St. Ninians is Real!

Started by Captain Tammo, January 11, 2013, 03:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

A church? A joke? A fact!

Check it out, there's a St. Ninians High School! Well, a few actually!

Here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Ninian's_High_School
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Lutra

Links to actual schools are far more believable than wikipedia.

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/er/StNinians/

Though I'm not really surprised its a parochial school.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

321tumbler

Is anyone else wondering if Jacques went here or something?

W0NWILL

Redwaller

Quote from: W0NWILL on January 11, 2013, 09:28:41 PM
No. He went to St. John's
OOT: You could put this in the summary of Brian.

BIT: He might have done this on purpose.

Captain Tammo

I think it may have been a coincidence. I feel like it was just a popular name for a church... Is there an actual person who was saint Ninian?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Redwaller

Not sure, but in one of the books they tell of the story of St. Ninians

Lily

Apparently there was a Saint Ninian.

Brian used a few Christian or Biblical names in Redwall; Methuselah, Matthias, even Asmodeus is a demon from the Catholic bible. I think Mr Jacques just liked the names. :)

Kitsune

Martin the warrior

Apples is ripe when they are ready  
When pears is ripe they'll fall
What must happen will happen or       
it won't happen at all

To love, you must first love yourself

ZaniatheBlack

He certainly likes names that start with M doesn't he?  ;)
I am Zania the Black cat and I fear nobeast, and I vow that whoever made the stars that shine, whoever made green trees of pine, whoever dreamed up fish and mice, or sun and rain and snow and ice, that I MUST have the power in my paws,to help when there's a worthy cause!!!

R.I.P. Rose of Noonvale

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Lily on January 14, 2013, 11:45:59 AM
Apparently there was a Saint Ninian.

Brian used a few Christian or Biblical names in Redwall; Methuselah, Matthias, even Asmodeus is a demon from the Catholic bible. I think Mr Jacques just liked the names. :)
It can be noted that all of these bibical names only are used in his earlier works.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Captain Tammo

Good point, I think as religious controversy spread, he made his books more appealing to all religions

AxeHound

Personally, I like the Biblical names better than later names. Like Uggo Wiltud. We go from Matthias to Uggo? Not cool.

(please do not send me the pm game messages)

Captain Tammo

Quote from: AxeHound on February 26, 2013, 05:48:36 PM
Personally, I like the Biblical names better than later names. Like Uggo Wiltud. We go from Matthias to Uggo? Not cool.

I agree, the biblical names were just more medieval sounding