News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

They Thought Redwall was Safe! (Is Redwall as Safe as they Say it is? Part 3!)

Started by Ashleg, February 24, 2017, 11:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

A refreshing breeze wafted in through the half-ajar window, tickling Maxy's nose.
He sprung up from his rest, energetic and sprightly, and raced over to toss his tunic over his head before hopping nimbly down the sandstone stairs to come in contact with an empty hallway.
"Today's the day!" the squirrel chirped, "I have waited this long for it to feel like summer, and nobeast will stop me--ooof!"
As he charged the corner, he collided with Grant, an old mouse who just so happened to be the Abbot.
Maxy flushed in horror and jumped off him, paws pressed to his face.
"Oh dear, oh Father Abbot! I'm so sorry! I swear I didn't see you. Cross my heart..."

The Abbot rustily picked himself up.
"What," the mouse wheezed, "Pray tell, are you doing?"

"The Spring of the Climbing Ivy is great, Sir, you pick just the best names..."

Grant folded his arms, though his eyes twinkled in amusement.
"Stop beating around the bush. Come now, you can do whatever it was you wanted once you're done with breakfast! Friar Rusk is working up something very impressive this morning."

Maxy was raised by a hare. He'd have turned out wrong not to fall for that.
Perking up, the young one chimed, "Well, Abbot, I do hope it's as great as you say it is. I'll meet you in the Great Hall."

LT Sandpaw

Standing on the eastern wall, Bracklew the squirrel, warrior of Redwall, watched the rising sun peek over the horizon. He'd been up early that morning, taking a casual stroll around the battlements, checking the little gates as he went. It was well worth it, the sun created a display unlike any other, and he enjoyed the time alone on the wall before the rush and bustle of the day's activities.

Descending the wall steps Bracklew crossed the Abbey lawns, occasionally calling out a greeting to the other Abbey dwellers he passed. His long stride led him into the main Abbey building and into the Great Hall, he paused just below the steps ascending towards the dormitory, having heard the sound of pattering paws.
"Max," he said fondly, raising his single paw in greeting. "Fair morning, and to you too Father Abbot."

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

Grant clasped his paws together. "Hello, Bracklew! A fine morning indeed."
Maxy slid into his seat at the long table, gesturing next to him with a longsided look at Bracklew.
"Brack," he said, "Sit by me. Who knows what Old Rusk is up to in there."

Duncan appeared at the doorway, a lavish grin on his face.
"He's makin' the jolly old scoff, that's what! Oh, and excuse me." The hare bowed comically as he strode up to them.
"Mornin', lads, and mornin', Father Abbot."

OOC-
Grodds, when you do decide to post, let's not have the horde appear until the Woodlanders have done some stuff.

Groddil

"Well, it took ten seasons of searching, and another to plan this out..."
"But we're finally here."
"Finally's the right word for it. This should have been done long ago."
Deep in north-east Mossflower, an otter and her compatriots stood at the edge of a clearing. Within the clearing, a large hill poked above the treetops, vines concealing the cavern contained within. Behind the otter, woodlanders worked to unload a ramshackle cart. Four large logs and two barrels were piled together, followed by several large boulders, what looked like a huge bowl, a coil of rope, and several strange pieces of wood with various metal protrusions. The otter beckoned to a squirrel.
"Okay, Saul. We're ready. Wheels should pop right off the cart and screw onto the logs. You should be able to get 'em up pretty quickly if you head up the north slope. Just don't break anything."
"Oh, they won't, Charm. Best carpenters from Southsward to Nix Praesidium, my guys are."
"I don't doubt their skill, Saul. Just don't pull those ropes too hard, or this whole plan goes back to square one."
"Aye."
As Saul's team began fitting the cart's wheels to the logs and attaching rope, Charm began giving orders to the rest of the woodlanders.
"You know what you need to do. Fit these parts together and load the first boulder. Once that's done, take the barrels up to Saul and bring back the ropes. Then... We'll be ready."

"Pull... Hold it together, don't let it wobble. You do that, you may as well let it drop right there and then."
In the woods just outside Redwall Abbey, Stumbly the mousemaid concentrated intently on a plank of wood nailed to the Abbey wall, as a vixen watched on.
"Raise a little, you have to account for the drop. At this distance, and with those leaves in the way, make sure you're aiming somewhere above the board itself."
"Like this?"
"Looks good. It's distance that's your problem, Stumbly."
"Mmm."
"When you're ready, you can go?"
Several seconds passed, but the mouse stayed still as a corpse.
"I did say you can fire now."
"Wind."
"Huh. You're right. I didn't even notice. Good job."
"Thanks, 'May."
Stumbly loosed the arrow, which struck the board just off centre.
"Good work, although sometimes you can't focus for so long. 'Specially not in the heat of battle, if it ever comes to that. That'll do for now, we can keep practising this afternoon. Let's get some breakfast. I can smell it from here."
The mouse moaned.
"An' I've smelt it since we got up. You don't need to tell me twice."
The two Redwallers ducked into the Abbey through one of the side gates (which had been repaired and reinforced by Drubble since the horde attack), and dropped their weapons into a small chest by the exit. After Shadomay locked the gate (and the box), the two began to make their way back to the main building.

OOC: Wasn't planning on it.

LT Sandpaw

"Smelled something cooking did you Duncan? I would've thought you'd already be here waiting." Bracklew joked, joining Maxy on the bench. He gave the younger squirrel a playful nudge, urging him to make room so the old patroller could take a seat next to them. "Budge over Max, make a bit more room. Hey, Father Abbot, are you going to the head of the table? Maybe you'd fancy sitting with us today?" He cast a longing glance towards the kitchen doors, looking expectantly for Rusk's arrival, commenting airily. "I bet Petu's in there trying to take over again. I wonder how long Rusk'll put up with him today?"

