a fellow Badger Ashenwyte, both approached the Lord at the same time, tackling him with new defense strategies for both here and the Mountain. He told them to wait until he had settled down before getting him readied with the troubles of war. Many more greeted him, welcoming him back from his stay away. The noon time was full of joy and excitement as the rising giddiness of the "Cellarbration" was already beginning.

Gonff was late to see everybeast be welcomed back into the Abbey. The short supply of Habits (Most likely due to Tammo accidentally using his) had caused him to dig out his old traveling tunic which he had not worn in seasons. Finally however, he made it out, just to see Søren walking into Great Hall. "Søren!" He cried out, running through the Orchard to meet up with the Badgerlord. Søren turned and canceled his way into the Hall, replacing it with a waving motion to his recorder friend and a turn towards him.
"Gonff! I was wondering where you were. Based on your looks, it seems like you have been traveling!"
"Oh no, I would if I could, believe me. This is what I had to throw on since Tammo stole all of my Habits."
"Why did you have to change at such a random time?"
"I was so invested in my records since I wrote too long today, that I ran into Sister Rachel who was carrying paints from the Cellars to the Kitchen." The Badger let out a booming spurt of laughter, giving a plump pat on the fox's back.
"You never cease to amaze me Gonff. Now, let's see what Friar Groddil has been cooking up. Sergeant Sagetip seemed to have eaten half my traveling vittles when he packed them for me a few days back, so I am dearly famished!" But before the blue fox could respond with the same complaint of hunger, a loud "BOO!" erupted from behind them. Both turned around, scared to their tail tips on what had attacked them. To their dismay, Faiyloe and Eul had been sneaking up on them! The Squirrel and Hawk almost fell down with laughter, muttering "Their faces!" in between gasps of air. The recorder and Badgerlord exchanged glances and let a face of disapproval fall on the Abbey regulars.
"Glad to see nothing has changed about you two!" Stated Søren as he hugged both of them. Once again, Gonff was cut off as another squirrel, Jukka, came blazing threw, throwing herself on the bird and squirrel.
"Eul! Faiy! Finally you both made it!" Exclaimed the Librarian, who was jumping with joy around her companions. With utter joy, the other two girls got up and started hugging their bookkeeper friend. The thought of her helping him with some records hopped back into Gonff's mind. Sadly, like the times before, he was cut off before he could even turn to ask Jukka the question. Cornflower and Peri both came flying threw, flinging themselves onto the mass of greetings and happiness. Søren saw the distress of Gonff's never ask-able questions and motioned for him to walk into Great Hall with him.

When both were in and the large doors were shut, Søren started to take a long walk down the hallway, talking to his friend.
"So, what was it you were trying to say to me again?"
"Oh yes. I was just wondering how the move from the Northlands has faired Lady V-." For the fourth time, the blue fox was interrupted, but this time for a more important reason. Abbot Matthias and Ashleg came walking past the great columns holding up the structure. They decided to stop and welcome the newcomer.
"Søren the Warrior! How great to see you again Mr. President!" The Badger smiled to his imaginary title and responded to the mouse,
"Great to see you again Father Abbot! The Abbey seems to be very delightful these days."
"And busy. The poor beasts have been working so hard for this er, oh what's it called, ah yes, Cellarbration happening tonight. Say, did you happen to see Jame when you came in?"
"Oh, he is on the wall tops with Dan. Would you like me to go and fetch him?" Responded Gonff who was just simply listening to their conversation.
"That would be very nice indeed Brother Gonff. We have an Elders meeting today, and I don't think the memo got to him."
"Well I'll be right back then!" He nodded for Søren to go on ahead while he started out the doors.
"Oh and Gonff, nice tunic." The blue fox turned and bobbed his head, blushing at the compliment on his mistake derived clothing.

On his way to the wall, Gonff ran into Jukka who was going to the Kitchens with her reunited friends. He turned to the squirrel and asked her his pending question, "Hey Jukka. Could you try and see if you could restore some recordings? I didn't have much time to do it."
"Why can't Tammo do it?"
"He is still sleeping. Plus, you have more recourses for it."
"Gonff, listen. It's a big day today. People are returning, everybeast is happy, all is good. You shouldn't burden yourself with work. Now, I'll see what I can do about them." She ran back to meet up with her friends, without a single bit of stress of work, leaving the recorder to stand there weighted down by it.

