Commentary on the Book Marlfox

Started by Wylder Treejumper, September 17, 2016, 07:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

For discussion related to the book Marlfox.

@James Gryphon: If these topics are considered unnecessary please delete.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

belle

Absolutely loved this book. Of course it was entertaining because it was Redwall, but the conflict between Dannflor and his dad was really cool, too, my favorite aspect of the book.

Dannflor

This is/was my favorite one!!! As of my name!!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Frank Clydth

This book is a true written piece of art, captivating and interesting. Definitely one of the best redwall books that i have read so far.
"Madder than midwinter, stronger than a four-topped oak, temper like lightnin', full 'o the Bloodwrath."- Russa

The Grey Coincidence

The first Redwall book I read and... while I don't want to blaspheme the work of Mr Brian, especially the one that lead me to all of this to begin with, I must admit I found the story a bit dull. I don't know maybe I was new to the accents, or hadn't faced many Songbreeze's, or books with songs in them... but i do know that I loved the interaction of the Marlfoxes, which in turn made me read more, and started my minor obsession with vermin.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

SoranMBane

I think my favourite aspect of this particular book is that it's one of those rare Redwall books that actually has an overarching theme other than the usual "good will always triumph over evil" business that the entire series is always on about. But Marlfox in particular is about how it's wrong to tear children down over their mistakes, and how adults have a responsibility to encourage children as much as possible (as shown in the speech Janglur gives when he chews out Dann's father for yelling at his son, and the scene where Log-a-Log defends Dippler against Fenno's abuse). That's just a really positive message to be sending.

Also, the American cover art for this book is one of my favourite covers in the whole series:

It's just... cool.

gojuchrisa

Last page of Marlfox after the recorder has signed off:

"Curtain!    This narrative has been edited by Florian Dugglwoof Wilfachop, Actor Manager Impresario. Who insists that the entire tale is a drama, which he will be later performing as a play. Hence the three parts being named as acts, and not books.  We crave your indulgence for this deviation."

Did the story really happen in the Redwall world?
Are the events exaggerated?
If its edited by Florian, he clearly didnt paint himself in the best light
He insists that is a drama, just that its dramatic or that is is solely a theatrical piece?
was really surprised by this gem at the end of the book

The Grey Coincidence

Well I think that all the Redwall books are exxagerated accounts of what 'really' happened as history is written by the winners. I doubt he thought up ALL of it, though I don't remember enough of Marlfox to say exactly what was exxagerated.
Yup nice little fourth wall break. Very Deadpool-ey.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Sanddunes

Marlfox was the first book I read from the series

Grond

Quote from: gojuchrisa on October 16, 2018, 01:28:21 PM
Last page of Marlfox after the recorder has signed off:

"Curtain!    This narrative has been edited by Florian Dugglwoof Wilfachop, Actor Manager Impresario. Who insists that the entire tale is a drama, which he will be later performing as a play. Hence the three parts being named as acts, and not books.  We crave your indulgence for this deviation."

Did the story really happen in the Redwall world?
Are the events exaggerated?
If its edited by Florian, he clearly didnt paint himself in the best light
He insists that is a drama, just that its dramatic or that is is solely a theatrical piece?
was really surprised by this gem at the end of the book

Yeah that's one thing I found slightly annoying. Most Redwall books start off as someone retelling a tale of what had previously happened. But then how on earth would someone be able to retell or remember all of the mundane details that happen in the book ? for example cooking food around campfire and so forth. Also we have parts of the book that deal with conversations, daily life and plans going on in vermin camps. How would the re-teller of the story, who is always a "good beast" know what was exactly going on in a vermin camp especially when no woodlanders or good beasts where present there at the time and vermin hordes are almost always completely wiped out...

The Skarzs

I don't think we're supposed to scrutinize it that closely. XD
For the most part, the books can be read without the prologue and epilogue. They're just an addition that shows Brian's storytelling spirit.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Quote from: Grond on October 30, 2018, 05:58:06 AM
Yeah that's one thing I found slightly annoying. Most Redwall books start off as someone retelling a tale of what had previously happened. But then how on earth would someone be able to retell or remember all of the mundane details that happen in the book ? for example cooking food around campfire and so forth. Also we have parts of the book that deal with conversations, daily life and plans going on in vermin camps. How would the re-teller of the story, who is always a "good beast" know what was exactly going on in a vermin camp especially when no woodlanders or good beasts where present there at the time and vermin hordes are almost always completely wiped out...

Actually, that's always been my favorite part of Brain's books. The retelling format is one that I've actually used fairly frequently. Also, with the mundane things, the recorders would probably (if they took joy in their work. ;D) would probably have taken special notice of those "mundane details". As to what's going on in the vermin camps, meh, we needed to know what was going on, so obviously they flew over in a helicopter and just hovered there for a while. It was a stealth helicopter so that the vermin wouldn't be distracted. ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jetthebinturong

Nah, basically, it sets up the framing narrative of the person telling the story. We get transported back in time to see the events as they unfold, while they tell a story of their version of the events. Rufe Brush couldn't have told the story of The Bellmaker as it is written in one night, for example.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

gojuchrisa

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on October 30, 2018, 09:17:13 PM
Nah, basically, it sets up the framing narrative of the person telling the story. We get transported back in time to see the events as they unfold, while they tell a story of their version of the events. Rufe Brush couldn't have told the story of The Bellmaker as it is written in one night, for example.

I really like the way you described that!

Ashleg

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on October 30, 2018, 09:17:13 PM
On-point.