News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Dark Forest

Started by Galedeep, July 02, 2011, 11:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taggerung_of_Redwall

To throw out there:

The series was never technical on anything.

Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Galedeep

Quote from: Wot Wot! on July 05, 2011, 02:32:09 AM
Well, we know he was a big fan of Homer and the Iliad, perhaps he was a big fan of Dante's Inferno as well, which feature the gates to hell with the inscription "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."
That might be it, assuming he read Dante's Inferno.    

Captain Tammo

Well Brian also used an abbey, yet said he didn't put religion in the books, and st. Ninian's church as well. Maybe he was including the places, just removing any religious ceremonies and stuff. That's why we never read in any detail about weddings, and birth. Just "o yeah, they got married and had a baby"
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Galedeep

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 05, 2011, 11:06:57 PM
Well Brian also used an abbey, yet said he didn't put religion in the books, and st. Ninian's church as well. Maybe he was including the places, just removing any religious ceremonies and stuff. That's why we never read in any detail about weddings, and birth. Just "o yeah, they got married and had a baby"
Yes, he was sort of brief on that sort of thing, wasn't he.

Osu

Quote from: Galedeep on July 04, 2011, 08:43:24 PM
I don't get it, how can Hellgates not be a reference to hell? I just don't quite understand your point.
It probably was in the first Redwall novel, but as there is no religion in the series, Hell isn't present. If it were meant to be the Christian Hell, it would have been referenced as such. But it never is - "hellgates," one word, is the Redwall version of "bad afterlife place." Erm, does that make a little more sense...?

Taggerung - Indeed it isn't. XD But we all know technical would just ruin the mystery. And then what would we the fans argue about here? Yarr, indeed, 'tis better this way, after all, I suppose.  8)
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Yeah, that was an obvious point, by nature.

Wot Wot!

Quote from: Osu on July 06, 2011, 03:43:04 AM
Quote from: Galedeep on July 04, 2011, 08:43:24 PM
I don't get it, how can Hellgates not be a reference to hell? I just don't quite understand your point.
It probably was in the first Redwall novel, but as there is no religion in the series, Hell isn't present. If it were meant to be the Christian Hell, it would have been referenced as such. But it never is - "hellgates," one word, is the Redwall version of "bad afterlife place." Erm, does that make a little more sense...?

Taggerung - Indeed it isn't. XD But we all know technical would just ruin the mystery. And then what would we the fans argue about here? Yarr, indeed, 'tis better this way, after all, I suppose.  8)

Good bally point there, Osu, wot!
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.

Osu

Why, thank you, Wot Wot! ;D

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I've been reading Ask Brian files recently:

From Volume 1:

"I try not to have any religious connotations at all, therefore no comparisons are intended. I have creatures die and to my mind they go on but who knows where? Dark forest is meant to be mysterious rather than menacing."

Galedeep

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 08, 2011, 05:11:39 PM

From Volume 1:

"I try not to have any religious connotations at all, therefore no comparisons are intended. I have creatures die and to my mind they go on but who knows where? Dark forest is meant to be mysterious rather than menacing."
Hmm, that's interesting

Osu

Whelp, that solves it, to my mind. Mysterious rather than menacing, no religious connotations. I guess hellgates and the sunny slopes are just euphemisms for dark forest as well, or vice versa.

Icefire

From Volume 1:

I see where he's going with that...unfortunately, with my background I don't think I'll ever be able to read anything without religious connotations attaching themselves in my mind.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Redwall Musician

Well, think about it. Do mice really have religion? It would be a little strange.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Quote from: Redwall Musician on July 10, 2011, 04:26:01 AM
Well, think about it. Do mice really have religion? It would be a little strange.

Okay, I seriously don't follow that in the remotest degree.

Tiria Wildlough

They certainly don't have any religion. When they say 'grace', it's just a little song to the seasons thanking them for the food. Which I think is a little strange. :P
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.