Luke's Sword

Started by AbbotAlf0805, June 09, 2012, 03:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeminyaTome

Quote from: MatthiasMan on June 23, 2012, 04:23:05 PM
Forget that. I think it was forged at Noonvale. I mean really, it would all make sense.

The people of Noonvale were peaceable creatures. They would never forge a sword. Perhaps one of Luke's ancestors forged it, or maybe it was a gift from someone. Who knows. If it was the sword of Luke's ancestors, then it would definitely NOT be in a Redwall book. The earliest it goes is Lord Brocktree, which is about when Luke was alive, maybe even before he was born.
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

321tumbler

Quote from: GeminyaTome on July 15, 2012, 02:55:15 PM
Quote from: MatthiasMan on June 23, 2012, 04:23:05 PM
Forget that. I think it was forged at Noonvale. I mean really, it would all make sense.

The people of Noonvale were peaceable creatures. They would never forge a sword. Perhaps one of Luke's ancestors forged it, or maybe it was a gift from someone. Who knows. If it was the sword of Luke's ancestors, then it would definitely NOT be in a Redwall book. The earliest it goes is Lord Brocktree, which is about when Luke was alive, maybe even before he was born.
I agree with you.

Captain Tammo

I personally think it was simply forged somewhere by somebeast.. What I mean by this is that both will most likely remain nameless.

This brings up another question, the only blacksmiths I've read of in Brian's books were the badgers at Salamandastron, but those I'd imagine were exclusively for the Long Patrol. So, where did all of the other weapons held by vermin, wanderers, foreigners, sailors, etc. come from?? Do you think there were several unmentioned blacksmiths across Mossflower?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

AxeHound

Maybe vermin have their own blacksmiths. I would imagine that a place like Sampetra or Marshank would have a smithy.

(please do not send me the pm game messages)

Martin the warrior

Apples is ripe when they are ready  
When pears is ripe they'll fall
What must happen will happen or       
it won't happen at all

To love, you must first love yourself

brocka

I tend to agree that Luke's sword was forged by his ancestors or their allies at some time before the saga begins. Also, I think the various vermin made their own weaponry. Usually it is described as ugly and ungraceful, whereas the sword of Martin was strong as well as beautiful. Which is, incidentally, not always the case with people. Sometimes the accepted concept of personal beauty does not denote goodness on the inside, and a rather plain exterior may conceal a lovely personality. Sorry I got off-topic for a bit of observation!

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: AxeHound on January 05, 2013, 05:24:59 PM
Maybe vermin have their own blacksmiths. I would imagine that a place like Sampetra or Marshank would have a smithy.

Well yes and no, The vermin in the Rogue crew were good at building as well as the one dude that built the boats for the dibbuns. But the vermin in Rakkety Tam were not good builders, and the Vermin in the book Martin  the warrior, mattimeo, and Marlfox used slaves to do all the building.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Dragoon

woah woah, back up back up. where is this whole "lukes family is from mossflower" coming from. I pride myself as a redwall fan and ive read all the books at least a couple of times and nowhere does it mention this!!! o_o

psybox

It's from Legend of Luke, they where chased out when Verdauga Greeneyes took over.

Dragoon

guess i have to reread legend of luke :c thanks

Kitsune

Legend of Luke hardback is the book of the month! (Or was) I see that every time I get on.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: PluggFiretail on March 07, 2013, 11:14:08 PM
Legend of Luke hardback is the book of the month! (Or was) I see that every time I get on.
The book of the month is now Lord Brocktree. But thats gunna change soon...

Life is too short to rush through it.

alderbowbeast

Before I begin, for the sake of clarity, I will be calling Martin's grandfather "Martin I" and Martin of Redwall "Martin II."  We know that Martin I gave Luke the sword and then Luke gave Martin II the sword, so we know the sword is very old.  By the time Tsarmina breaks it the sword would be roughly 60 seasons old.  We also know for a fact that it had to have been forged in Mossflower, because that is where Luke and his tribe came from.  We know Luke's tribe came from Mossflower because of their lore.  During The Legend of Luke Winred sings a song about St. Ninians church, the same St. Ninians that appears in Mossflower, Redwall, Mattimeo, and The Pearls of Lutra.  Luke also comments that he and his wife, Sayna, were born in St. Ninians.
Because of this the sword must have come from Mossflower region.  My guess is it was forged by one of Brocktree's ancestors, if not by Brocktree himself, and given to Martin I, as a symbol of his rank or even to show he was a loyal soldier in the ranks of the woodlanders which Brocktree and his ancestors ruled.
Alder, Recorder of Redwall Abbey and Mossflower Country

Free Thought

My turn!

Luke's sword came from his father, Martin the Elder Warrior, as he's been called by many to differentiate him from Martin the Warrior of Mossflower.  Where this sword comes from, Jacques never tells us for either one of two reasons.  Number one, he didn't see it as important (I mean the 'sword' itself doesn't seem to be noted as anything special until Boar got his paws on it), or number two- he wasn't done writing about it before he passed away.  Personally, I think he would have been planning an epic about Martin the Elder Warrior, but to that we'll never know now.  So here's my take on the whole sword, pulling from my own FanFic so yes, it is not based on "Redwallian" fact as it were.

The sword was a gift from the Badger Lords to Martin the Elder's maternal family.  On the deathbed of his mother's father he is giving the blade.  It is countless seasons old- being made in the dawning days, and forged from Starstone.  Importantly, the blade has never been replaced- the blade will only break if the wielder loses their heart (which is why it breaks with Tsarmina as Martin's heart was still broken over Rose's death). After many adventures with it, Martin the Elder gives the sword to Luke when they journey to Mossflower from Southsward (yes, I have Luke being born in the south and travelling to Mossflower- yes he uses being born at Saint Ninian's as a cover-up for who he really is) and he uses it in battle for the first time against some scouts of the Thousand Eyes Army.  The sword will always protect the wielder from harm, it always kept those of their family safe. (More of a psychological reassurance and necessarily magical in property)  After Martin the Elder departs the mainland to return to his homeland and Luke is driven north with his 'tribe' and from there we know he gives it to Martin the Warrior.  The cycle comes full circle when Boar reforges the blade in the same flames it was born.  Never touching the hilt.  The hilt of the blade will never be touched.  That is the heart of the sword.  Even Boar comments on the hilt being a good one when Martin shows it to him.

That's my take on the sword anyways.  It is just a fiction theory, but interesting all the same.

I wish that we did know more about some of these things, but it seems Jacques left a few things open to our own imaginations!

Romsca

Wow! Just a question: how could a sword be forged without the one forging it touching the hilt