News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Gauging Interest (1/7/17)

Started by James Gryphon, January 07, 2017, 11:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in seeing this idea developed for the forum?

Yes, as a part of the Default style
10 (62.5%)
Yes, but only for the Modified style; leave Default as it is
5 (31.3%)
No
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

James Gryphon

I recently posted up a picture of a somewhat revamped look for the theme on the Shoutbox thread.

I haven't committed a lot of time to this idea, but I'm interested in its potential. I've gotten some promising positive feedback on my initial posting of it, so I thought I'd gauge here how it's likely to be viewed across a greater sample of the community and whether this is something I should look further into.
« Subject to editing »

Wylder Treejumper

*Thumbs up*

Although I might tweak it to be a shade lighter, as the sandstone Redwall was made of was described as more rose than actual red.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

James Gryphon

Yeah, the color shown in the picture is a starting point; I might tweak the hue a bit on the Modified style to go with the different backgrounds in places like the Cellars, and there's nothing that'd keep me from doing the same for the regular one, if after looking at the various pictures of Redwall and thinking things through we figure that's a more faithful match.

The main thing is whether y'all want to see a texture that looks a lot like that.
« Subject to editing »

Søren

Maybe a sorta cracked red clay look could work too, Redwall was an old place.
Regardless, I like i.

I'm retired from the forum

The Skarzs

What I don't like is the profile picture and "time logged" being right there.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

I think that's how it's been ever since we set up the forum here? You can click the arrow on the top right to turn it off, but I normally have it on (and did when I took this picture).
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

All the other forums I'm on has that.

It's so convinent.

James Gryphon

Am trying it out, initially with the red bricks pictured above. I'll probably play with the hue and things a bit to get everything just so. Also put some wood in the Castaways board.

These are visible in the Modified theme right now. If you're having trouble viewing it, try refreshing the page (I don't think emptying cache should be necessary).
« Subject to editing »

Eulaliaaa!

So, I just noticed something. The color on that theme is different on all the boards. Is that a necessary thing? Because that really bothers me since I like it to be consistent and unchanging when switching between boards. So if it's gonna be that way, could you keep this theme as an option as well?
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

James Gryphon

You're talking about the different backgrounds in the Hole, Other Works, Cellar, etc.?

That's a known feature of Modified (in fact, that's originally why it was created). I could make it part of Default, but I'm not sure I like the idea of making a third theme style that has the bricks with no background changes, just because that starts getting the theme styles a bit cluttered. I'd rather this be either on everything (that uses the red bars in the first place), or Modified only.
« Subject to editing »

Eulaliaaa!

So the different backgrounds will just remain in Modified? Sorry if I was a little confusing. I did mean the backgrounds in Cavern Hole, Cellars, Other Works, etc.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

James Gryphon

The different backgrounds are for Modified only (not counting "Castaways", of course). Default is the regular background. If this becomes a part of Default, then you'll have the regular background with the brick bars. If not, then it'll still be in Modified, but that means that you'll 'have' to have the different backgrounds too.
« Subject to editing »

Eulaliaaa!

Ah, I see. Sorry, I got confused for a second. Never mind.  :P

Kitsune

I'd say only if the colored themes would have a different colored wall. Because red would look bad with the blue theme I'm using.