News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Gulo's Family and Wolverine orientation

Started by Ashleg, August 30, 2016, 10:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

I jut started Rakkety Tam today and I'm on chapter four, so no spoilers please!
Anyway.
When Jem was talking about Gulo's brother, Askor, he said that he mentioned his dad wanting Gulo and him to rule together after he died and that he (the brother) stole that stone thing because Gulo would be a bad ruler.
...Right?
So are Wolverines naturally like birds or something where they can be either good or bad (and Askor being hot tempered like lots of the birds) where Gulo would be an evil exception?

I'm not very far in at all, so correct me if this makes zero sense, but that's how it came across. The dad sounded like a just King (or at least a Verdauga type guy) whereas Askor would be like Warbeak and Gulo like that one bird that tried to kill me in Mossflower.  ;)

Lord Daskar

I always just assumed wolverines were bad since you get a lot more of Gulo since he's the main bad guy and Askor didn't seem all that nice. I don't remember much about the little bit it tells of the Lands of Ice and Snow but their father could've been better than some vermin since he was in charge and I doubt anyone dared disobey him since he had two wolverine sons and a vicious army.
When work gets overwhelming, remember that you are going to die. -A Coffee Cup

Be silent, or let thy words be more than silence.

Cheerful
Main Entry:   cheer·ful
Function: Adjective.
1 a : full of good spirits <a cheerful outlook> <cheerful obedience>

Ares saves not the brave man but the coward.

Hickory

We didn't see enough of Askor to really judge him, but from what we did get, he was simply trying to stop Gulo from being King.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Delthion

What I gathered, was that Gulo was a murdering vicious warlord that would kill anything in his way, Askor was just a more cowardly, cunning version of him, willing to do anything to get what he wanted, but not capable of dealing with Gulo with Gulo's army behind him.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Ashleg

Askor didn't want Gulo to be king but it never said that he wanted to be king.

Delthion

But the only conceivable reason for him to stop Gulo from being king is because he had someone else in mind, himself being the only other candidate that the Ermine and Arctic Foxes would accept. It said in the first chapter that Askor only fled because Gulo had the support of the Ermine.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Ashleg

But did that make him evil?
Being related to Gulo seems like the only thing holding him down.

((Again I'm not done with it so if I'm uneducated just tell me.))

Delthion

Honestly, Askor doesn't show up much more. I am pretty sure though that it states that Askor fled cowardly, to prevent Gulo from becoming king because he was trying to become king himself, this in and of itself is not evil except that he was willing to use any method to do so.

The Skarzs

It sounds like a very human thing to do, really.
I kind of wish there was more of Askor in the story, or even, more of the wolverines, but it appears he played his role: Dragging the Walking Stone down to Mossflower where Gulo would follow and bring conflict.

Possibly spoilers, not sure how far you've gotten.
Now what I found interesting is that Askor was said to have lifted up the tree that fell on him, right? That means that the wolverines were incredibly powerful, arguably as strong as badgers. Makes me wish even more that there was a clash between giants.
[close]
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

Quote from: Skarzs on August 31, 2016, 04:06:30 PM
Now what I found interesting is that Askor was said to have lifted up the tree that fell on him, right? That means that the wolverines were incredibly powerful, arguably as strong as badgers. Makes me wish even more that there was a clash between giants.
[close]
Spoiler
Wolverines in real life are significantly larger than European badgers, so I'd expect them to be larger and stronger.
[close]
« Subject to editing »

LT Sandpaw

Quote from: James Gryphon on August 31, 2016, 04:29:14 PM
[close]
Spoiler
Wolverines in real life are significantly larger than European badgers, so I'd expect them to be larger and stronger.
[close]
Spoiler
The real question is how in the heck did the walking stone survive in the lands of ice and snow?
[close]

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

The Skarzs

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on August 31, 2016, 04:50:26 PM
Quote from: James Gryphon on August 31, 2016, 04:29:14 PM
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
The real question is how in the heck did the walking stone survive in the lands of ice and snow?
[close]
Spoiler
The "Barely Walking" stone. (You know, because it's so cold?)
[close]
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

This stuff doesn't need to be in spoilers, my gosh. ;D

Lady Ashenwyte

I think a decent analogy is that Askor had ruled like Verdauga, while Gulo ruled like Tsarmina. Neither are good, but one is better than another,
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

The Skarzs

Trump vs Clinton.

Quote from: Ashleg on August 31, 2016, 09:29:18 PM
This stuff doesn't need to be in spoilers, my gosh. ;D
Well, we didn't want to spoil things that you may have not read yet, so we decided to err on the side of caution.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.