News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

[CRAFT] Art in Metal

Started by The Skarzs, October 10, 2014, 04:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Ha ha; I have finally been successful in uploading those pieces of steel I have made in my blacksmithing experience!

Feast your eyes upon my failure in metalworking.

This is the first knife I made. (It was one of the first things I ever made. . .) Looking back, I cringe at it and my inexperience.

Here are some later works. From left to right, there is a wall hanger, my try at welding a chain, a small fire poker (made the same day as above trench knife), and a meat turner. Notice the beautifully twisted handle on the turner, and the equally handsome ring I forged at the bottom. 8) ;D

One of my favorites so far, is this mini-bowie knife I made. Mahogany handle. ;D ;D And there is the tank of a sheath I made for it; carved out of oak and made the belt strap with sheet metal. :P

Some of you might know that I was making a fillet knife; now you can see it. I burned the tang of the knife (the metal part in the handle) through the wood so I wouldn't have to split the wood. The tang itself is tapered so as to have a tight fit, and I riveted it through the handle and the copper cap to give it a more solid construction.

Most recent make, here is a skinning knife. I rather like this one.

Lastly, the work-in-progress. This dagger is made of 1084 carbon steel; excellent stuff. I still need to draw out the tang, make the guard, handle, and pommel, as well as harden and temper it.

I love blacksmithing. ;D :D

If any of you have questions as to how I made these or if you would like to see more of these in the future, please comment. :)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Faiyloe

*Is freaking out* Those are amazing! When I saw the first one I was like. If you think that is bad then what dose something you think is good look like.  ;D Really amazing. But I get it I will looks at my old art and be like. What alien influence induced me to draw this. But I could never do anything like that. Really really cool. No offence that I didn't ask you about how you made it. Its just that I wouldn't understand a word you said if you did. I'l Just admire them from the side lines.  ;D
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

rachel25

I better not show my brother those. He'd be so jealous. He's always wanted to do stuff like that.  ::)

The Skarzs

I'll take that as a compliment.

Thanks for looking!
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

Hm. You are more competent than I. Some of my stuff looks similar, but I'm sure isn't nearly as sharp or well-made. And I have constant help and instruction, which is something (from the way you refer to blacksmithing) that you don't seem to use.

I have to agree with Faiy, your first knife looks quite nice, though I can see the things you might not like about. I think.

Nicely done.

The Skarzs

Yeah, instruction is always very nice. :P The last one (the unfinished dagger) I had some help from a knife maker, David Lisch (look him up; he's awesome).

As to what you said about my first knife: It's mild steel, the cross-guard is too large, it's not very well attached to the knife, it has no spine, the blade twists, and it's rusting. :P :P :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

rachel25

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 10, 2014, 06:12:56 PM
I'll take that as a compliment.

Thanks for looking!
It was, and their really good.

Cornflower MM

Holy crackers! They're awesome! Although, seriously, the first knife you made isn't that bad. You made it, so you see it's flaws. Sure, the crossguard/hilt thingy is a bit big, and the blade has dents in it, and it's got a few rust spots here and there, but otherwise, it looks nice!

You were just talking about that skinning knife. And the bowie knife. They look nice!

The Skarzs

Thanks. (I'm surprised no one asked about my gnarled hands. . .)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rainshadow

They don't look all that gnarled.  ::)

Very good stuff ya got here!  Me likey.  Me likey a lot.  ;D
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Wylder Treejumper

That's what I want to do! But, when your backyard is the size of a penny... You can't really do much. It's hard to smith without a shop...  :P
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Jukka the Sling

Wow. Those are all awesome!
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gwen A. Mouse

Wow. These are pretty darn awesome. ;D
"You need to get yourself a better dictionary. When you do, look up genocide. You'll see a little picture of me there and the caption'll read 'over my dead body'!" -The Doctor

Jukka the Sling

I showed these to my eight-year-old brother, and he wants you to make a katana for him. How much would you charge? ;D
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien