News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Star Wars discussion

Started by blindsimeonjtp, October 07, 2012, 03:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krantor the Brutal

Han dead, Leia (technically dead), Luke dead. Last original left: Chewy (and C3PO).
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

LT Sandpaw

Quote from: Grond on December 31, 2017, 04:56:25 AM
I found Ren's fall to the darkside to be interesting. Luke is standing over him while he is sleeping, senses the darkside and contemplates killing him even drawing his light saber. Ren then awakes uses the force to crumble the building-bury Luke in the ruble and kills the other apprentices with those loyal to him. Definitely an example of Luke creating a self fulfilling prophecy of his nephew becoming a Sith. I mean what would you expect Ren to do when he woke up to his uncle with light saber drawn trying or contemplating killing him ?

I dunno, I thought of that more as lazy writing than actually intriguing. Luke went on a literal suicide mission onto the Death Star (which he knew was going to be destroyed, which also contained the Emperor, with the sole intention of bringing Darth Vader back from the dark side, the guy who committed mass genocide of an entire culture and even murdered children. I just find it hard to believe that after showing those sorts of character traits Luke would ever consider murdering his nephew in his sleep just because he sensed some conflict in his future.

And it wasn't like that was their only option. There are countless ways they could've made Ben's fall to the Dark side a product of Luke's ego and failures without the cold blooded murderer arch.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Jukka the Sling

Yeah, I feel that was a bit weird for Luke's character if you take it at face value.  However, it can be explained with some headcanoning.  Someone suggested online that perhaps Luke actually saw a glimpse of the future (maybe even Kylo killing someone), and for a split second, was so overcome with horror that he activated his lightsaber in the heat of the moment.  Luke did say that he immediately felt ashamed after doing so, anyway.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Grond

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on January 19, 2018, 05:41:22 AM
I dunno, I thought of that more as lazy writing than actually intriguing. Luke went on a literal suicide mission onto the Death Star (which he knew was going to be destroyed, which also contained the Emperor, with the sole intention of bringing Darth Vader back from the dark side, the guy who committed mass genocide of an entire culture and even murdered children. I just find it hard to believe that after showing those sorts of character traits Luke would ever consider murdering his nephew in his sleep just because he sensed some conflict in his future.

And it wasn't like that was their only option. There are countless ways they could've made Ben's fall to the Dark side a product of Luke's ego and failures without the cold blooded murderer arch.

I see your point but Luke going onto the Death Star to get Darth Vader back to the "light side" was probably a decision that he spent some time thinking about before he made it. It was not done in the heat of the moment so to speak. I would also assume that he was aware that in order to defeat the emperor he would need Vader's help- as if the Death Star was destroyed and the emperor survived the empire would have continued to exist and the rebellion would not have ended as the emperor was essentially the empire. Secondly, I would imagine that the thought of killing Darth Vader had probably crossed his mind at some point, however fleetingly.

I would also add that the incident with Ren may have also been another "test" between the light and the dark side in Luke. He may have had a vision of Ren committing mass genocide and his knee jerk reaction was to activate his light saber. There is no indication that for days prior he had planned kill Ren and that he went into the room with that express goal. Activating his light sabre seemed to be a spur of the moment decision, and he certainly felt a great deal of shame for doing that afterword.

So I don't think that it is a stretch to assume that this could have been Luke's spur of the moment reaction, despite the fact that if he had only a few moments to think about it he would never have done it. It also humanized and added a slight greyness to Luke's character. In that he is not some flawless and stoic Jedi master but that he is a "human" and not above making a rash spur of the moment decision.

LT Sandpaw

@Grond

Those are all possibilities honestly.
I'm not going to say that its impossible that Luke's character could have taken a sudden murderous turn. Just very unlikely and unfitting of lessons he already learned in Return of the Jedi specifically. It seemed to me like lazy, inconsistent writing by Disney.

Of course I'm kinda forced to accept that this is a part of Luke's character anyway, so I'll go to my disappointed fan corner and internally gripe. :P

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Jukka the Sling

So whaddya guys think of the Solo trailer and TV spot?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Gonff the Mousethief

I actually think if they can make the plot interesting enough and market it well, more people will end up liking it then hating it. Personally, I think it is gonna be great, because Han and Chewie were basically my childhood.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Krantor the Brutal

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on October 30, 2017, 09:30:47 PM
The newest episode of Forces of Destiny just revealed that Hera and Chopper survive the Battle of Endor!

If you have watched Rogue One:
Spoiler
A voice from the loudspeaker said: "General Syndulla."
[close]
Spoiler
Hera's ship can be seen:
[close]

_______

Solo looks good thus far, which is expected.
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

Jukka the Sling

Who else has been keeping up with Star Wars Rebels?  I can't wait for the final episodes next week, but I'm bummed it's over. :/

Spoilers!

Today's episodes were completely crazy!  So time travel is apparently possible now, under limited circumstances.  I never thought Ahsoka's story would continue this way!

Hearing all the voices from different eras of the Star Wars timeline was awesome.
[close]

Jukka the Sling

What are y'all's thoughts on the final Rebels episodes?!  I was so terrified for just about every character during them!  It was a craaaazy ride.

Spoilersss!

