News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Deer in Mossflower??????

Started by The Shade, July 26, 2013, 10:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowed One

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on July 26, 2013, 11:01:33 PM
My guess is that it's just a mistake. There are a few images that are simply wrong, usually it's because the illustrator didn't actually read the book (in some cases because it wasn't finished at that time the illustrations needed to be drawn).

Yeah, I agree. On one edition of Mariel of Redwall, Gabool had a pistol.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

The Shade

Really?? Can you post it here??
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Captain Tammo

Lets get back on topic, the deer. Usually they run away at the first sight of danger so I would imagine they wouldn't be around Mossflower much. But there was a horse in Redwall, so why not a deer too?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Shade

Also, there are pigs, cattle, and goats in Redwall.

Romsca

Quote from: Shadowed One on July 27, 2013, 12:41:09 PM
My guess is that it's just a mistake. There are a few images that are simply wrong, usually it's because the illustrator didn't actually read the book (in some cases because it wasn't finished at that time the illustrations needed to be drawn).

Yeah, I agree. On one edition of Mariel of Redwall, Gabool had a pistol.

That's why I like to think they used guns ;D

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 28, 2013, 06:17:48 PM
Lets get back on topic, the deer. Usually they run away at the first sight of danger so I would imagine they wouldn't be around Mossflower much. But there was a horse in Redwall, so why not a deer too?

I would think they might be extremely rare, but Basil was just lucky to see one

The Shade

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah zav zome deer ze ozer day vhen ah vent for a valk in ze voodz!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Tam and Martin

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on July 29, 2013, 06:21:47 PM
Ah zav zome deer ze ozer day vhen ah vent for a valk in ze voodz!
We see them all the time at our Grandmother's house  ;D

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Leatho Shellhound

Here

I see what you mean. Well there was a horse in the books.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Maudie

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

The Shade

Thanks Leatho ;) Anyway, as I was saying, deer do exist in the redwall world. However, thinking about it, I think they might only be in the south. At the start of the book, Ferago and the horde are in the south, and thats were they might have found the skull. I don't think they killed it, because the deer could have outran them. Unless it was a really young or old one.

Ungatt Trunn

Yes, there have been mistakes in the illustrations of the Redwall books before. Like in one of the editions (Russian?) of Mariel Of Redwall, Gabool is shown wearing a pistol around his side, even though there are no guns of any kind in the Redwall series. But it can be considered a different case in the thing about the deer skull. The artist who drew Gabool wearing a pistol must have taken a wrong impression on the stereotypes of pirates. But you can't really apply the same theory of stereotyping to deers and what not.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Buzz_Bumble

The deer skull on a flag could simply be a stereotype of medieval human flags. You can't really give the illustrations much credence because they are done by other people and do have mistakes - even the Mossflower map changes from book to book / edition to edition.

Maudie

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on July 31, 2013, 08:09:04 AM
The deer skull on a flag could simply be a stereotype of medieval human flags. You can't really give the illustrations much credence because they are done by other people and do have mistakes - even the Mossflower map changes from book to book / edition to edition.

Yeah, but Mr. Jacques always made a sketch of his own for the illustrator to use as a reference with the maps.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3