Unpublished Work

Started by Mariel, June 12, 2011, 04:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flurgy Twinj

To be honest, I don't see any reason as to why somebody else couldn't write a spin-off story (or series of stories) that, whilst set within the Redwall universe, aren't actually part of the core 'Tales Of Redwall' series itself as written by Brian Jacques.

Other well known franchises (ie. Star Wars) have plenty of novels written by numerous different authors and some of them are brilliant and don't tarnish the name they're using at all.

If any author wrote a Redwall story, it would still have to go through assessment by publishers, it's unlikely that they'd release anything that they didn't think was of a sufficiently high enough quality for us fans  :)
From tummy ache, soretail and sniffs,
From grunge and whisker cramp,
From wobbly paws, and flurgy twinj,
O keep all in this camp.

Osu

I don't believe there is another Redwall book sitting around unpublished. I also would be unhappy if another author took up writing the series; but then, I've never been big on fanfiction.

I'll admit it would be nice if the show could go on, though!
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

The Lady Shael

Anyone is welcome to write fanfiction and post it online (whether on the RFF or the Redwall section of fanfiction.net), however I doubt it will be possible to publish an  "official" Redwall book since Redwall belonged to Brian Jacques. I'm pretty sure he owns the copyright and without his consent (or in this case, his family's consent), no one would be able to publish a book under the "Redwall" name.
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

Log a Log Grenn

Redwall is the best thing that ever happened to me

Mariel

I would love to read more Redwall books, regardless of whether or not Jacques wrote them.  Redwall is such a strong idea that I would love it to become a whole genre, not just a series.

The Lady Shael

Quote from: Log a Log Grenn on June 13, 2011, 03:41:25 PM
Few

Grenn, quality not quantity is important when it comes to posting. :)
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Flurgy Twinj on June 12, 2011, 11:51:43 PM
To be honest, I don't see any reason as to why somebody else couldn't write a spin-off story (or series of stories) that, whilst set within the Redwall universe, aren't actually part of the core 'Tales Of Redwall' series itself as written by Brian Jacques.

Other well known franchises (ie. Star Wars) have plenty of novels written by numerous different authors and some of them are brilliant and don't tarnish the name they're using at all.

If any author wrote a Redwall story, it would still have to go through assessment by publishers, it's unlikely that they'd release anything that they didn't think was of a sufficiently high enough quality for us fans  :)

The thing is, Star Wars is an Expanded Universe series, while Redwall isin't.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

martins#1fan

Quote from: Osu on June 13, 2011, 02:43:32 AM
I don't believe there is another Redwall book sitting around unpublished. I also would be unhappy if another author took up writing the series; but then, I've never been big on fanfiction.

I'll admit it would be nice if the show could go on, though!
Dose Brian have any heirs to take up the work?
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Redwall Musician

It would have been nice if Brian could have decided who was going to write his books. I think if they could find someone really close to his style of writing, it would be awesome. I think that a couple more books would be nice.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

martins#1fan

Quote from: Mariel on June 12, 2011, 04:49:31 AM
I've heard some rumors that Brian Jacques wrote a Redwall book, perhaps more, before he died.  It goes without saying that this would be my greatest dream as a fan!  I love the idea that there might still be some unpublished Jacques masterpieces out in Liverpool.  In addition to the fact that we would get more material, there is also that "National Treasure" aspect of recovering lost literature.  (If the "National Treasure" example doesn't make sense, try this: one of the reasons I love learning and translating Latin is because it combines language AND history.)

I read something about a new book that might be called "Pondicherry", although why the British-born Jacques would be motivated to write about a city in India, I haven't the foggiest idea.  Maybe it's a character's name or something.  But something else tells me there's another Jacques book out there.  This is just a gut instinct, and you can laugh all you want (or post laughing emoticons, anyway) but I just didn't think The Rogue Crew was worthy of being THE last Redwall novel.  Sure, it's a great story, but it just didn't speak to me like some of my other favorite books in the series.  For some reason, I think Jacques has a big smash of a story, a real epic, hidden away somewhere, ready to be published any time from next year to 2075. 

So...yeah.  Please post all your rumors (from credible sources please), feelings, questions, and anything else you want to share with Redwall Abbey about unpublished work.
@Mariel cool! do you think theres anything else about Martin??

martins#1fan

As I've said before, does Brian have any heirs to keep the series going??

Mariel

@martin: Actually, a story about Martin or Matthias would be my first guess as to what additional Redwall work would be about, because it would round out the series by finally coming back to them.  I know that Brian Jacques has two sons, but I'm not sure if they are writers or not.

martins#1fan

Quote from: Mariel on June 16, 2011, 08:40:25 PM
@martin: Actually, a story about Martin or Matthias would be my first guess as to what additional Redwall work would be about, because it would round out the series by finally coming back to them.  I know that Brian Jacques has two sons, but I'm not sure if they are writers or not.
Exellent! Maybe one of the two will keep it going, or maybe even both of them it would be extremely nice!

daskar666

Anyways, someone BETTER continue writing more Redwall otherwise someone will be srsly PISSED.
(btw sure it wont be the same as if Brian wrote it but redwall is overdue for a change from the old formula)

Wot Wot!

Pondicherry is a possibility because Brian was known to get another Redwall adventure going before his latest was even out in print, so another Redwall is probably out there.  Whether or not it is ready for publication is another thing (it might be half-finished or need some serious editing). 

I don't think I would take to another author penning Redwall.  Think of more Narnia adventures not written by CS Lewis or more Lord of the Rings without Tolkien.  Just like these authors, Jacques has a definite style and flair which could possibly be imitated, but never come close to the real thing.
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.