Is redwall A religous establishment?

Started by xxmpxx, August 17, 2012, 06:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwallfan7

Quote from: SpiderMonkey on August 20, 2012, 06:21:31 PM
In my opinion, it is definitely a religion.  I don't know If Brian wanted it to be like that, but it is, at least from my perspective.  Martin seems to be the main being they worship, he helped found redwall after all!
I'm not slamming your opinion, but I've never seen the Redwallers worship Martin. True, he's an important figure to their lives and structure, but in all the books I've read I never saw anything  about them praying to him or singing to him, which is the base of worship to me.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

SpiderMonkey

^

Now that I think about it, you may be right.  They don't really pray to him or sing, but I still think redwall is a religous land.

Flandor

There's no evidence that it's religious at all though.  They don't worship anything, pray, have a holy book, or anything.  Again, they don't do ANYTHING religious.  Enjoying peace and spreading good will is not a religious concept. 
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Trigoma

@Flandor One thing they do, is the say "grace" which can be seen as religious in certain perspectives. Brian does a good job at keeping it neutral, as I stated before.
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

Dannflower Reguba

I think some of his Catholicism is SLIGHTLY visible... But you have to have the right mindset to notice. It does tread that fine line pretty well.  :)
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

UNKN0WN

it may have (inadvertently) portrayed Christianity.  See link below:

http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Tree_Climber/The_Religon_of_Redwall

redwallgurl

I think that there is no real religion in Redwall. They believe in peace and helping other beasts and the pelntiful mother Earth. There is some resemblance to some religion but that doesn't mean that it was intended for Redwall. YOu can think that in your mind but it's mainly for the good of other creatures and MOther Earth.
Fun. is a fantastic band.

UNKN0WN

that religion would be cosmic humanism (living for Mother earth)

Lutra

Again, the only time you seriously get a sense that the Abbey has any sort of religion attached is you read the first book.   There are prayers for food, for peace, and the like.  Its less prevalent as it goes on.  If Redwall never had any sequel stories or never blossomed into the franchise we know, then our opinions would be reversed here because there clearly are religious overtones in the first book, that definitely have disappeared as time has gone on. ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

AxeHound

They're animals. I don't think it matters.

(please do not send me the pm game messages)

Something Horrifying

Quote from: Lutra on August 22, 2012, 12:33:47 PM
Again, the only time you seriously get a sense that the Abbey has any sort of religion attached is you read the first book.   There are prayers for food, for peace, and the like.  Its less prevalent as it goes on.  If Redwall never had any sequel stories or never blossomed into the franchise we know, then our opinions would be reversed here because there clearly are religious overtones in the first book, that definitely have disappeared as time has gone on. ;)
This, pretty much. A lot of things from the first book have been outright stated to not be canon anymore, just like the horse. lol
SEPULCHRITUUUUUUUUUUU-UUUDE!

Fanfics: Blackness (complete) --- Recovery (in progress)
Art: Art Thread --- MS Paint Redwall

phoenixfoden

brian made it an abbey because it is a peacful place away from the troubles of the world.

AbbotAlf0805

Quote from: Griffen on August 18, 2012, 05:39:38 PM
yep there is no religion in Redwall Abbey, yet...

but remember that AbbotAlf0805's signiture is I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ. so that might be why he has been gone for about a month now.... perhaps he's found a way to Redwall Abbey and is sharing the good news

Thanks bro!  :) I have been on a rather long vacation. I play football and that's currently my priority right now so.. ya. I do, however, believe that Redwall Abbey follows some form of Catholicism and/or minor form of Eastern Orthodoxy. But they don't specify it in the series. Also, I don't think they worship Martin. I think they just treat him as their Satron Saint.
I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

KaiTheDog

Quote from: Flandor on August 20, 2012, 10:52:37 PM
Enjoying peace and spreading good will is not a religious concept. 

^THIS.
(Oh hey, I've been gone for a while, haven't I?)

I don't understand why it's so important if Redwall is a religious establishment or not; I mean, we have St. Ninians Church, which was originally a house. It's not like the abbey is full of evil creatures just because they don't pray to or follow the doctrines of a God or Gods. Give me one good example of an Abbot, Abbess, Abbeywarrior, ect. who fits the role of being evil because of that.
Can't do it?
Exactly.

It's a really bad stereotype to assume nonreligious or atheist people (or animals in this case) are bad or morally wrong, because that's not always the case (there might be exceptions, but everything has at least one), and I believe that that world would be a better place if we didn't judge people like that.

AxeHound

When did anyone say that they were evil because Redwall wasn't a religious establishment? You were the first person to even insinuate that!

EDIT: Excuse me. I reread that and it sounded rude. I didn't mean to be. I was just trying to make a point.

(please do not send me the pm game messages)