News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Growing pains in Mossflower

Started by belle, September 17, 2016, 05:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

belle

Dusk was beginning to fall upon Mossflower Woods, and Sarai had not found Redwall Abbey.
The young ferret had been trekking along for hours, trying to follow the directions she had been given, but it seemed she had forgotten a part of what she had been told. Had he said to head North when she sighted the ruins of St. Ninian's church, or south? For that matter, in which direction was she headed - was she even travelling northwards or southwards?
Before sleeping the night before, she had positioned a stick upon the ground so that it was pointing in the direction she was to travel in. The trouble was that, when she'd woken, she could not remember which end she had meant to use as the pointer - the larger end, or the crooked one?
When she'd realized she had forgotten, she had forced herself to put on a bold face and continue travelling regardless, in the hopes that she would reach the Abbey somehow. But, after hours of walking, she had not found the Abbey, and it had become clear to her that she was hopelessly lost.

LT Sandpaw

Redwall's twin bells, the Matthias and Methuselah sounded the evening toll across the abbey grounds and Mossflower. Worn paws were dusted and sore backs straightened as the good mice and woodlanders of Redwall finished their daily tasks, gathering together to eat the evening meal in Cavern Hole. One of their number, a middle-aged badger by the name of Grensa ambled through the abbey's garden's where she had been keeping an eye on Redwall's youth, fondly called dibbuns, as they played. Now she shooed them out of the neat vegetable rows chatting with one of her friends, a hedgehog named Harth.
"That'd be Reggie at the bells today, he was right excited about getting the task let me tell you." She commented as Harth finishing up loading a wheelbarrow with farming tools. "He's a bit old for the task, but its better then letting him continue to get into trouble, and he's right horrible at everything else."

The hedgehog chuckled, dropping a potato sack into the barrow. "Aye so he is. Bit enthusiastic 'bout it though in't e'. Trying to let half o' Mossflower know tis suppertime I suppose?" The two continued talking and joking, joining the flow of Redwallers heading towards Cavern Hole.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Reggie had the bell rope in a strangle grip as he rode the momentum. One moment his footpaws would be planted squarely on the tower's floor, and the next he would be dangling high up, kicking and laughing happily. His merriment was drowned out by the constant gonging of the bells, but he wasn't overly bothered; Reggie had stuffed his ears with cotton to keep from being deafened.

Deciding the Abbey was thoroughly alerted Reggie waited until he was standing on the rough sandstone floor before releasing the rope, rolling away as the bells sounded one last time.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

belle

LT Sandpaw

belle

@LT Sandpaw OMG I forgot about the bio, I read it and just saw hes 13. Omg I feel stupid. Forget that post.

LT Sandpaw

OOC: Don't worry about it, that kind of thing happens sometimes. ;)

belle

@LT Sandpaw sorry I haven't replied, I feel kind of stuck. I was expecting more people to join.

Milady Scribe

Liam Bluetail was a firm believer in going nowhere in particular. If you didn't worry about destinations, then it didn't matter much where you ended up. Hey, it had gotten him this far...wherever "this far" was. Well, there were an awful lot of trees. Had been for a few days, in fact. Bloody big forest, he thought, and started whistling an old drinking song to himself. He liked the way the sound bounced through the trees.

Then, just as he was thinking of giving his footpaws a rest, Liam stumbled out onto a path. Aha! Well this was going to make things much easier. He checked the sun's position and decided to push on for a little while longer before taking a break. Unbeknownst to him, there was a lost young ferretess nearby. Suddenly his ears perked up. He stopped, listened...there was definitely somebeast close by. So he called out cheerfully, "Oi! Quit skulkin' 'round, will ya? Come on out an' we'll 'ave summat to eat, eh?" He was starting to get hungry, after all, and he still had a loaf or two in his pack.

{(+)}

Sheila loved the sounds of the Abbey's bells. Especially when they were tolled at the end of the day. That particular message meant more to her than just the wonderful food she knew would be waiting in Cavern Hole. She enjoyed relaxing at the end of a busy day, telling stories at the fireside, helping corral energetic Dibbuns into bed, spending time with other Abbeybeasts...but most of all, the hare loved the peace and quiet of stargazing on the Abbey's cool sandstone walls after almost everybeast else was asleep.

((OOC: Bit long, sorry... And fixed the Loma/Reggie thing.))
"This song, as all of our songs, has nothing whatever to do with squirrels." -Darby O'Gill

Favorite trenchcoated characters: Castiel, Lt. Columbo, Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, The Doctor, Harry Dresden, Sherlock Holmes

belle

@Milady Scribe YASH! :) more players.
I cancelled the original post about Loma, that was a mistake.
After a moment of hesitation, Sarai came out into the open.
She studied this stranger carefully. Seasons of experience had taught her to be wary of other vermin, and any other vermin she had encountered had been, perhaps rightfully, wary of her. This one was especially unusual to her - he was in Mossflower Woods, firstly, and she had not expected to see another creature here who was not a woodlander. He was also clean, well-groomed, and cheerful of demeanor, which was the oddest part of all. The young ferretmaid could not decide whether she ought to be frightened or put at ease.
Eventually, however, hunger overcame her reluctance, and she inched forward.
"I'm Sarai." She did not meet his eyes.