I'm so relieved that both Ezra and Thrawn survive!  When Thrawn was being grabbed by "many arms in a cold embrace", I was growing increasingly horrified, thinking, "oh man, Hickory was wrong, Thrawn is gonna die!"  (Ever since reading Thrawn, I've liked the guy a lot.)  Then it looked like Ezra was gonna die too, and I was mentally like, "okay, fine, take Thrawn, I don't even care, as long as Ezra lives!"  Then they were yanked into hyperspace in a Star Destroyer with smashed windows, and I couldn't believe that a Disney XD show had just killed their main character by vaporizing him at lightspeed.

And then, after a few minutes, when the other characters were sure he was still alive, I was so relieved. XD

THE EPILOGUE THOUGH.  Ezra lives!  Ahsoka lives!  Sabine!  Hera!  ...Jacen?!

I'm pretty surprised Hera was pregnant the whole last few episodes.  Weird move for a Disney XD show.
(And this was before she even told Kanan she loved him?  Something's not right.  .___.)  Lol, I'm also really bugged by the fact that their kid looks almost entirely human, completely unlike the human/Twi'lek hybrids in Clone Wars.

I can't wait for Filoni's next show!  It'll be awesome to see what happens with Sabine and Ahsoka!  (And Ezra and Thrawn, presumably stuck somewhere in the Unknown Regions.)
[close]

Also!  Jon Favreau (who voiced Pre Vizsla in Clone Wars) is going to write and produce the live-action Star Wars show!  So excited that production is moving forward!  Just wish Dave Filoni had gotten to helm it, but he has another SW show he's working on.

Hickory

Spoiler
There's been some speculation that, because the next Thrawn book Zahn is writing (Thrawn: Alliances, I believe) is titled such, it will mean that Thrawn and Ezra team up to survive.

Anyway, as far as the finale goes... it could be worse. I didn't like Rukh's death at all, especially since he played such an important part in Legends:

Rukh in Legends
He was Thrawn's killer, for those out of the loop.
[close]

What I did like most about the finale was Kallus and Zeb. To me, that felt like the most solid character arc of the entire show – Kallus going from an ISB agent who commited genocide to a friend of Zeb. One of my favorite characters.
[close]
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Jukka the Sling

Spoilers

If true, that would be awesome.  The cover features Thrawn and Vader, though, so I'm not sure.  But I seriously can't wait to read it.

Side note: I really loved Thrawn and his relationship with Eli in the first book, but it bugs me that he's so different from his Rebels self.  In the book, he's not cruel at all.  He's just analytical, and actually wants to preserve as many lives as possible.  I don't see that Thrawn in the show, and this apparent discrepancy really bothers me. XP

I love Kallus and Zeb and their friendship as well.  Emphasis on the friendship.  *deep breath*  ...Um, I don't want to start an argument, but I did want to bring this up: apparently I'm not the only fan who got some unexpected and out-of-place gay vibes off them in their epilogue scene (even though Dave Filoni, when asked about them, said a bunch of stuff about how male friends shouldn't be afraid to express affection for each other without being labeled gay... so, I guess people are just reading too much into the scene?  The world may never know).
[close]

Jukka the Sling

http://www.starwars.com/news/thrawn-alliances-excerpt

Looks like the next Thrawn book is set after season three of Rebels!

Jukka the Sling

So... I was corrected on a piece of Star Wars lore earlier by Pablo Hidalgo, main dude from the Lucasfilm Story Group.

Spoiler

[close]

We ended up having a nice little conversation.  Also I talked to some guy with insomnia.

The thing is, my beef with that TLJ plot point still stands, since Pablo missed the point when he corrected me on the "weaponizing lightspeed" thing.

Rant + TLJ spoilers

Because even if I forgot about one little incident in the fourth episode of Clone Wars (wherein a malfunctioning droid ship is sent to lightspeed and hits a moon), that does not negate the fact that CW never actually employs this as an actual battle tactic the exact way it was in TLJ.  Just think of all the times ships were in close proximity to each other over a planet and nothing happened.  You'd think some droid-piloted ship would try a suicide run at least once, based on TLJ, right?  But no, 'cause hyperspace didn't work that way then.  TLJ opened up a whole can of worms about it.

Before this, fans could go along with the hand-wavy idea that you couldn't hyperjump through a large object close by because your ship was either affected by gravity or had a safety thing that just wouldn't let you do it.  Now that's pretty much gone.

I could go on about this forever.  At this point, if this glaring issue were solved, I'd be perfectly accepting of TLJ.  I guess I'll just have to make up some ridiculous headcanon where Holdo has a high IQ and is one of the few people in the galaxy who knows how to hack into the ship's targeting systems and disable the secret safety feature.

Anyway, Pablo seemed to ignore the important parts of my queries, so I didn't really get complete answers to the burning question that has haunted me day and night for the past four months.  But at least now I know that he and the other powers that be actually discussed this before.  It's also just super cool that he actually replied to me at all.  I feel blessed, yet annoyed. XD
[close]

I dunno, does anyone else feel annoyance at this aspect of TLJ?

The Skarzs

A little bit, yes. Common sense says that if it can be done once, it can be done again.
I personally think that the affect of doing such an action would cause as much damage as it did. (There is a reason high-energy projectiles are as effective as they are in real life.)

It would have to go into the science behind their hyperspace travel.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.