Hummingbirds

Started by Rusvul, May 10, 2013, 01:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwaller

They were on islands, thus foreign. So you could have hummingbirds that come from a faraway island.

Buzz_Bumble

They'd have to come by boat and have a lot of stored food since they have to eat so often ... their near-continuous feasting would even put the hares to shame.  ;)

CrazyPug37

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 14, 2013, 10:50:23 PM
They'd have to come by boat and have a lot of stored food since they have to eat so often ... their near-continuous feasting would even put the hares to shame.  ;)
That would be really good to add.

Do something like a hare challenging a hummingbird to a food-eatinng contest.
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: CrazyPug37 on May 15, 2013, 01:54:34 AM
Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 14, 2013, 10:50:23 PM
That would be really good to add.

Do something like a hare challenging a hummingbird to a food-eatinng contest.
Not that would be intresting!

Life is too short to rush through it.

Buzz_Bumble

Unfortunately the smaller hummingbirds only tend to drink nectar from flowers rather than actually eat anything.  :)

Rusvul

Yah, but they could drink more weight than hares could eat. :P. What sort of names do you think they'd have if they were in Redwall? I was thinking of Shredwing or Jadefeather or Needlebeak or Amethyst. Something like that XP.

Buzz_Bumble

Honeysucker
Nector
Hummer
Blurwing
Hoverwing
Speedy

They'd probably speak very fast and non-stop too. :)
"Are-we-there-yet, when-are-we-getting-there, how-far-is-it, will-we-be-there-long, what-are-we-doing-there, when-are-we-coming-back, ..."

Rusvul

Right, steampunk Redwall hummingbird character.

Name: Amethyst
Species: Giant Hummingbird
Weapons: Needles on wingtips, and fastened to the end of every major wing feather. Helmet with spike protruding in front, similar to the one worn by General Ironbeak in the tv interpretation of Mattimeo.
Clothing: ummm..... Redwall birds usually don't have clothes, right?
Personality: Fast everything. Thinking, moving, talking. Tiny attention span, unless confronted with ales or cordials.
Physical description: Purple. Unlike most hummingbirds, he can only reflect one color well, and that is purple, hence his name. Missing small claw on right foot.

Ungatt Trunn

It seems like Amethyst's personality is what all other Hummingbirds would be like ;D

Life is too short to rush through it.

CrazyPug37

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 15, 2013, 02:18:17 AM
Unfortunately the smaller hummingbirds only tend to drink nectar from flowers rather than actually eat anything.  :)
Some do eat small bugs though.

Quote from Wikipedia:  (Sorry, bad source, but I'm lazy  ;D)

Hummingbirds drink nectar, a sweet liquid inside certain flowers. Like bees, they are able to assess the amount of sugar in the nectar they eat; they reject flower types that produce nectar that is less than 10% sugar and prefer those whose sugar content is higher. Nectar is a poor source of nutrients, so hummingbirds meet their needs for protein, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, etc. by preying on insects and spiders
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

Rusvul

All hummingbirds eat bugs. Nectar has like no protein.

CrazyPug37

Name: Nectarfeather

Species: Swallow-Tailed Hummingbird (One of the largest types)

Weapons: Nectarfeather carries a short dagger, given to him by his father when he turned 14. (A coming-of-age custom common of Hummingbird boys and girls of the tribe.)  His beak is covered with a long iron point with a golden end when he fights, which gives him the ability to dive on opponents without injuring his beak.

Clothing: He wears a light blue tunic and a matching blue beret with a hummingbird feather sticking out of the top.

Personality: Nectarfeather is very quiet and self-conscious of his actions.  He is mature and respectful, and is often seen talking with the elders of Redwall, reading in the Gatehouse, eating, or hanging out with friends.  He is well-respected by all in the community, being a great fighter and a nice guy.

Physical description: The top half of his body is purplish-blue, while the bottom is green.  Muscular and fit with a scar running across his face, Nectorfeather is strong, mature, and has seen many more battles than most Hummingbirds his age.

NOTE: Currently resides with his father's tribe in Redwall Abbey, due to the fact that they have nowhere to reside, as they were driven out of their old home.

Afrika United

The Shade

Quote from: CrazyPug37 on May 23, 2013, 12:11:25 AM
Name: Nectarfeather

Species: Swallow-Tailed Hummingbird (One of the largest types)

Weapons: Nectarfeather carries a short dagger, given to him by his father when he turned 14. (A coming-of-age custom common of Hummingbird boys and girls of the tribe.)  His beak is covered with a long iron point with a golden end when he fights, which gives him the ability to dive on opponents without injuring his beak.

Clothing: He wears a light blue tunic and a matching blue beret with a hummingbird feather sticking out of the top.

Personality: Nectarfeather is very quiet and self-conscious of his actions.  He is mature and respectful, and is often seen talking with the elders of Redwall, reading in the Gatehouse, eating, or hanging out with friends.  He is well-respected by all in the community, being a great fighter and a nice guy.

Physical description: The top half of his body is purplish-blue, while the bottom is green.  Muscular and fit with a scar running across his face, Nectorfeather is strong, mature, and has seen many more battles than most Hummingbirds his age.

NOTE: Currently resides with his father's tribe in Redwall Abbey, due to the fact that they have nowhere to reside, as they were driven out of their old home.

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on May 15, 2013, 08:02:56 PM
Right, steampunk Redwall hummingbird character.

Name: Amethyst
Species: Giant Hummingbird
Weapons: Needles on wingtips, and fastened to the end of every major wing feather. Helmet with spike protruding in front, similar to the one worn by General Ironbeak in the tv interpretation of Mattimeo.
Clothing: ummm..... Redwall birds usually don't have clothes, right?
Personality: Fast everything. Thinking, moving, talking. Tiny attention span, unless confronted with ales or cordials.
Physical description: Purple. Unlike most hummingbirds, he can only reflect one color well, and that is purple, hence his name. Missing small claw on right foot.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

The Shade

But which will win??

(Sorry I messed that up, by mistake posted. And I tryed to modifiy too.)
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Captain Tammo

Could you imagine an army of hummingbirds?
"Bring in the Sky Ants!"
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior