7 (36.8%)
Castaways
4 (21.1%)
Experimental (Classic)
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Banya

Quote from: James Gryphon on March 22, 2017, 04:38:06 AM
@Banya: As far as it not saving things goes, do you use "Preview" before you select it for real? If I remember right that has something to do with breaking theme selections. I'm not sure why it is, but if you just select the theme without hitting preview first it was supposed to work right.

As far as the look of the theme, is the *only* reason why you don't like Modified the brown border? That originally had bricks, and I intend to get some more in ASAP (we had an issue with the old bricks that necessitated taking them down). The brown border is just a temporary placeholder.

Thanks, James. I always use the Preview button. I'll give that a try next time I log in.
Sorry to be so bluntly critical of the Modified theme. Was I away when a poll went up for the community to vote on having that as the default theme? I remember seeing the theme with bricks instead, and it was okay, but both the bricks and the solid brown with the deeper red interface make the forum look dark. Add to that the interface's gradient was taken away, and it's like comparing animations from different decades. It's nice to see that old parchment font, though.

James Gryphon

All right.

I think the theme being dark is mostly in comparison with the old forum, but to be honest, I was going for a slightly 'warmer' theme than we had before. As far as the gradient vs. lack of gradient, I think that's a matter of taste mostly; I've looked at it a few times recently and honestly have to say that it looks kinda cheesy to me now. That said, I did make the changes with the goal of going for a sort of 'retro' look, so I can understand if people think it looks dated now. That was ... intentional.

I'd like you to give it another try once we get the bricks in, and I'm willing to make some minor changes to the interface to smooth some things out like the exact color of the red and all that. That said, though, honestly, this is largely where I see the theme being for a while. My energy level for doing major theme changes is pretty well depleted, and when I look at the theme as it is, I have to say I like it. I am disappointed if you don't share that opinion, because I like for you to like all the things that I do here, but if one of the other theme styles we have suits you best, I'm content with that for the time being.
« Subject to editing »

Banya

"Colder" was a word that came to mind when I was trying to sum up my thoughts on the new theme, but that might change when the bricks are added. And "cheesy" is probably a better term than "cheap," but there I think you're saying the same thing I am trying to. The retro look does bring to mind the simplicity of the Redwall TV show, but at least to me it doesn't reflect what the forum is. I'll give the bricks a chance, and I'm sure they will be much better than the plain background, but I do plan on sticking to the Loamhedge or the Castaways and Classic themes for my personal use. You put so much time into the Loamhedge and Castaways themes anyway.

James Gryphon

Well, I was meaning to say that I thought the gradient looked cheesy, not the retro bars. ;)

I am a bit surprised that you think it's colder, not warmer, but I guess that's somewhat subject to interpretation. I am curious as to what you're thinking when you say that it 'doesn't reflect what the forum is' and I'd like to hear more of your thoughts and feelings on that.

I am glad that we have a fairly diverse set of theme styles so that there's something for everyone. Honestly I would like it if everyone loved Modified, as it's the way I best like to look at the forum, but that's not a realistic expectation and I've come to accept that.
« Subject to editing »

Groddil

I love modified. I clicked the wrong vote button, but modified is snazzy!

*cough* LoamhedgeStyle!Modified, anyway.

MeadowR

I didn't even know there was a choice of themes, nor do I know how to change it, so I guess I'm on Default. ;D
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Meadow on March 23, 2017, 10:48:29 PM
I didn't even know there was a choice of themes, nor do I know how to change it, so I guess I'm on Default. ;D

Do you wanna know how to change it, though? :)
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

MeadowR

Yes, because now I'm curious to see my other options! I'll have another search for it...
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Meadow on March 24, 2017, 05:41:15 PM
Yes, because now I'm curious to see my other options! I'll have another search for it...

Ok, go to your profile, click on "Modify Profile", then in "Look and Layout" and then press the "change" option.

You can then pick whichever theme you like from the list :)
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Banya

James, you were right, I just pressed change without previewing the theme and it's saved when I log in now. The trick was to choose the Loamhedge style variation from the pull-down menu under the Core section rather than from the Default section, though it appears in both.

MeadowR

Quote from: Sierra on March 24, 2017, 05:42:49 PM
Quote from: Meadow on March 24, 2017, 05:41:15 PM

Ok, go to your profile, click on "Modify Profile", then in "Look and Layout" and then press the "change" option.

You can then pick whichever theme you like from the list :)

Thanks, Sierra. :) I'm currently on 'Experimental' as the blue is such a difference from the usual red themes. Assuming these themes will follow through to the other forum, I'll probably change theme from time to time.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Banya

James, these themes will still exist after the merge, right? It seems like a waste not to carry them over after the time and effort that went into making them.

James Gryphon

They're already over at the RAF, if you've logged in there.
« Subject to editing »