The poor fox was distressed. He had the realization that all of his day, along with all those he had lived before this one, he had been consumed by work. It seemed like that was one reason why he never had gotten to know all of the different Brothers and Sisters of the Abbey. The stress of it all made him go and lay up against a slowly dying pear tree, making him forget about his Abbot insisted duty. All of the emotions in him seemed to be buzzing around like a hive of bees disturbed by a brute and ugly force. The noon sun glared directly into his eyes casing him a painful and disturbing squint that no beast in a dire mood needed. "Don't even ask me." came from behind the tree at which he sat. Shocked, Gonff looked behind to see a fox, assorted in traveling gear, lying with a hat covering his eyes, indicating his status of energy.
"Um, what Sierra?" The sleeping fox lifted the hat and locked his gaze on to his blue 'cousin'.
"About that Loamhedge thing. I've seen you asking just about everybeast about it. Now I feel like you will put me under the same punishment." Gonff was a bit puzzled. His questions weren't a disservice, were they?
"Oh no, I wasn't going to ask about any of that. I was just gonna sit down and recollect my decisions for a bit."
"What decisions?"
"All the work I've been doing, and all the time I seem to be wasting doing it. It's made me feel like a bumbling fool, always doing this and that, while others are having a joyous time. I mean, I can barely recall the names of those vermin we took in a few seasons back. Oh Sierra, it's just awful. Now look! There is a huge party tonight, and I am here complaining instead of being excited for it!" He put his head in his blue arms and let out a large, heavy sigh. The fox next to him turned around some more began to tell him what to do.
"Gonff, you mean well; you really do. You see work as an important thing, and it is. But sometimes, work puts your life in a box. When it does that, you must escape from it. That is were having fun, meeting new people, creating new friendships comes into play. It gets you out of that box so you can live without being shut in by work. Now tonight, use it as a way to climb out. Go and talk to people who you don't really know. Have fun while doing it too. You're in Redwall Abbey for crying out loud, you have to have some fun and joy at least once!" Gonff turned and looked at the fox, beaming to him a smile of gratitude and thanks.
"You're right. Tonight I'll change the way I do things, and try to live a bit. Thanks Sierra." The fox nodded and got up, stretching and yelling out a small screech in the process.
"See y' there Gonff."

The blue fox got up and started to the Gatehouse, now filled with a sense of purpose, not one of stress and confusion. That is, until he heard BatLord ringing the Matthias and Methuselah bells, calling for the end of lunch. The shock of the metal clinging upon its self caused the memory of his duty to slowly rise back to its former status, along with the realization that he had missed an important meal. James! With a speed not seen of the blue fox in years, he ran to the wall top to inform the sentry. Even if we was supposed to take a brake from work, some things still needed to be done.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Captain Tammo

Woo! My first cameo!!! :D

And those habits were mine! you have plenty - ye just keep spilling paint on them... Now let me get back to sleeping, I was thinking of the next story I want to write! Lol

In all seriousness, I think the Soren in your story put it perfectly: you never cease to amaze us, Gonff.

Cheers!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Rainshadow

This chapter was really great, Gonff!  I don't think it was boring at all; I was quite invested in what was going on.  Can't wait to see where you take the story from here!  :D
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Skyblade

I also think it wasn't boring. Well done - I like where the story is going, and I'm looking forward to future chapters! :)

Also thank you for calling my character "a gentle soul"...

It's very good, although there are some grammar, spelling, and format things you might want to clean up :) Would you like me to point them out, or do you already know?

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Faiyloe

Oh that is amazing.  ;D you got me down to a T.  ;D I was cracking up just as loud as my character was for sure. ;) ;D
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

The Skarzs

Good chapter, Gonff!

I must say, though, sometimes the words you use are a bit. . . Over-flowery. Read some of this aloud sometime and ask yourself if it sounds alright; a lot of those descriptions were slightly unnatural. Often it is the good writer who knows when to keep things simple.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

This is a really amusing chapter (and very long, too; how'd ya do it?).  Poor you, though. XD

Really liked it! ;D
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Lady Amber

This is great, Gonff! :D I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

Faiyloe

Quote from: Skarzs on April 10, 2016, 03:15:08 PM
Good chapter, Gonff!

I must say, though, sometimes the words you use are a bit. . . Over-flowery. Read some of this aloud sometime and ask yourself if it sounds alright; a lot of those descriptions were slightly unnatural. Often it is the good writer who knows when to keep things simple.

Oh chill Skarzs, (I agree with you but) you have to know when to recognize when something is just a fun little project and when it is serious.  ;)
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Dotti Dillworthy

Oooh! First cameo spotted! *blushes a bit then smiles*

As Sky said, there are some typos that my eyes pry relentlessly for, but anyway, great chapter!