Salamandastron: Civil War

Started by Unimaginative, October 21, 2017, 01:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unimaginative

"My sons, be wise, and be strong, both of you."

His mother's last words echoed through his mind as gazed steadily ahead. The thrones that had once belonged to him and his brother now lay empty; Ehedetor now sat in the largest, most ornate of the thrones, and Doboslav had fled, along with any disloyal hares of the Long Patrol. A blaze of fury rushed through Ehedetor, and he stood suddenly, grabbing the warhammer that had rested against the throne. He swung wildly at his brother's throne, over and over, until it was naught but a pile of rubble on the ground. He stood, panting, and the door to his throne room creaked open.

"Alright, sah?"

Falter Ellick Sodsworth, Soddy, stood at the door, peering in, his unnaturally long ear nearly touching the ground. The hare glanced at the stones on the ground, which had formerly been a gorgeous throne, but seemed unfazed.

"Of course," rumbled Ehedetor, though he was breathing heavily. "Soddy, have the runners returned yet? I want news of my brother."

"M'not sure, I'll jus' go and find out, shall I?"

"Yes. Do." The mighty badger, still breathless, set down his hammer and returned to his throne as Soddy vacated the room.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

"My sons, be wise, and be strong. Both of you."

Doboslav scoffed aloud as he thought about the words his mother had said as she lay on her deathbed. Doboslav knew that his brother wasn't wise, that he was a hot-headed, stoic fool, who would drive Salamandastron to ruin should he hold the throne. Doboslav regretted fighting, regretted that he had been forced to leave his rightful home, and that so many of his loyal hares had dropped everything to follow him.

Now he sought Redwall Abbey, the legendary fortress in the middle of Mossflower Woods. He knew the Abbess to be kind, though Doboslav remained pessimistic that she would allow them to wage their war from the Abbey. But one way or another, Doboslav knew he would need to find a place to set up base, for his brother would not rest in his pursuit of him; the stakes were too high. Doboslav knew that war was ahead, and he intended to be the victor.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Soddy stood outside the door, shaking his head. Ehedetor was in a rage, the hare knew, and those bouts of fury left him tired. The Long Patrol veteran was used to seeing his liege infuriated, having fought beside him in many battles, but for him to destroy his brother's throne... He sighed. Reconciliation between the twin badgers was unlikely.

"You; Ridjard," Soddy said, as the young hare passed by.
"Find Leafblade. Ask him if the runners have returned. Ehedetor wants to know."

Ichabod frowned. It was rare to see Doboslav in a foul mood. Still, the band of hares continued their trek through the rain, on their quest to the Abbey.

"Lights ahead!" Somebeast called.

Sure enough, Ichabod could make out faint light further down the road, a sign that they had nearly reached their destination. Sure enough, before long the mighty sandstone building had emerged from the storm. The band of hares approached the gate, and Doboslav stepped forward, knocking three times on the door.

They waited for a response...
"Once built a steamboat in a meadow
Cos I'd forgotten how to sail" - The Gardener , The Tallest Man on Earth

Krantor the Brutal

Ridjard de Trovela, the juvenile hare lept to attention as the high ranking hare called to him. He began ranting as he saluted, "Yes, sah! I will right away, sah! I'm on my way sah!" then he paused and asked Soddy, "Uh, where might he be?"

"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

Unimaginative

Soddy rolled his eyes, though the Ridjard's energy certainly impressed him.

"M'well, 'e should be at the gates, watching for the runners. That's where I left 'im, I think."

Krantor the Brutal

Ridjard saluted, and immediately ran off. Once at the gate he spotted General Leafblade and he called out, "General, his lordship requires your presence, sah!"
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

Scott McLamok

Captain Rolf Leafblade, quickly approached the young hare, "Alright bally chap, I will attend to his lordship immediately." He turned and poking the young hare's chest, said "By the way, I am Captain, not a general.
~
Rolf saluted  Sodsworth and Lord Ehedetor as he said, "My Lord, you wished to see me?"
"A knife, thrown just right, can accomplish wonderful things." -Cayde- 6

"I'm ready! How bout you?" - Emile-A239

"If you win you live. If you lose you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." – Eren Jaeger

"Keep your wits sharp and your blade sharper." – Mandalore the Destroyer

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

This is the Way.

Unimaginative

"Have the runners returned?" Asked Ehedetor, staring down the hare. "I want to know where my brother is. And what he's up to."

Scott McLamok

"Not yet my lord, but judging by the small dust cloud coming from the north east and speed of those young gallopers they will be here about tomorrow at dawn"

"If you win you live. If you lose you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." – Eren Jaeger

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

This is the Way.

Unimaginative

Ehedetor nodded, and gestured for Leafblade to exit.

"Be prepared to greet them, and send them straight to me."

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

At Redwall Abbey, the massive door that served as an entrance creaked open, and the youthful Abbess Tella opened the door. Her eyes opened wide in shock at seeing the Badger Lord and the company of hares, and she seemed at a loss for a moment.

"Doboslav? Why are you here? And the Long Patrol?". She asked. She knew both brothers, though she had a habit of mixing them up. She often guessed which was which.

"My mother is dead. Ehedetor has exiled me, and the loyal members of the Long Patrol. We need a place to stay the night, and plan our next move. We were hoping we could spend a few nights here, Abbess." Doboslav said, bowing his head. He neglected to mention that he intended to operate out of the Abbey. He would save that for breakfast, and a private meeting between the Abbess, him, and any other creatures they deemed had importance in the discussions.

