News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

What Redwall-like books are there

Started by daskar666, July 10, 2011, 06:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawnwing

Quote from: Lady Amber on July 26, 2011, 06:14:03 PM
Quote from: Dawnwing on July 14, 2011, 05:48:58 AM
Lady Shael had mentioned the Warriors series by Erin Hunter... yeah, a lot of Warriors fans are fans of Redwall too.  It's another of my favorite series; I'm quite well known on its official forum.

And who are you on the Warrior Cats forum? I'm Sandfire of WindClan.
I'm Dawnwing on there as well (and on Warrior's Wish, too, of course).

Martha Braebuck

Oh man, I could name a ton of series.... :D
~Love, •*Martha*•

Whoohahahahooh!! ~Hon Rosie's awesome laugh!

"Fate 'n fortune smile on us,
and of this crew take care,
but let no greedy robber try,
to guzzle up my share!"

rakkety tam

Quote from: The Lady Shael on July 11, 2011, 01:37:13 AM
I haven't read them, but it seems the Warrior Cat series by Erin Hunter is similar to Redwall... at least a lot of Warrior Cat fans seem to also be fans of Redwall.

Watership Down is another popular book with Redwall fans but it isn't a series.
i read like 1 book of warrior cats but it has people in it and its modern thats why i stopped reading that and started reading redwall
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Rimant the Warrior

I love the Lord of the Rings books and have read all of them, including The Hobbit.  I have also read four of the five Mistmantle Chronicles books and enjoyed them immensly.  There is another book series that is cut from the same cloth as Redwall.  It is written by an author named Robin Jarvis.  I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the series.  If anyone knows the series that I speak of please feel free to enlighten the whole diccussion group.  Thanks.
Rimant the Warrior

Lily

The Alchemist's Cat is one I remember by Robin Jarvis. I think he's written a few series about about anthropomorphic mice. Here's his wikipedia page.

Another series that I just remembered, this time about moles, is the Duncton Chronicles by William Horwood. I remember my Dad buying me the books because I liked Redwall so much. Thematically they're quite different to the Redwall series, the only real similarity is the fact that they're both about anthropomorphic British mammals.

winifred

I loved the secret of nymph series its awsome and sortof reminds me of redwall
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

Taggerung The Otter

Quote from: The Lady Shael on July 11, 2011, 01:37:13 AM
I haven't read them, but it seems the Warrior Cat series by Erin Hunter is similar to Redwall... at least a lot of Warrior Cat fans seem to also be fans of Redwall.

Watership Down is another popular book with Redwall fans but it isn't a series.

ah love that seris
For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Flandor

I really enjoyed the Hermux Tantamoq adventures series by Michael Hoeye.  There are four books.  It's about animals much like the redwall ones in that they walk on two legs, wear clothes, there are no humans, except it was given a modern twist.  It follows Hermux Tantamoq, a watchmaker mouse.  All the stories are mysteries/adventures, with the theme of time.

I couldnt put them down! Though they arent written with a structure like Redwalls, they read quick and are exciting and Hermux is an awesome protagonist.

In terms of  a book with both content and structure like Redwall, I don't know of any.  that's what makes redwall so special and hard to put down.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Muse

Warriors- true, but I haven't followed the series in forever. They (Erin Hunter is three people, actually) have really drawn out the series, which worked with Redwall, because of the incredible variety, but they just can't pull it off.
Mistmantle-amazing. Stupendous. Closest in depth, detail, innocence, adventure, and creativity to Redwalll as possible.
The Robin Jarvis series are the Deptford Mice trilogy and the Deptford Chronicles trilogy, the prequels. I reccomend the latter as a much deeper and complex example. Great great books, but very dark. I reccomend teen and up only.
Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse

Nightfire

Quote from: Rimant the Warrior on October 02, 2011, 06:25:01 PM
I love the Lord of the Rings books and have read all of them, including The Hobbit.  I have also read four of the five Mistmantle Chronicles books and enjoyed them immensly.  There is another book series that is cut from the same cloth as Redwall.  It is written by an author named Robin Jarvis.  I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the series.  If anyone knows the series that I speak of please feel free to enlighten the whole diccussion group.  Thanks.

I loved the Mistmantle Chronicles! I've only read the first three books, though. My darned library doesn't have the other two. I did think that the main character should've had a better name than 'Urchin' though.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Tiria Wildlough

I want to read Warriors. It sounds cool. :)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Lutra

Quote from: Nightfire on January 27, 2012, 09:55:30 PM

I loved the Mistmantle Chronicles! I've only read the first three books, though. My darned library doesn't have the other two. I did think that the main character should've had a better name than 'Urchin' though.

Well, considering the storyline, Urchin isn't something everyone sees as glamorous.  You hear of "urchin" you think of something like homeless boys--which the young squirrel was--a squirrel without a home.  He was frowned upon in the first book when he was in the castle because he was so unusual, so actually his name is perfect for the first book.  Yeah he probably outgrew it in the later books because he certainly belonged and was respected by then, but I don't think McAllister was thinking "series" when she wrote that first story. ;)

Just my two cents on it. ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

White One6193

Side note on Guardians of Ga'Hoole. The whole Pure Ones thing is actually an analog of Nazi Germany, right down to St Aggie's Academy being an almost perfect avian rendition of the HitlerJugend. There's also the fact that the entire story has the main characters escaping from an enemy-occupied mainland to an island monarchy over the sea. Not to mention, one of the characters is basically an owl version of Sir Winston Churchill.

The similarities don't stop there... The Pure Ones move all "non-pure" owls to "re-education schools" complete with brainwashing programs and they also take away the "un-pure's" ability to fly. 

It is very cool and anyone who loves Redwall should check it out.
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Nightfire

Yeah, I read the entire series and loved it. And the movie, even though it's far-taken from the books, actually makes the whle Hitler Youth and Nazi thing a bit more obvious.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Mad Maudie

Mistmantle is a li like redwall it is by M.I. Mcalester (spelling?)
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~