News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Swartt and Ferahgo

Started by alexandre, October 13, 2016, 05:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexandre

Is it just me, or did these two characters
seem to have the exact same personalities and very similar positions?

They both met their badger(As in, the one destined to kill them)when the badger was very young and they were beginning to gather a hoard. I also noticed they both had this one vermin that was sort of part of the hoard, but very creepy and kept their distance until they were asked to go on a mission in Salamandastron in exchange for a good portion of that non-existent badger treasure. Any other similarities you guys noticed? Also, what parts of their personalities did you find different?
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Ashleg

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Aye, zey boz 'av zonz. ...Vho died....
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Groddil

Both sons who died after betraying their own fathers. Oh, and both fathers themselves died. Fun!

Ashleg

Both mustelids...
Both warlords...

James Gryphon

Quote from: Groddil on October 16, 2016, 04:52:48 AM
Both sons who died after betraying their own fathers. Oh, and both fathers themselves died. Fun!
Klitch never betrayed Ferahgo; Ferahgo just thought he did, for a little while.

It's true that there are a good number of similarities between Swartt and Ferahgo, but there's several significant personality differences as well. Firstly, Ferahgo demonstrated familial affection for his son and was interested in his upbringing and well-doing, whereas Swartt never gave Veil a thought until he was getting in his way.

Ferahgo also is more of a risk-taker and more confident in his ability to take someone down than Swartt was. Although Swartt had a reputation as a good fighter, we never actually see him scrap until the end of the book, when he has no other choice, while Ferahgo is more claws-on and isn't afraid to mix it up with his enemies. Likewise, strategically Ferahgo isn't terribly concerned about losses, while Swartt seems relatively cautious and tries to avoid overextending his resources.

The last major difference is the nature of their quest. While Swartt did attempt to conquer Salamandastron, he was motivated by a personal vendetta against Sunflash. If the badger hadn't been there, he would have hunted him down somewhere else. Ferahgo had his sights specifically set on Salamandastron and the treasure trove inside, and wasn't concerned with any of its defenders, except inasmuch as they kept him from achieving his goal. Swartt wouldn't have been satisfied with conquering the mountain if he didn't bag Sunflash, nor would Ferahgo have settled for killing Urthstripe if the mountain and the treasure didn't go with it. Those different motivations are significant divergences in the characters.
« Subject to editing »

Groddil

Whoops. Been a while since i read Salamandastron.

alexandre

Quote from: James Gryphon on October 16, 2016, 05:24:56 AM
Quote from: Groddil on October 16, 2016, 04:52:48 AM
Klitch never betrayed Ferahgo; Ferahgo just thought he did, for a little while.

It's true that there are a good number of similarities between Swartt and Ferahgo, but there's several significant personality differences as well. Firstly, Ferahgo demonstrated familial affection for his son and was interested in his upbringing and well-doing, whereas Swartt never gave Veil a thought until he was getting in his way.

Ferahgo also is more of a risk-taker and more confident in his ability to take someone down than Swartt was. Although Swartt had a reputation as a good fighter, we never actually see him scrap until the end of the book, when he has no other choice, while Ferahgo is more claws-on and isn't afraid to mix it up with his enemies. Likewise, strategically Ferahgo isn't terribly concerned about losses, while Swartt seems relatively cautious and tries to avoid overextending his resources.

The last major difference is the nature of their quest. While Swartt did attempt to conquer Salamandastron, he was motivated by a personal vendetta against Sunflash. If the badger hadn't been there, he would have hunted him down somewhere else. Ferahgo had his sights specifically set on Salamandastron and the treasure trove inside, and wasn't concerned with any of its defenders, except inasmuch as they kept him from achieving his goal. Swartt wouldn't have been satisfied with conquering the mountain if he didn't bag Sunflash, nor would Ferahgo have settled for killing Urthstripe if the mountain and the treasure didn't go with it. Those different motivations are significant divergences in the characters.

If what you say is true, I am surprised Ferahgo lost to Swartt in my villain poll, in what way was Swartt a better villain?

Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

clunylooney

The key difference in my opinion is that Swartt is better than Ferahgo. Swartt actually kind of had some character and he wanted revenge and we saw his complete journey and he is smart and awesome. Ferahgo has a big horde and he wants to conquer salamandastron. That's about it. So IMO Swartt is a better villain than Ferahgo. But Ferahgo was definitely the better dad.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me