~*~*~*~*~*~

Reclining in a tall pine tree at the edge of the clearing, Laclin the squirrel watched the laboring woodlanders with a keen interest. Her green clothing allowed her to blend into the woodland background almost perfectly, excluding her right leg and tail which dangled lazily below the tree branch she was resting on. As far as she knew, she had yet to be spotted, and she didn't mind that, maybe she'd meet them later. For now her eyes flicked from the impressive female otter, to the other woodlanders in turn, giving them each made up names at her discretion.
"Mm, you're Layflower, no Chalmander. And you're Diggory, that's a good mole name, and that one is Friscansous La Polotimas the Second of the River Moss." She giggled at her own joke, wondering just what these creatures were doing here. The temptation to know soon grew to be irresistible, and Laclin whisked down the tree, striding boldly across the clearing towards the otter Charm, whom Laclin had christened Chalmander only moments before. She seemed to be in charge.

Hickory

OOC: Alright, alright, I get the hint.

BIC:

"...no no, watch the corner! If that trolley tips, we'll be in a real mess."

The first of a train of carts was wheeled out of the kitchens by Friar Rusk. The fat mouse ignored the waiting breakfasters as he directed his minions to unload the trolleys. "Father Abbot," he said, acknowledging Grant. "Duncan," he said, less cheerful, casting his eyes upon the hare. "I know it's futile to say, but control yourself."
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Groddil

Charm flinched as Laclin walked across the clearing.
"Hellgates, kid, could ye be any more subtle? Get over here, quick, before you draw attention to us."

Ashleg

"Control? Aha, ahahahaha," Duncan rapped a paw on the table. "That's the funniest thing I've heard all season. Control, eh, you hear him, Max?"

"I hear 'im, Dad," the squirrel chuckled. He grinned and nudged Bracklew under the table as the Abbot took a seat across from them.

Grant took a bite out of a scone, wagging his claw at them.
"Now, Rusk, he could always be worse." Well, perhaps not. The old mouse smirked and shrugged innocently. "You just be glad there's only one of him."

Hickory

"I don't know, that Petu has always given Duncan a run for his acorns."

The Friar gestured towards the Abbot's chair. "If you could take a seat, Father, so we can start breakfast."

<O>

The rippling waters of the River Moss were cut by the prow of Log-a-log Gruddil's finest logboat. "Slow down there, rowers," called out the shrew to the rest of the crew. The lone logboat slowed to a walking pace. Approaching Riverblue at a fast speed was never a good idea. In the back of the logboat were several sacks of food and a wooden crate of weapons. The Guosim has become accustomed to trade in Riverblue, and worked closely with the defense force to extend the range of protection. Log-a-log had decided to partake in this expedition to meet with Charm for one of the information exchanges that happened bi-seasonally.

The logboat coasted into Riverblue, the shrew rowers skillfully maneuvering it to a dock.

Ashleg

Grant contentedly leaned back.
"I am sitting here today, Friar. A certain squirrel suggested I accompany them." He smirked, casting a glance at Bracklew.

LT Sandpaw

Grinning, Bracklew took a bowl of honeyed porridge for himself, dipping a slice of acorn bread into the mix. "Looks like its going to be an informal breakfast today Rusk so we might as well eat as we want. Isn't that right Duncan?" The squirrel fell silent, his mouth too full of bread and porridge to say anything more.

~*~*~*~*~

"Subtle, look whose being subtle." Laclin said, a little stung by being called 'kid'. Sure she was small for her age, but that was a bit much. Still she picked up her pace joining the otter by the other workers. Bursting with questions, she released a torrent of inquires upon Charm in rapid succession. "What're you hiding from, or more specifically who, is this a surprise? And what exactly are you doing, I was watching from over there. Oh, and is your name Chalmander by any chance?"

Ashleg

Duncan hoarded some of the food onto his plate.
"Righto, Lad. Informal, casual, and downright delicious." He raised an eyebrow at Rusk. "Say, you should be back in the kitchens and cookin' seconds, wot!"

"Duncan," drawled Maxy, embarrassed. "Surely Rusk can take a break before having to fill your belly again?"

The hare's eyes widened. "That's obscene!"
Maxy fell to laughing.

Groddil

Charm sighed.
"No, my name is not 'Chalmander.' If you must know, we're here to deal with that cave."
She pointed to the concealed opening in the hill.
"Gonna bring 'er down, t'keep Riverblue safe. It's a long story."
The first log, having been fitted with wheels and rope, trundled away towards the north-east side of the hill, as the strange pieces of wood were joined together into a rectangular frame. Saul wasn't lying; his carpenters were good at what they did.

As the logboat pulled into a dock, Jerrick ducked outside from a nearby shack built over the water.
"Log-a-log. You've returned. What's the business today? Trade, vacation, or one of your little talks with Charm. I'm afraid if you're here for the latter, you'll have to wait. She's preoccupied at the moment, dealing with a problem to the north-east of here.

Hickory

"No vacations, Mayor. Trade and talk."

The shrew crewbeasts started to heave the sacks of food onto the dock. "Your usual supply, our surplus food can always be put to good use. There's a special delivery, too, but that's for Charm. I'll wait around for her. Any happenings I should be aware of?"

Groddil

The old mouse nodded towards the supplies, causing several residents to begin hauling them off. Soon thereafter, they returned with the Guosim's usual needs and wants; arrows, reinforced tunics, and boat repair supplies. As the offerings changed paws, Jerrick dismissed the workers.
"Sensitive business. She's been planning it ever since she got here, and even I only found out what's going on. Tell me, Gruddil... The name 'Muddle' ring a bell to you?"