News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Empire Rising

Started by Hickory, June 14, 2016, 04:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Coughing in the sooty air, the mouse stumbled around the field of blackened boulders and red-hot lava. A sword held in his right hand crackled with electricity as he hauled himself to the other side, where an otter was waiting. "How goes the decryption?"

"Excellent, sir. The linguist is almost done with the second side."

Setting himself down on a rock, the mouse turned off the electrical current on the sword and sheathed it. Staring out over the bleak expanse of inhospitable land, the mouse sighed. "I wonder what it all means."

The otter stared quizzically back. "The stone," explained the mouse. "It's been here for millenia. And yet, it still stands."

"Sir! We've got something," yelled the soldier up by the stone. The mouse got up and walked over. "It says something about Cluny."

"Cluny?" mused the mouse. "That's ancient history. When Redwall was still stone and wood...."

The linguist, a ferret with a sly face and a clever mind, showed the mouse the tablet with his decryption.

Cluny shall live on in ourselves. He embodies us with power. He provides us with a purpose. All those who worship Cluny will bask in his glow, and be guided by his claw. His power is -

"That's where the chunk was torn out," said the linguist. "It also took out some words on the third side as well."

The otter had followed the mouse. "It sounds like they think he's a god," he said. "Why?"

"I don't know," said the mouse. "But it doesn't look good. Pack up and seal the place. We're going back to base."

The linguist protested. "This is a whole new development! First of all, there was a civilization here, evidently, and they managed to create a material like this - we can't just abandon it!"

"Yes we can," said the mouse coldly. "I have a gut, and right now it's telling me to leave this place alone. Now, pack up and let's go!"

As the team sealed the stone with vacuum tight plastic seal, the ferret retrieved his possessions and equipment. The last thing he picked up was a bag... with a piece of stone inside.

Fourty-five years later...

The second mate of the Daynora breathed in the fresh air of Wayland. He was greeting passengers who were boarding the starship. Off in the distance was the city, Redwall, centered around the famous Abbey. He watched a new group of beasts boarding the ship - mostly civilians, as far as he could see, but he picked out a couple soldiers. "Ah, Lieutenant Keen," said the hedgehog. Good to see you're with us in this one."

~<>~

Orange red light filtered in through the windows of the Emperor's throne room. The hooded figure's high backed chair cast a shadow over the beast kneeling at the stairs. "Rise, Inquisitor," said the Emperor. "I have new orders." 
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

LT Sandpaw

A night of heavy drinking and celebrating with her academy friends hadn't left Lacy in a very good state. She stared bleary eyed at everybeast, doing her best to keep up a smile, and pleasant appearance while wincing every three seconds. Her teeth and fur needed a good brushing, but that could be done later. It was her uniform that bothered her the most. It was rumpled, and looked as if somebeast had been using it as a blanket.

Lacy wasn't sure what exactly had happened, but today was a new day, a fresh start amongst professional pilots, and good day, and hopefully not a day where she had to do much. Lugging her duffle bag over her shoulder the rat joined the flow of beasts entering the star ship. She kept her head up, trying to ignore her headache when she heard her name called.

Lacy looked around for a moment, before spotting the hedgehog in uniform. Pushing around an otter medic she approached the hedgehog dropping her bag and preforming a quick salute squinting slightly.

"Thank you sir, my pleasure to be coming along this is a real opportunity, I can't wait to get going." She paused thinking for a moment before giving up and dropping her salute. "Sorry sir, I read the orders but I can't for the life of me recall your name." She grinned, embarrassed, "I promise not to forget again sir,"

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Hickory

The hedgehog nodded understandably. "You can just call me Second Mate Callum. Your quarters are near the back of the ship, room 136."

He stepped aside to let her pass.

Fatch of Southsward

Dann Jared stepped out of his apartment and breathed in the fresh clean air. Of course, by many standards it wasn't necessarily clean, as it was filled with the exhaust of ships and vehicles, but this was the sort of smell and atmosphere Dann thrived in. He whistled cheerfully as he approached Jared Slope. The rolling green hill was dotted with small houses and farms, but the most prominent construction by far was at the very peak: Jared manor. It took him quite a while to reach the top, but when he did he clicked his teeth with disapproval. The yard had always been kept too well for his liking. The paint was too dark, and the trees, frankly, were creepy. The servants always had a depressed look about them, but then again, that was the effect his parents had on most people.

He flung the doors open, letting in the light of the day, and called cheerfully: "It's Dann, anybeast home?" His father seemed to materialize out of the shadows behind him. "Ahhh, yes. So... thrilled to see you Dann." He whispered with a tone that suggested he was anything but. "What brings you back home at last?" Dann swallowed unpleasant replies and managed a smile -
"Well, today I'm leaving the planet, sir. I know it's not the first time, but this could be a long trip, so I figured I'd let my parents know - say my goodbyes and all."
His father gave him a toothy smile - his teeth seemed overly sharp for a mouse - "Why, isn't that wonderful of you. Always running away on adventures. You and your younger brother have always been very different haven't you? You will be enormously missed. Take care you don't get yourself killed then. Now, if you'll excuse me - I have to attend to Tarin once again. I may get rid of him for good this time. Useless servant I'm afraid. Now then - on your way."

Dann's best friend as a young mouse had been the gardener Tarin, and the two had gotten into lots of mischief. He fumed silently, but the Daynora was leaving soon, and he had to be on his way, after all. On his way out he waved at the dark window his Mother was watching him from and twenty minutes later, just on time, he reached the ship.

After boarding, he spotted an old friend of his from the Naval Space Academy. He walked up, once again in a good mood, to the Rat he had always admired at school - Lt. Keen.

"Hullo Keen, I see your ceaseless studying at the academy has done you well! Nevertheless, I'm happy to be in your service, goody two shoes though you might be!" - he let out a laugh to show he was merely joking - "Pilot Jared at your service, sir."
~ The best way to pay for a happy moment is to enjoy it ~

LT Sandpaw

"Thank you sir," Lacy said nodding to First Mate Callum before picking up her duffle bag and setting off to board the ship. Before she reached the ramp another familiar voice sounded close by. Touching her temple, Lacy turned rolling her eyes at the likable Dann Jared.

"Not so loud Ensign Jared, I had a long night." She chastised in good humor unable to really get angry at him, whether her head was killing her or not. Dann was older then her, at least slightly, and Lacy couldn't help but feel a little selfish pride at despite being female, several seasons younger, and having only been in the military for a short time she had come out ahead of him. Dann was right after all, her hard work at the Academy and flight school had paid off. Lacy kept those feelings hidden and laughed along with Dann, glad the he would be working with her. If anything could be said about him, Dann Jared was dependable.

"I'm glad you got the assignment too Jared. But you better watch your step around me." She joked flashing two claws between her eyes and his. "I'm keeping a beady eye on you Ensign."

Unimaginative

Marv Yofcke walked briskly through the crowded streets of Redwall, the slightest of smiles appearing on his snout as he saw his destination; The starship Daynora. Civilians were unconsciously parting in front of the somewhat intimidating Shrew, as he made his way to the ship. Marv paused before reaching The Daynora, adjusting his hat and jacket to make sure he looked as confident as possible. Which he was, because what could possibly go wrong?

Yofcke merged into the group of creatures who were boarding the ship, and swiftly was aboard. Normally Marv would have been dressed in his captain's gear, but as he wasn't the captain of the ship, as far as he knew, he had chosen civilian clothing, which had led to one encounter with police, who had seen the blaster pistols on his belt. Fortunately Marv was able to explain the situation, and after showing his ID they let him continue with almost no delay.

Marv stepped aside, seeing what he assumed was either the captain, or one of the right-hand men of the captain. He spoke to the Hedgehog, introducing himself in proper fashion.

"Marv Yofcke, Republic Captain and new member of The Daynora's crew, at your service." He said, saluting the Hedgehog.
"Once built a steamboat in a meadow
Cos I'd forgotten how to sail" - The Gardener , The Tallest Man on Earth

Hickory

"Excellent," said the first mate. "You're with the other officers, room 137."

Fatch of Southsward

Dann adopted a look of mock horror. "An entire voyage! I'm going to be stuck under your command for an entire voyage! I expect I'll have to throw myself into the engine turbines before the end of it!" He looked thrilled with the thought of it. "Nevertheless, I'll be sure your 'beady eyes' don't see anything unpleasant. Of course... I suppose I can't guarantee that something unpleasant isn't happening where your beady eyes can't see!"

