News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Redwall in Two-Dimensions

Started by SoranMBane, April 03, 2015, 10:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoranMBane

So we've got those two Redwall Minecraft maps, and those are great. But there's more than one buildy-crafty-type game on the market, you know? So, uhh... Here's the thing that I did:

Spoiler
[close]

Yep, I built our beloved Redwall Abbey in Terraria, along with several other notable locations from the books (and one technically non-cannon but still thematically-appropriate location). All of it took approximately eleventy-billion hours to build (give or take), and aside from a Steam friend helping me wire up the teleporter from the Abbey gate to Salamandastron, everything was built by me alone (and all legitimately, too, aside from exploiting the old chest duplication glitch to get money for paints and whatnot). It's an on-going project, so I'm constantly adding new things and tweaking various details, but if you want to see some more screenshots of the work that I've done so far, you can find them in this Imgur album here (there's 45 screenshots all-told, with descriptions on each image): http://imgur.com/a/0cP2s#0

But here's a few more sneak-peaks to give you a taste:

Spoiler

[close]

And if anyone who owns Terraria wants a chance to explore what I've done themselves, then I suppose I wouldn't be averse to hosting a multiplayer server on occasion. Just message me so we can work out the details and exchange the necessary information. In addition, I may eventually look into ways to share the world for people to download and check out on their own time, but that seems a bit more complicated, so it'll have to wait for now.

Anyhow, I hope you guys enjoyed this. I certainly enjoyed building everything. ;D

Luftwaffles

Woah, that's a really impressive work, Soran!

I'm actually tempted to shake the dust off Terraria and give it a try :)
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Skyblade

I don't know what Terraria is, but I agree with Sierra here. That looks great :)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Lady Ashenwyte

Cool! I'll have to dust Terraria and get back into it someday.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

SoranMBane

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I worked pretty hard on this, so it's nice to know that other Redwall fans like what I've done.

And, yeah, now (or at least sometime in the next couple months) would be as good a time as any for someone to be getting back into Terraria. The next big update is supposed to be coming out in June, after all (ever wanted to help defend Redwall Abbey from an alien invasion?).

And, hmm... Redwall is supposed to have an attic above its dormitories, isn't it? Well, I guess I'd better go get on that.  ;)

CaptainRocktree

WOW! Amazing job! I don't have terraria (I know plenty of people that do) But if I get it I'll definitely want to see it! ;D
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

SoranMBane

Thanks! I would definitely be glad to show everything to you if you do ever get the game (I actually wouldn't be surprised if Terraria goes on sale around the time that the next update comes out; maybe that would be an opportune time?).

And, uhh... Oh yeah! The attic! Here it is!:

Spoiler
[close]
It's been years since I read Pearls of Lutra, but I followed the description from the Wiki as close as I could and I think it turned out pretty well.

In addition to building the attic, I also make a couple other tweaks, most notably to a part of the Abbey that I've been meaning to renovate for a while now; the loft (the old version was kind of boring and tiny):

Spoiler
[close]
Besides just making it bigger and prettier, I also made it so that getting into the loft requires either a pair of wings or a climb across the rooftops, and I added scattered piles of hay (the last remnants of the Sparra that used to live there).

And, while it's not a huge change, I moved the Abbot's quarters to a slightly larger room above the library:

Spoiler
[close]
But I'm still not sure what to do with all that empty space between the Abbot's quarters and the loft; maybe I'll just add some more dormitories up there.

And, of course, the map of the whole building:

Spoiler
[close]

The higher-resolution screenshots have been added to the Imgur album linked in my first post, if anyone wants to see them.

Lady Ashenwyte

Maybe you could add some walls?
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Skyblade

Very well done! This is really creative :D

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Luftwaffles

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

SoranMBane

I did some stuff with that empty space:

Spoiler
[close]

Now, it's not entirely clear to me from the books whether Abbeyschool takes place in its own dedicated room or not, but I figured that it would be nice if it did in my version of Redwall, so that's what that bottom room with all the little desks is. I also put an apple on the teacher's desk for good measure (well, okay it's not actually an apple; it's just a pumpkin block painted red). Those two smaller rooms above are not really based on anything from the books, but were something I thought would be nice anyway; just a secluded space where the Redwallers can hang out, take their tea, or simply relax and look out at the countryside through those big windows.

Here's the updated map of the building:

Spoiler
[close]

Those with sharp eyes may also have noticed that the Abbey has a few secret chambers underground. I haven't really talked about or shown pictures of those because, well, they're supposed to be secret, right? Anyone who's read Redwall or Mattimeo may be able to guess what two of them are just from looking at them, though.

Blaggut

This looks AMAzING! Time to go get Terraria like I planned to.
~Just a soft space boi~

SoranMBane

Another little update, here; this time to the Kingdom of Malkariss:

Spoiler
[close]

For the longest time, I had a normal reaper statue acting as a stand-in for Malkariss' statue, which was spooky-looking and all, but just didn't quite cut it. But now I've finally gotten around to building a proper one, similar to how I built the Doomwyte idol. It's been quite a long time since I've read Mattimeo myself, but I did what I could following the Redwall Wiki.

Here's the updated map of the whole place:

Spoiler
[close]

And, as always, larger screenshots can be found in the Imgur album.

rrrrr

That looks cool

But I don't know what that game is.
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: rrrrr on April 30, 2015, 05:04:26 AM
That looks cool

But I don't know what that game is.

That's Terraria, you can find all the necessary info here :)