News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Redwall Video Game Kickstarter

Started by scarlet, April 29, 2013, 04:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarlet

Disclaimer: I am not a part of the Soma Games company, the material below does not belong to me, I am only a Redwall fan who is super excited about this project and trying to get more people involved.

AbbeyCraft - A Redwall Minecraft Adventure and community channel to engage and communicate with fans. But that's just the beginning...

(Click play to be taken to their Kickstarter page)

Who says that I am dead
Knows nought at all.
I - am that is,
Two mice within Redwall...

The Redwall Series of books by Brian Jacques has captured the hearts of kids and adults for over 20 years. With over 30 million copies sold around the world, it ranks as some of the bestselling fiction of all time.

We've recently had the remarkable honor of announcing the first ever Official Redwall Video Game. The project is now ramping up, but it will take time - time in which the massive and deeply engaged audience will be hungry for news, images, video, and communication about anything Redwall-related.

Enter AbbeyCraft.
While we develop the Adventure Game we want to give you a way to engage, participate, and access special features like exclusive art, beta programs, development forums and more. And what better channel to use than another game in which building is a core concept - Minecraft.

There is no official blueprint of Redwall Abbey. So our first task in the creation of any kind of 3D game is to layout a full representation of this storied edifice. Given the challenge, we'd be using Minecraft as a prototyping tool anyway which makes for a perfect opportunity to build an adventure map and possibly a multiplayer server. Within that world we can share, communicate and leak news to the people with the tenacity to follow in Matthias' footsteps across the sandstone floors of this mythical structure.

We originally planned to dive right in and get busy creating the full adventure game without any preliminary steps. But then we thought "We want the most important people, the Redwall fans, to have a say in making this something Brian Jacques would be proud of."

And as Minecraft has become a major part of the game community with largely overlapping audiences the fit seemed obvious.

Soma Games is the lesser-known alter ego of Code-Monkeys. As a team we have built over 300 apps and games on several platforms, but primarily for outside clients like Intel, Aruba Networks and Belkin...so it's easy to have missed our name. But this is in no way our first time around the block.

Soma and Code-Monkeys are award winning shops (including a MacWorld Best of Show award and Best UX in Intel's Ultimate Coder Challenge) and sought after speakers at events like Casual Connect, Serious Play and NRB.

Shoring up the Soma Games team, we are working closely with Sean Rubin. Sean has been the official Redwall artist for several years now and the unofficial curator of the canon. His participation is of immeasurable value in making sure we properly convey not just the coarse strokes of the books, but also the fine details. 

All of the rewards have been selected to reward the True Redwall Fan. Our biggest (non-financial) goal here is to find and engage the kinds of fans that live and breathe Redwall. We know that this story is so loved, so admired, so formative for many people that getting it right is a big priority. But we'll never be able to do that without the input from fans like you. Did Matthias wear a hood, or just a robe? Was Constance 3 mice tall or 4 - it all matters, and our reward list has been designed to attract the die hard fans who refuse to be left out of the worlds first official Redwall game.

The work behind the larger game has already started in earnest but there is still a lot of work between here and launch day...and funding is only one of the potential threats to the Adventure Game. This is a place where Kickstarter could do
so
much
More.

If this campaign catches a wind like the screams of a hundred eagles and it starts looking like a Double-Fine kind of story, we've still got a ton of headroom here. Those extra funds will go directly and immediately to the Adventure Game game project, opening up levels for extra content, more races, more platforms and just making the generally Bigger, Better and Badger!

Dannflower Reguba

Might wanna talk to Gears, we are already running a Redwall server (though I'm not going to say much in terms of its' Geographical accuracy).
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

cryptopur

Hello Redwallers - I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and say thank you.
I'm with Soma Games and yes, we're the group currently building a Redwall video game and running the Kickstarter for The Warrior Reborn.
Honestly, we were totally (pleasantly) surprised by the response of the Redwall community - our initial goal was meant to be a modest test - we just didn't know how many folks would get behind us.

Obviously I'm a noob here but wanted to make myself available for any questions you might have. Some of the specifics of the game remain secret but I'm happy to share lots of good stuff. And we'd be very, very grateful for your support.

Also a word on pre-existing fan works like the Redwall Minecraft server mentioned in this thread. It would be our hope to collaborate with as many of the loyal fans who have gone before us as much as possible. I don't really know exactly what that might mean in the details but it's our desire to supplement the already awesome work out there than to reinvent a bunch of stuff.

Matthias720

We're glad to have you here, cryptopur! :) I'm on the edge of my seat, eagerly waiting to see what you guys announce next.

Shadowed One

I really like what I have seen of the game so far! I cannot wait to see it!
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

VedCassib

I'm really excited for this game! When I heard about the game I remembered this forum. I haven't been on in a while, hopefully I'll be on a little more now!

Redwallfan7

I'm really excited too. Hopefully now the Redwall series can become even more popular once more people see this.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

rachel25

Is the game safe or will it put a vires on your computer  ??? look at this dum dum duuuu

VedCassib

Quote from: rachel25 on May 01, 2013, 04:48:30 PM
Is the game safe or will it put a vires on your computer  ??? look at this dum dum duuuu

The game won't be out for a year or two, but when it does come out it will be perfectly safe to install onto your computer as long a you download it from a legitimate source.

cryptopur

Lily

Thanks for that, cryptopur! It looks awesome. The more I see about this game, the more excited I get.

VedCassib

Yeah, thank you! I've been wondering about the concept art. Time for some new desktop and phone wallpapers!

Romsca

Quote from: cryptopur on May 02, 2013, 06:42:59 AM
http://www.somagames.com/art/RW/boat.php

First dibs to Redwall Abbey - it only seems fair.

What's that boat from? I don't remember a boat in the first book... especially one that looked like a house...

cryptopur

The boat is a location inside an expansion pack in the game, a side quest with its own new, but fully integrated story.

Dawnwing

That page is pretty interesting!  What's the countdown for?

Anyway, I've got a few questions:

- "While we develop the Adventure Game we want to give you a way to engage, participate, and access special features like exclusive art, beta programs, development forums and more."
Does this mean that backers may get a chance to beta test the game?

- How does the forum at the $39 level differ from the information revealed in AbbeyCraft?

- Is "The Traitor's Den" something that will only happen if we meet the stretch goal?  Or would it still be a seperate, paid add-on if the goal is not met?