"Why ‘Redwall’ Should Be the Next Huge Movie Series"

Started by DanielofRedwall, July 16, 2017, 07:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

If a movie was adapted, I could see it being similar to what was done with Master and Commander. Like Redwall, it is a series of more than 20 books. For this film, most of the plot was taken from a single book in the series (book #10 out of 21) and the rest used elements from the other stories. What if a Redwall movie did something similar? That is, they just picked one of the books in the series and made a film for that? Not to create a debate about which book would be the best pick, but what if they did The Long Patrol as a single movie entry? If it flops, the whole series isn't ruined and if it's a success then there is still room for more!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ashleg

It would still be safest to just not make a movie, in the end.

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

Someone mentioned a Netflix series. Does anyone think that would be a better option?
Case in point, Game of thrones. I myself haven't seen the show or read the books, but it has certainly had success with the HBO series. If anyone has experienced this series and can make comparisons for us in regards to the adaptation we would appreciate it!
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

How about an unofficial fan-made series?

I fear ANY official adaptation would screw it up, but if it's unofficial it can be bad and no one will care.

Sunflash the Mace

An unofficial fan adaptation would almost certainly be awful. There's just no budget for it, and then there's all the copyright woes and etc creators would have to deal with as well.

There seems to be so little faith in movie adaptations here, but look at Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. Pretty universally well loved adaptations. Good adaptations can be done with reverence to the source material. I never much cared for Game of Thrones, but that's a good example to of what was, initially at least, a very faithful and hugely successful adaptation.

Ashleg

Fan adaptations can actually be good.
Have you ever seen the Warriors fandom? They took the books and made them into an anime of sorts.

Jetthebinturong

Also the Percy Jackson webseries by TheVideoBird. Way better than the movies were. Plus Isaac Upton is the perfect Percy.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Andy

There's already been an official adaptation of Redwall, though, and it obviously didn't stop the series from retaining a dedicated fanbase. We're here,  and that game is being made!  The worst that another, modern, adaptation could do would be to make more kids curious about where Redwall originated. Even if it's bad, it'd draw in a bigger audience because youngsters would see the movie or series and regardless of whether or not they like it, some will think "that's based on a book series? I should check those out."
Only actions can speak the truth.

Ashleg

I for one wouldn't want a bigger audience.
You know what happens to big fandoms *shudders*.

Matthias720

Agreed. While I enjoy Redwall and its success as much as the next person, I think having a huge wave of suddenly-appearing half-fans could be damaging.

Andy

Communities and fandoms that get too small are just as bad as ones that are too big, though. Both have their problems.
Only actions can speak the truth.

Sunflash the Mace

Quote from: Andy on August 25, 2017, 04:51:17 AM
Communities and fandoms that get too small are just as bad as ones that are too big, though. Both have their problems.

I agree. The innocence and glory of the original Redwall Online Community is probably lost forever, but I think it would be fantastic to bring in new fans to the series and rejuvenate interest.

The Warriors fan adaptation seems alright, but I would like to see something much more polished and professional done for Redwall. Like I say, a Netflix series is a good idea and has it's own benefits, but I'd still like to get a theatrical release too. Redwall is so magical it deserves to be seen in theaters. Or am I becoming a minority in believing there's a magic in going to movie theaters?

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.