News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

From the Fire Mountain

Started by BrookSkimmer, December 31, 2015, 04:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrookSkimmer

Tichus nodded as the badger lord went over the plans. Simple enough: Patrol down the coast line, track from any signs of vermin landing on the shores. Once this is finished go inland and meet up with the band of shrews that has been spotted on numerous occasions over the past season. Communicate with them that they are free to be on the lands of the Salamandastron. Take time to train some of the newer recruits during all of this and then return home.

"Aye Lord, it shall be done sah!"

"Good, see to it that those green ones get a little time of training in Tichus. They need it!"

"Sah yes sah!"

"That is all Brigadier."

"Yes sah, thank yah sah!"

With that the hare saluted and then turned on his heels to meet the assembling group of patrollers at the check in point.

"Oh and Tichus?"

"Aye lord?"

"Do keep an eye on that ferret would you? I've never been to keen on having vermin in this mountain."

Tichus nodded and saluted once more before heading out of the badger's chambers.

Soon he was making his way to the tunneling leading to the shore exit from Salamandastron. That was where the others were to form up for inspection. He wondered which hares exactly had been assigned to this mission. The badger had not told him specifics. Whoever they were, they were in for a treat! Patrolling with Brigadier Longleap was no walk through the daisy patch!

LT Sandpaw

A small group of five hares and a ferret had assembled down on the sands before Salamandastron. They were all young, except for the ferret, and the mix of uniform colors made a interesting display. Among these creatures stood a tall female hare by the name of Lane, Lane Longstep daughter of the famous Lieutenant Longstep. Her blue uniform looked crisp and clean, all of the metal buttons gleamed slightly in the sunshine. At her hip rested a fine fencing saber complete with a decorated guard. The hare herself was chatting animatedly with the others while behind her staying quiet was her twin brother Larn. Breaking off from her conversation Lane glanced up at the sun judging the time as she had been taught to do.

"Looks close to rally chaps." She mused resting her paw on her sword hilt. "I say, we ought to form a formation wot. Make it look sharp for th' Brigadier what'cha say? Make a good first impression an' all that. My pater says that a first impression is everythin' don'tcha know."

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

A young hare named Skippy looked up from munching an apple he'd managed to snag from the breakfast table.
"Aw really? Mine says scoff is everything, so I brought the ole Brigadier an apple!...Oh." He grinned sheepishly and tossed the apple core aside.
"Ha, well I guess a formation is good, too, Lane."

LT Sandpaw

"That's the ticket Skips." Lane said enthusiastically placing her paws on her hips. She sized up the four hares and ferret deciding how best to situate them. "All right chaps Skippy you'll be element leader, we'll jus' have one element seeing as we only have five beast here. An I don't count seein' as I'm acting Sergeant wot. Th' rest of you line up off O' him. Hm Larn you stand there, at attention. Yes just like that. Uh you, ferret-whiskers. Pardon me old fella but I completely forgot your name old chum?"

Ashleg

Skippy grinned and stood where he was supposed to, folding his arms and looking playfully smug.
"His name's Coraltooth and he's not that old. It's good I'm the leader, wot wot!"

Lady Amber

Rosalee looked back down the hall for what seemed the millionth time, waiting nervously for the Brigadier to arrive. This was her first official patrol, and she was a bit anxious, wanting to prove herself to the Brigadier. Listening to the other's conversation, she asked, grinning, "Who made you the leader, Skippy?"

Ashleg

Skippy grinned and rocked back and fourth on his footpaws.
"Lane said I'm element leader, Rosalee."

Lady Amber

Rosalee, looking rather skeptical, folded her arms across her chest. "You did, Lane?"

LT Sandpaw

Frowning slightly Lane scratched her ear looking uncomfortable at Rosalee's words. Her earlier air of self confidence slipping away. "I er, yah ol' bean I did make Skippy Element leader. But in drill an' ceremony it jus' means he's on the right side O' the formation. Wot?" She fiddled with her saber blade, adding the extra wot in a questioning manner to make sure she was indeed telling the truth and not giving out the wrong information.

Ashleg

Skippy grinned mischievously and wiggled his eyebrows.
"The word leader's still in it."

Lady Amber

Rosalee rolled her eyes, and returned to watching for the Brigadier. "When do you think the Brigadier will come, wot?"

Groddil

Coraltooth shot a glare at Skippy that could melt rock.
"I can speak for myself, young one. Or at least I WOULD if this short-eared she-devil stopped strangling me!"
Private Jacklyn Shortears tugged Coraltooth's leash sharply, causing him to gag.
"Mind your manners, Coral. I don't like this any more than you do."
She muttered curses under her breath, still angry at being named Ferret Handler.
"Where is the Brigadier, anyway? I'm getting dumber just standing here with this mangy thing."
Coraltooth snarled. He had to find a way out of these chains.

Ashleg

Skippy shook his head apologetically and kicked at a pebble.
"I'm awful sorry, Coraltooth Sah. Didn't mean to offend."

Groddil

Coraltooth grinned.
"Sah, eh? Tell you what, Skippy. Get me out of these chains, and 'Sah' will forgi-YAAAAGH!"
Jacklyn had yanked the chain again.
"Shut up, ferret! First you ruin my chances of becoming a proper Long Patroller, you don't have to rub it in!"
The haremaid aimed a sloppy kick at Coraltooth, who easily sidestepped it. Jacklyn fell to the ground. Coraltooth noticed the keys jangling on her belt. If only...
He gave a  huge, faked grin and helped his jailer up.

Ashleg

Skippy watched the scene unfold with a grimace.
He couldn't help but smirk when Jacklyn's kick missed the ferret, feeling that she had no reason to kick him in the first place.