News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

How long do the animals live?

Started by Bluefire, May 18, 2012, 08:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluefire

I don't think they live as long as humans...they usually say seasons instead of years, but in the TV show they said Matthias is 13 years old. So how long do you think they live?

Bragoon

My guess is that they changed it from seasons to years in the TV show for clarity. 

It seems to be a reasonable explanation that one season counts for one year in their lives, or maybe two seasons to a year at a stretch.  I'm thinking particularly of when it says that walking, gibbering Dibbuns are having their first Summer or Winter.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Redwallfan7

I think they live as long as people, because the years are measured in seasons. For example, a 12 year old person would be 12 seasons long. BJ treats his animals like people, in some ways.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lutra

If I remember the last topic like this (it exists, I just don't have the time to seek it out at the moment), we determined that a season is a fourth of a year because there are four primary seasons in Britain.  This better fits with the average life of the animals.  Matthias as 13 seasons is a little more than four years...actually quite old for a mouse.  Its not clear but I think this fits better than one year=one season.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

WildDoogyPlumm

Quote from: Bragoon on May 18, 2012, 08:49:04 PM
My guess is that they changed it from seasons to years in the TV show for clarity. 

It seems to be a reasonable explanation that one season counts for one year in their lives, or maybe two seasons to a year at a stretch.  I'm thinking particularly of when it says that walking, gibbering Dibbuns are having their first Summer or Winter.
Well, a one- or two-year-old human can walk, why not the same for Dibbuns?
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Bragoon

That's what I'm saying, that it would take a year or two for a human to get to that point, but if it was their first Summer or Winter and they could already do those things, then they would have to have a faster growth rate.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Bluefire

Um, okay, thanks for all the replies.