OOC: Alright, Doboslav is in the Abbey. We're going to timeskip to dawn after/during Scott's post, so we can get this rolling for real.  ;D

Wylder Treejumper

OOC: Finally, Brother Eldon can get in the action!
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Scott McLamok

At dawn a galloper came running up. The young hare stopped in front of the long patrol captain,"Scouted up north east, Captain"
"Top o' marks young lad, Lord Ehedetor requests your presence, wot wot."
The young hare entered, the room in which Soddy and  Ehedetor were in, "My Lord, it seems to me that the rebels have fled north east, toward Redwall Abbey."

This is the Way.

Unimaginative

Ehedetor stared blankly ahead, registering what the runner had said.

"Redwall..." He nodded. "You're dismissed," he said, gesturing to the hare. "Soddy."

"Yes sah?"

"You and Leafblade are to head to the Abbey immediately. Convince Abbess Tella not to allow Doboslav to stay."

"Yes, sah."

Soddy left to fetch Leafblade, and Ehedetor was left alone with his thoughts.

******************************************DAWN, THE NEXT DAY*******************************************************************************

OOC: Alright, here's the stitch; The meeting is soon to begin; attendees will be Doboslav, Ichabod, Eldon, and maybe an NPC or two. At some point, Leafblade and Soddy will arrive at the Abbey, and be invited to the meeting.

Doboslav sluggishly climbed out of bed. Well, beds. Because of his huge frame, the Abbess hadn't been able to give him a proper room; instead he had been left to sleep in the Gatehouse, with two beds pushed together. His Long Patrol had camped outside of the Abbey, though a few captains were permitted to set up tents within the walls. Stepping outside, Doboslav wasn't surprised to find Ichabod and Captain Jilthing J. Jarvas standing outside the building; he had asked the two to join him in the meeting. In silence, the trio walked to Cavern Hole, where the meeting was to be held.

They arrived there, with Abbess Tella already sat at the head of the table. They took seats, and both Jilthing and Ichabod began to happily partake in the scones that had been left out. However, the Abbess and the badger sat in silence, awaiting Brother Eldon.

The Skarzs

Haenrok stood to one side in the room, arms folded. He had been asked to represent Skipper, and as honored he was for the position, the situation made him uncomfortable. This Doboslav may be a badger, but if he and his brother were having troubles between them then it would cause problems for others.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

Brother Eldon stopped outside the main door to the Abbey, finishing up his morning run along the base of the Abbey walls. Breathing lightly, he let down his habit to its normal length and stepped inside. As he walked towards Cavern Hole, he smiled and dipped his head to the early morning cooks and servers bustling about the hall preparing breakfast.

Pausing a moment before he joined the meeting, he thought briefly over the situation. A Badger Lord and half of the Long Patrol, exiled from Salamandastron: a truly disastrous situation. He had no doubt that conflict, possibly bloodshed, would follow in its wake. Badgers are not particularly forgiving when they feel something is their prerogative. Hares, while far less vengeful, are supremely loyal, and not afraid of battle.

He sighed and shook his head. Nothing good would come of this. Nevertheless, it is the duty of Redwallers to offer shelter and aid to those in distress, and certainly these exiles were in need. What worried him was what might come afterwards.

Folding his arms, he entered Cavern Hole and bowed respectfully. "Mother Abbess, Lord Doboslav." He also nodded towards the otter and hares. "Brother Haenrock, officers. How may I be of assistance this morning?"
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Unimaginative

"Is this everyone, Abbess?" Asked Doboslav. She nodded. He gazed around the room; his two hares, the aged Brother Eldon, the Abbess, and an otter. Three representatives from each party.

"As you have heard by this point, I'm sure, my brother has claimed the throne of Salamandastron. The throne which is rightfully mine." He gazed dramatically at the Abbeydwellers. None seemed surprised.

"I intend to fight for my claim, along with my Long Patrol. We may be exiled from our home, but we intend to reclaim it... However... My brother is likely to pursue me, to ensure I cannot attempt this pursuit of my title as ruler of Salamandastron. If I am to engage in this conflict, I need a citadel to operate from."

"One such as Redwall..." He and the Abbess said, in sync.

"Out of the question," Abbess Tella immediately said, with a frown. "I understand your plight, Doboslav. I really do. But it is not the place of the Abbey to assist you. If any creatures volunteer to support you, that is their decision; but I will not endanger the denizens of the Abbey."

Doboslav frowned, as the hares on either side of him displayed agitation.

"The Abbey has never been able to defend itself from vermin without Salamandastron. Ehedetor will not go out of his way to protect the Abbey; I, on the other hand, would go any distance to do so. Please, this is the best decision for the Abbey."

She shook her head, though with less certainty.

"I cannot take your word for it, Doboslav. I have no way of knowing what your brother's ideals are."

"There are three of your people here, Abbess; perhaps we should hear what The Skipper's representative, and Brother Eldon think..."

OOC: The Abbess is free to control by anyone, by the way. Just to make sure everyone realizes.  :)

The Skarzs

Haenrok spoke first. "Why do you think you have more right for the throne than your brother? All I can see is you both are fighting like children over a toy you both want. Excuse my allegory," he added quickly.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.