News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Russa Nodrey's Staff

Started by The Skarzs, February 27, 2015, 12:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Has anyone thought about what Russa's staff was made of? What made it so hard and durable? Also, why didn't it rot or pit while it was floating out on the sea?

I would like to put forth some answers to these, and I hope others might be able to share their knowledge as well.
For what it was made of, I would say hickory or ash, a lot of the "hardwoods" being too hard and short-grained, making them susceptible to breaking. Second-growth hickory is renowned for making good, time-tested handles, and ash is also pretty good, though not as widely used.
As to how hard and durable it was, not only is hickory rather dense by itself, the wood can be made even stronger with soaking and drying, a process that is possible for driftwood to experience. Eventually the wood will contract into itself, pushing out water and filling in its own gaps, making it harder and tougher. This drying and soaking constantly is a way of stabilizing the wood, so that is why it did not become water-logged and rot while out on the waters.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

I would have to go with the hickory; having a family relative who is a carpenter gives me some experience.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Wylder Treejumper

I would say ebony, except it's dense enough that it sinks in water...
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Rivertheotter

Well, there are many fictional elements in redwall, talking middle ages rodents aside.
for example,the wearat; rats and weasels can't reproduce. so maybe it's not a real type of wood.
"But oh, my love, though our bodies may be parted
though our skin may not touch skin
look for me with the sun-bright sparrow
I will come on the breath of the wind"

The Skarzs

Perhaps, but I rather enjoy thinking of ways that our worlds aren't too different in some aspects. (As apparent by my speculations on what Martin's sword blade is made of.)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

If ebony floated it would fulfill all the requirements.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

Yeah, and I don't recall it being described as being black like ebony is.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

I think Russa had one of the greatest weapons in the series. A simple staff that wouldn't break, there are just a million different uses for that!

As for what it's made of, I couldn't say with any certainty. Carpentry is not something that I really have any experience in. But from what Skarzs has said so far, hickory sounds like a pretty good match! Thanks for making this topic, I've always wondered just what her staff was made of...
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

It's not necessarily carpentry; heck, I learned more about hardening wood through knife making. :P

But yeah, I hadn't thought too much about it before, but I decided to take some time to contemplate what it really would be made of, and I decided to relay that information.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Stonestripe

I always thought it might be petrafied redwood like what is found in the huge redwood forest. It's not wood at all it's actually stone. Just a thought.
"Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords"

The Skarzs

Stone would break too easily for something that thin.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.