News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Hares and their Loyalty

Started by redwallgurl, February 05, 2012, 06:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannflower Reguba

Easy. The hares loved eachother and they got married and reproduced! That's how it happens on earth too!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Primrosewarrior

you just ruined the whole 'mystory' thing, dude1

Marlfox Vanish

Dotti does have a point is tells you that there were other badger lords, even before stonepaw, and frankly, i think that Jacques wanted it to be shrouded in mystery. there will always be a badger lord and when there's not, one will come shortly. 

Coobreedan

Quote from: Nightfire on February 06, 2012, 02:10:16 PM
It is kinda weird. In real life, badgers and hares don't get along whatsoever. Wonder if Mr. Jacques did that on purpose?

Probably. ;D
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

MatthiasMan

Quote from: Coobreedan on April 03, 2012, 04:18:24 PM
Quote from: Nightfire on February 06, 2012, 02:10:16 PM
It is kinda weird. In real life, badgers and hares don't get along whatsoever. Wonder if Mr. Jacques did that on purpose?

Probably. ;D

I don't agree..... JK!! I do agree!

Redwallfan7

But Redwall is a fictional series. That's why he wrote about those two species getting along. It would never work in real life, but in Redwall, it works.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

W0NWILL

I'm planning a fanfic exploring the origins of Salamandastron, a tribe of hares end up being chased out of their home, their leader died while that was happening, her name was Yoliea (hint, hint). And they end up meeting Ceteruler, who helps them settle in to a recently extinct volcano (another hint, hint) thus become firm friends, and haters of vermin. Ceteruler had some trouble with vermin in his past, not saying any more till I get it out.

Agentclone

it has something to do with lord brocktree since he started long patrol and plus he's really old

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: W0NWILL on July 10, 2012, 08:22:58 AM
I'm planning a fanfic exploring the origins of Salamandastron, a tribe of hares end up being chased out of their home, their leader died while that was happening, her name was Yoliea (hint, hint). And they end up meeting Ceteruler, who helps them settle in to a recently extinct volcano (another hint, hint) thus become firm friends, and haters of vermin. Ceteruler had some trouble with vermin in his past, not saying any more till I get it out.

That sounds cool.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Corporal Firalay

What we know is that at one point the whole of Mossflower was terrorised by vermin. We also know that Martin and some woodlanders banded up to try and save the goodbeasts. Hmm... I reckon that after this an unknown badger decided to never let the land of Mossflower and the Western coast be overrun by vermin again, so he went out to find 'perilous hares' and they situated themselves in the mountain, growing in number since then. I suppose at the beginning, when numbers were small, the Badger Lord and the hares became quite good friends, as it was not until Lord Brocktree that regiments and strict army positions, rules and barracks where introduced. So before Brocktree, I believe that the original Badger Lord and the hares would eat all at the same table and sleep in the same room, calling each other by their first names, rather than Sergeant or Captain. In my tale, the original Badger Lord saved the entire group of hares from peril, the first renewed attack on Mossflower after Martin wiped out the verminand that's when they created an actual loyalty to him, more than just friendship. This loyalty was written on the walls of Salamandastron and was followed ever since. This is my belief as to the start of the fighting hares and where their undying loyalty to the Badger Lords came from.
"My Horde is mighty, my Horde is fearless, shudder under the gaze of Viskata Tatt - fear my name!" -Viskata Tatt
Read the whole story at: http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=3660.0

Lord Gorath

Osu, are are you supposed to be the mad March hare from the North Mountains?

Jetthebinturong

REVIVE

Is it just me that feels that Ceteruler was the latest old Badger Lord? What I mean is he is called Ceteruler the Just whereas the other old Badger Lords have warlike names such as The Wild and Spearlady.

In my view, I believe that the first Badger Lord was Bluestripe the wild. A barbarian from the north who dyed his middle stripe with woad, Bluestripe arrived at Salamandastron with his army of March Hares when it was ruled over by a vermin conqueror. Bluestripe defeated the conqueror and took Salamandastron as his military stronghold. The traditional hares arrived at the mountain and joined Bluestripe's army (The traditional hares interbred with the march hares which is why the Salamandastron hares are the traditional ones and not march hares) Bluestripe stopped his barbaric ways and became an efficient military leader who then became Badger Lord and passed on his title to his daughter Gorse who wielded a spear and so the line went on.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Osu

That sounds like an interesting story, Jet!

I think there were hundreds (at least) of badger lords and ladies before Brocktree formed the Long Patrol, myself. I have the idea that the "current" badgers and hares have long forgotten who the first occupants of the mountain were, theoretically because the mountain was first occupied before written records were kept. Like cavemen, for lack of better word. I also have this idea that there was once a very large number of hares there, more than the 2k that Russano commanded, though I don't have much evidence for it. There are so many carved tunnels and passageways, especially deep inside the mountain, that it seems logical.

Quote from: Lord Gorath on November 19, 2012, 02:58:50 AM
Osu, are are you supposed to be the mad March hare from the North Mountains?
Naw, I'm just the Easter bunny. ;D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Free Thought

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on April 14, 2013, 06:57:48 PM

In my view, I believe that the first Badger Lord was Bluestripe the wild.

I agree with Jet on this one.  Again going back to my FanFics here, but I have pegged Bluestripe as the first Badger Lord of Salamandastron (sorry if I spelt that wrong- it's a brain teaser!).  In regards to the hares, I have them as fellow forge smiths and friends first.  Naturally they would band together and fight when trouble arose, but it was under Lord Brocktree that the first order of Long Patrol was assembled.
For those interested, I posted the excerpt for this Bluestripe theory under the Fan Fic section of the Forum, entitled "Mountain and Stone."  :P