News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

A call for a Redwall Compendium of Knowledge

Started by WarriorMouse, February 07, 2014, 06:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WarriorMouse

I was looking for information to use to develop my scifi-twist fanfic about the origins of the Redwall world, when i realized there was no central source of information. I realized that this would be a really big problem for others who want more information. So i suggest that as a community, we create a conglomeration of Redwall stuff. Everything you would ever want to find out about Redwall in one place.
Sure, i am aware of sites like that Redwall encyclopedia website, but that is only a catalogue of the contents. Where is the history? Where is the collection that tells information about the frog culture? Why was there a horse in the first Redwall book? Is there a detailed timeline of events in Mossflower? What lies in the great beyond, past the incomplete edges of the maps? And why do the landmarks keep changing relative to one another? Has anyone done a complete, detailed breakdown of Mossflower country? How big is the Redwall map? Why is each kind of animal's behavior and linguistics so unique to their species when all kinds of animals are so tightly intertwined in society? Why are vermin bad? Where do vermin come from? Why are there no other places to live besides Redwall that aren't in severe oppression? Why am I starting to ramble off questions that might be impossible to have one definite answer?

I think you get my point. A big central information base for Redwall. I think this is not something constrained to a thread, or a forum, but rather it should be an online mini-wiki thing just for here. Could anyone help me accomplish this, for the benefit of the Redwall community?

Blazemane

I honestly don't mean to shut your excitement down or anything--I just figure that if you didn't know about the Redwall wiki already, you'd be really interested. It is far and away the most comprehensive Redwall-information site in existence, going into a ton of detail about some characters/events/places, and a little bit of detail about practically everything else (and even leaves room in a few articles to discuss some of the more open-ended matters you've mentioned). And it continues to be frequented and edited to this day.

http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/Redwall_Wiki

Of course, you'd mentioned that you aware of sites like the Redwall encyclopedia (Snowfur's one, right?), so I could be telling you something you already know, and in that case, I'm being no help at all. But I wanted to mention it just in case.

Another thought: the Redwall wiki accepts essays, which can and often do go into the sorts of things you're talking about. If you wanted a website more completely devoted to those sorts of discussion, awesome, but if there's something you want to get started on talking about straight away, I think that would give you a temporary venue for it.

I suspect that if LordTBT sees this thread, he will likely have some input of his own to put in on his own...

WarriorMouse

I was not aware of that Redwall wikia. It seems like i will have some "internetting" to do.  However, from what you describe it doesn't seem like much of a serious organized project, more like a horde of stuff. If there was something as organized and well researched, categorized, and planned out as an encyclopedia, or Geminya's Tome.

Blazemane

Ah, then I might have described it poorly. Personally, I find it to be incredibly well-organized. But the best judge of what you're looking for is yourself, of course, and the best way to find out if it suits your needs is to go exploring through it.

WarriorMouse

Well, I am very new to this community. I still have a lot of things to explore. I have read all the books, but not been able to get the whole Redwall online experience. I think i will enjoy this community, though. It seems like it is so polite and open-minded. That's not something that can be said about most forums.

Just a sidenote, I have seen a Redwall Abbey cardboard model kit available online. Do you know where I could get one?

Blazemane

I hope you have a ton of fun around here! There's definitely a lot to do.

The cheapest one I can find on the internet is on AbeBooks for $46.68. There's one on ebay for $59.95. Other sales on Amazon are around $100, and Barnes and Noble's cheapest is around $150.

Yowch.

http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/redwall-abbey/author/brian-jacques/first-edition/page-1/

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XBuild+Your+own+Redwall+Abbey&_nkw=Build+Your+own+Redwall+Abbey&_sacat=0&_from=R40

WarriorMouse

It doesn't look like Barnes and noble has them anymore. Not for at least 4 years.

Abbey miniatures aside, what place should i look through for information first? I know this website is bursting with burstfuls of good stuff(can you tell i like making up words?) and I want to gather my information on the origins of Redwall and all of its mysteries as soon as possible before i lose interest and forget about it for another year and a half!

Wylder Treejumper

"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

WarriorMouse