News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Is redwall A religous establishment?

Started by xxmpxx, August 17, 2012, 06:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazemane

In The Long Patrol, Tansy and co. figure out that Redwall's south wall was built partially over Kotir's sunken north wall. And then, I don't remember how specifically Brian Jacques detailed this next part, but for me, it seemed like the narration was suggesting that the northwest corner of Kotir's wall was underneath something like the center of Redwall's south wall. When Foremole and his team dig down underneath the wall, they wind up in the hollow remains of Kotir's northwest walltower. In that case, about half of a wall of Redwall is built over Kotir.

Of course, even then, the moles don't dig straight down--they dig a tunnel down on an incline, which other beasts eventually travel down with rope guards on the sides, so the tunnel the moles dig must only be so steep. And that tunnel is what eventually leads to Kotir's Northwest walltower. So maybe, technically, Redwall isn't built directly over any part of Kotir. Just close to it.

WoodlandWarrior

I think Mr. Jacques work definitely showcases his Catholic influences for sure, but I do not think the Abbey is a religious place.  I think I read some where Mr. Jacques even stated he wanted to keep religion out of his books.

It is obvious Redwall Abbey is mirrored to a degree after monasteries and abbeys of our history but like other people have commented, it is really just a building comprised of good beasts who put kindness and helping others above all.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Ferrousferret

An abbey is basically a religious charity organization. It may not have religion, but it's an abbey in every other sense of the word. I always figured it was built as a fortress because those who built it had just come out of a massive civil war/ multi-generational occupation that didn't need to have happened, had their ancestors.been more prepared.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Ferrousferret on June 24, 2013, 01:44:20 PM
An abbey is basically a religious charity organization. It may not have religion, but it's an abbey in every other sense of the word. I always figured it was built as a fortress because those who built it had just come out of a massive civil war/ multi-generational occupation that didn't need to have happened, had their ancestors.been more prepared.
BJ said himself that he had just used it for the sake of names and stuff like that. He also said that he wanted to refrain from having religion in the Redwall series. ;)

Life is too short to rush through it.

BadgerLordFiredrake

Interestingly, in the first book, Cluny and his horde frequently speak of the Devil/Satan and there is Asmodeus.  Basil Stag Hare says Lord, but none of the other books have such references.

Just thought of this today, early morning:  Martin is somewhat the guiding spirit of the Abbey.  All beasts believe in life after death of a sort.
baby turtle forever

The Shade

Yes, in Redwall(the book)you really get that feel of religion. Like when they say, The Order Of Mice and that sort of thing.And of course, the rats, speaking of The Devil, Satan, and Hellsteeth.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

BadgerLordFiredrake

Well, Hellgates are often mentioned in all books

(We will send your bones to Hellgates, every single evil one in the Guosim Bladechant, Eulalia)

which is now almost the only remnant of that.  Also,  the Dark Forest, going to the sunny streams/meadows in Loamhedge, and general life-after-death schemes.
baby turtle forever

Blaggut

I remember vermin like talking bout maybe some create, and there is hellgates and shady forest
~Just a soft space boi~

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah zink zat ze only religion in Redwall iz tae dae good an' 'elp ozerz.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Faiyloe

This pretty much covers what Redwall stands for it was refereed to as the Abbey charter by brother Herbert and recited my Dandin and Saxtus. (Mariel of Redwall)

To be brothers and sisters of peace and good will, living together in harmony under the protection of Redwall Abbey, forsaking all unnecessary forms of violence, not only to Mossflower, its trees, grasses, flowers and insects, but to all living creatures. To help and comfort the dispossessed, harbor orphans and waifs, offer shelter to all creatures alike, give clothing, warmth and food to any beast or creature that is deemed in need of such. To educate and learn, particularly in the healing arts, comfort the sick, nurse the injured and help the wounded. To take our food form the earth and replenish the land by caring for it, husbanding crops and living in harmony with the seasons always. To honor and protect our friends and brethren, only raising paw to do battle when our life at Redwall is threatened by treachery and the shadow of war; at these times every Redwall creature should show courage, fortitude and obedience to Father Abbot. Albeit the taking of another life must always be justified and never carried out in a wanton manner. 
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Aye, an' zat juzt made me day. 'OORAY!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

The Shade

They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I