What Happened To Martin's Tomb?

Started by HeadInAnotherGalaxy, July 07, 2017, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

I think there was a graveyard at St. Ninian's. Does anyone else recall that?
Failing that as a burial place, the most likely area would be on the plains.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

What if they've all been stuffed into Martin's tomb?

Luftwaffles

Quote from: The Skarzs on July 10, 2017, 05:43:10 PM

Wasn't that abandoned, though?
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

The Skarzs

It was burned down. But the grounds would still be intact, and what better place for a cemetery?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: The Skarzs on July 10, 2017, 07:59:27 PM
It was burned down. But the grounds would still be intact, and what better place for a cemetery?

No yeah, totally.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

The Skarzs

I believe in the Long Patrol there was a mass grave for the Rapscallions(?) who had died, but other than that. . .
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Do they only bury select creatures?

The Skarzs

I don't think they would specially bury vermin. :P I imagine most Redwallers would be given proper burials in private graves, or in the case of wartime, lined up neatly in a large grave.
We should look up what the burial practices for the ancient Celts was like.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Grond

Quote from: The Skarzs on July 10, 2017, 05:43:10 PM

Sure, but I can't recall in any of the books it being mentioned that Abbey beasts who died in or near the Abbey during peace time who weren't buried within abbey grounds. There is no mention of an Abbey beast being buried at St. Ninians or on the plains. I can only think of one example contrary to this in the book the Long Patrol, following the battle with the Rapscallions that the good beasts were buried I think on top of the hill/ridge. But that would be an extreme circumstance and doesn't really explain peace time burials...

Loamhedge Abbey, had a specifically designated area for their graveyard- complete with headstones/tombstones as detailed in the book of the same name. Since Loamhedge mice buried their dead- to very much Western standards, and they founded Redwall it makes sense that they would preserve their mortuary/burial practices at Redwall.

The Skarzs

Yes, but the amount of creatures that have died and would have died over the ages would have filled any designated area for burial inside the abbey.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah zink Ah recall vone or zeveral Vermin bodiez bein' zrovn in ze ditch ootzoide.
Zere are many zin'z mentioned in ze firzt book zat dinnae appear anyvhere elze in ze zeriez: loike Abbot Mortimer namin' ze Zvord, Martin'z Tomb, etc. It needz tae be noted zat Redwall vaz originally vritten az a zingle Novel.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Ashleg

That does not mean that important places like that have an excuse to just disappear.
Brian kept lots of location-type things in-world (excluding the maps, which vary every book) consistent.

The Skarzs

He kept in several things, like the weathervane being where the sword was put and St. Ninian's, but he definitely left out many other things. Like after Mattimeo the sparrows just disappeared.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Maybe the Redwallers cooked them and ate them. >:D

Or they forgot to pay their rent!

NovaNocturne

This would make for a fascinating detail to have been featured in one of the books. Too bad there won't be any more other than fanfiction.