He grinned and started pushing through the crowd towards the soldier's quarters. He shouted back as he went:

"Never thought I'd see our Valedictorian with drink in her system, by the way! Be sure to share it next time, eh? I hear there's a secret reserve of it on the ship. Best put a guard on it - make sure no one helps themselves! You never know with creatures these days! I'd volunteer for the position! Have a peaceful voyage! Hahaa!"
~ The best way to pay for a happy moment is to enjoy it ~

LT Sandpaw

"Har, har, very funny Jared," Lacy called after him shaking her head. Still chuckling she broke away from the main crowd taking a less used hall to the officers quarters. lacy paced past the white doors counting them off as she went. Just at eye level small numbers were emblazoned into them, other than that they all appeared to be symmetrically and similar in every way. That was definitely one thing Lacy didn't like about the military, there was little room to be unique when everyone had to be as uniform as animally possible.
"One thirty-four, one thirty-five, one thirty-six here we go." Lacy said to herself dropping her bag and glancing around the hall's tight interior. Several of the sliding doors had already been opened and a few other ranking officers were entering and exiting, occasionally calling out a word of greeting. Straight across from her room was one thirty-seven, which appeared to still be vacant.

A large squirrel strode past as Lacy pressed the button to open her door. She grinned at the squirrel flashing a thumbs up. "Hello sir, I don't think we've met, I'm Lieutenant Keen." The squirrel grunted but otherwise made no response continuing on his way to his quarters. Lacy stuck out her tongue at his back, stickler.

Unimaginative

"Alright, thanks," Said Marv, nodding. He pushed his way back through the crowd, heading for the room.

"133... 135... 137, here we are." The Shrew ran his paw over the numbers, before pulling open the door and entering the room. He poked his head out a moment later, after setting his pistols on his bed, and noticed the Rat standing in the doorway across from him. He wasn't impressed by her unkempt appearance, and had Marv been in charge of the ship, he would have dealt with her right there. As it was, however, there was nothing to be done except for offer a greeting.

"G'day. Captain Marv Yofcke. Well, not Captain, I suppose, not on-board the Daynora," Marv frowned at this, not used to introducing himself as anything other than 'Captain'.
"Anyways, looks like we're neighbors during this trip. Best get to know each other. What's your name?"

LT Sandpaw

Standing at parade rest Lacy listened politely as Captain Marv Yofcke introduced himself. Luckily not all animals were such sticks in the mud, this shrew seemed to be genuine enough, even bothering to speak with a lower officer like herself. Besides, as he had said they were neighbors now, it would do her well to get on his good side.

She dipped her head as he finished starkly summing up her own rank and name in the proper order. "Junior Lieutenant Lacy Keen sir, Administrative Assistant and pilot." Lacy held out a paw to shake his making sure to hold her gaze just a little below his. Marv being a shrew meant he was slightly shorter, and it was considered respectful not to look over senior officers.
"If I could be so bold as to ask sir, what's your position onboard?" She asked, hoping to stimulate a polite conversation. All the primp and proper ways of the military made for some interestingly awkward situations, when beasts were unsure whether higher ranking officers appreciated a more relaxed standing, or rigid formality. Lacy herself had always insisted that lower ranks be relaxed around her in most settings, but every officer was different in this regard.

Unimaginative

Marv looked a bit embarrassed, before admitting that he was unclear about his role on-board.

"To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. When I first volunteered for this, and was first recruited, I assumed I would be captain, but I've had no indications of such. As it is, I don't even know much about this expedition, except that we're checking out a dark colony."

Marv took note of Lacy carefully meeting formalities, a fact which confused him considering the state of her uniform. He had assumed she would be a bit of a loose-cannon, with little regard for authority.

"My turn to ask a question, Lieutenant Keen. What is the reason for the state of your uniform?" While Marv wasn't willing to do anything about it, he was perfectly happy to inquire.

LT Sandpaw

"Ah, ahem." It was Lacy's turn to look embarrassed and she shuffled her stance a little to buy time. Of course, she was stuck in a corner now, and it wouldn't do to lie to an officer. Sucking in her stomach she tried her best to sound casually formal.
"Well sir, as it turns out me and a couple friends might have had a bit too much fun last night." She felt heat rising in her face as she continued. "We had just received our orders, and ah, well we were parting ways so we went out and celebrated, and said good bye... Ah lot." Her ears drooped hoping he wouldn't ask her age. Lacy had the unique advantage of looking older then she was, and who questions a graduate if they are willing to part with their credits?
"Anyway I woke up late sir, and had no time to fix myself up, but I plan on doing so ASAP of course."

Unimaginative

"Yes, I'd get right on that. And next time, I'd recommend civilian clothes when you go out." Marv was joking, though he gave no indication of it. "If it makes you feel better, Lieutenant, I have a number of stories about young officers shortly after graduation. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go put on my uniform." Without waiting for her response, Marv entered his room, sliding the door shut behind him.

Groddil

Vitua Ajenia rose from her knee, pulling the hood of her black robe over her tough, steely-eyed face.
"Yes, my lord. I am yours to command."