@LT Sandpaw The squirrelmaid Loma complained to the others, "Praise God he's done!  My ears are bleeding. Still, I suppose being half deaf isn't as bad as having him underfoot, making trouble."
Another older squirrel chided her gently. "You mustn't be so hard on him; he's only thirteen seasons and he's a boy. It isn't easy to be still, quiet and poised from morning till night at that age."
An impish young hedgehog called out, "Aye, gets harder the older you get, actually - Loma's NEVER still OR quiet!"
Loma rounded on him and began to pursue him with a towel. Laughing, the young hedgehog went rolling through the grass, under a table, and was off like a shot, dashing into the bell tower.
"Reggie, last one in Cavern Hole is a fat slug and doesn't get anything to eat!"

LT Sandpaw

"What!" Reggie shouted in mock horror before skillfully leapfrogging over the hedgehog, being careful not to prick his paws on his spikes, before leading the charge out of the bell tower. "Guess it'll be you then, haha keep up twinklepaws." Reggie had a clear head start and ranged well ahead of his hedgehog friend. He might have made it a clean win too had he not tripped on his sandals and went skidding across the soft abbey lawn. Bouncing back to his footpaws Reggie shook off the tumble looking around to see how many creatures had seen him fall.
"Ha, meant to do that." He explained his ears turning bright pink.

belle

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on September 22, 2016, 05:33:30 PM

"What!" Reggie shouted in mock horror before skillfully leapfrogging over the hedgehog, being careful not to prick his paws on his spikes, before leading the charge out of the bell tower. "Guess it'll be you then, haha keep up twinklepaws." Reggie had a clear head start and ranged well ahead of his hedgehog friend. He might have made it a clean win too had he not tripped on his sandals and went skidding across the soft abbey lawn. Bouncing back to his footpaws Reggie shook off the tumble looking around to see how many creatures had seen him fall.
"Ha, meant to do that." He explained his ears turning bright pink.
@LT Sandpaw Comelie, a hogwife who had just come outdoors, having helped to finish setting the tables, just smiled at him. She had known the impish young creature since he had been a baby and was fond of him.
"Of course you did. Come inside, you little hooligan, or you'll be late for grace and the elders will have a fit."

Milady Scribe

Liam had almost decided that he was hearing things when a ferret seemed to materialize out of the trees like some nature spirit. The weasel nearly jumped out of his fur.

"I'm Sarai."

"Blimey," Liam said. She couldn't be more than thirteen seasons, he was sure, but she'd given him the fright of his young life. "Wot are you doin' wand'rin' 'round this place alone? Where's your mum'n'dad?" he asked, swinging the pack down off his shoulder to get at the food inside. This Sarai looked leery--she wouldn't have much reason to stay if all he did was ask questions. And she was probably hungry. All young creatures were, weren't they? Himself included, so Liam fished out a loaf of bread and broke it in half. "Ah, nevermind. If you wanna tell me y'can, but I won't make ya. 'S lovely t'meet ya, Sarai. My name's Liam. 'Ere. Not much, but it's all I've got, innit?" he finished with a smile, holding out a chunk of bread.

{(+)}

Sheila watched the youngsters' antics with an amused smirk. She wasn't that much older than them, really, but she was now truly considered an adult...and was expected to always behave like one. There was nothing the hare wanted more at that moment than to shout "we'll see who's a fat slug!" and bolt for the Abbey doors. But those days were behind her now, so she contented herself with watching the scramble on her way to a seat in Cavern Hole and muttering wistfully, "Enjoy et while ye can, lads."
"This song, as all of our songs, has nothing whatever to do with squirrels." -Darby O'Gill

Favorite trenchcoated characters: Castiel, Lt. Columbo, Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, The Doctor, Harry Dresden, Sherlock Holmes

belle

Sarai hesitated again, but accepted the bread and began to devour it. She would trust in the good naturedness of this Liam - after all, what alternative did she have, besides starving?
"Thank you. I 'aven't got a mum or dad. I'm 'eaded t' Redwall, but I got lost."
-----------------------------

A young male hare, who had been stealing glances at Sheila for a while, followed her into Cavern Hole and pulled out a chair for her, with an elaborate bow.

Milady Scribe

((OOC: My deepest apologies for holding this thing up! School, job search, travel plans...in short, life. Ergh.))

After Sarai took the bread, Liam started in on his own chunk, though not as ravenously as his new acquaintance.

"Thank you. I 'aven't got a mum or dad. I'm 'eaded to Redwall, but I got lost."

An orphan, eh? Well, that would explain a thing or two. Liam was as good as one himself but he'd never lost anybeast he was really close to. He couldn't imagine it and frankly, he didn't much want to try. "Sorry 'bout your folks," he said. "But I think I know th' place you're talkin' 'bout. Redwall...bloomin' great place with, well, red walls? Never been there meself but I've 'eard it's somewheres on this path. The way we're goin', I think."

The weasel had heard more about the abbey than the color of its walls, and he decided he wouldn't mind accompanying Sarai there. Not at all. And maybe they could use a fellow like him. He had all sorts of skills, after all. Why, he could...er...well, he was sure he would think of some way to earn a few meals. And if that didn't work he could always try charm--it had gotten him this far.

{(+)}

Sheila had been entirely oblivious to the buck until he pulled out a seat for her. "Oh. Thank ye," she said, surprised, but sat nonetheless. Unsure of exactly how to proceed but striving for politeness, she indicated the seat next to her and inquired, "Would ye like tae sit here?"