News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Commentary on the Book Doomwyte

Started by Wylder Treejumper, September 17, 2016, 07:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

For discussion related to the book Doomwyte.

@James Gryphon: If these topics are considered unnecessary please delete.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Feles

Doomwyte bored me to death I barely got through it.
Baliss was cool though.
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

alexandre

Well, Doomwhyte was certainly an oddball. It was original in comparison to a lot of the later books, but I didn't really like it. I felt as though the characters were not as well developed, and more time to get to know them would've been nice. Baliss was awesome, and I think the idea of Gonfelins was genius. The Redwallers were rather dull, and the main villain was basically Gruntan Kurdley Junior.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Maudie

Oh, I hated Doomwyte. It was the only Redwall book that I was bored enough to read ahead in, and I didn't finish it the first time around. It felt more juvenile than a lot of the other books to me.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Ashleg

I'm nearly done with this book (currently reading it), so if I'm wrong on something it's because I'm not done yet.
I like it,  to me it's a much quicker read than a few of its predecessors, but I have a few issues...
Here's just me making points on things that either were or weren't so great.
Also titled "Crazy Pine Marten Throws Shade at Book".

-Apparently if you're a relative of Gonff and leave Redwall to go live somewhere else, your offspring become violent savages? That's what I'm getting from the Gonfelins.
---As a side note, their leader is shown hurting his sons and the protagonist does nothing about it. I kept expecting him to step in and be all like "I'm a Redwall hero, you mustn't do that!" BUT nobeast has a problem with it. He also isn't hostile at all towards them after they kidnapped him. If they were rats instead of mice, they would've got a pounding for that. ::)
-Then there's the Wytes and the spooky "Doomwyte" statue thing, an oh-so-mysterious force which they connect back to Gonff...if this kidnapping and disappearing of creatures whom follow weird lights in the forest has been an ongoing thing for that long, it should have been mentioned before! I just feel like Brian tried to make it cooler by connecting it to Gonff but it backfired. If the Wytes were from some other land besides Mossflower and just recently arrived because they'd heard of the Redwallers having the gems, I could let that slide.
-Korvus Skurr's house has more personality than him.
-Also, when Googling Jeg's name, it autocorrects to Jif like the peanut butter.  ;D

Captain Tammo

I haven't read this book in a long time, but I don't remember thinking it was bad! Some people on the forum say this is the darkest or scariest book in the series. It's been too long for me to remember, but do any of you guys who've recently read the book know of any particular spooky moments and such?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ashleg

Scary?
...Nah, I don't think so.

It tried pretty hard.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Ashleg on August 21, 2017, 07:44:50 PM
Scary?

It tried pretty hard.

mmm, gotcha. That makes me think, though. Has anyone made a "spookiest moment in the Redwall series" thread yet?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

It had some odd stuff in it for sure.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Quote from: Captain Tammo on August 21, 2017, 08:05:39 PM
Scary?

It tried pretty hard.

mmm, gotcha. That makes me think, though. Has anyone made a "spookiest moment in the Redwall series" thread yet?

Don't think so.
DO IT.

MeadowR

Quote from: Captain Tammo on August 21, 2017, 08:05:39 PM
Scary?

It tried pretty hard.

I made a 'scary and disconcerting' moments in Redwall thread a few years back. ;D

I can't remember enough to comment here at the moment, but I do know that I rather enjoyed Doomwyte.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Captain Tammo

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on August 22, 2017, 10:24:13 PM
I made a 'scary and disconcerting' moments in Redwall thread a few years back. ;D

It hath been revivethed!

a crumb

Doomwyte, of all the books, strikes me as the one most...almost parodic? Maybe not of Redwall, but of Redwall-Redwall fan conception interaction. The taken-to-eleven set of evil sounding and fantasy (Dwink, Zwilt, Zaran) names, the BLACK FURRED CREATURE, most prominent and also arguably most numerous grey characters, somewhat contrived situation with the jewels...

But I do appreciate its somewhat unconventional ending sequence. It was engaging and dynamic, and with the competing center of villainy (Baliss) felt that way even before the ending.

It came at a weird point for me, though, as the longest break I ever had from two Redwall books was between whatever I had last re-read, and first reading the newly published Doomwyte. That might color my underwhelming impression. It might also have been me trying to hard to make sure I appreciated it. Actually, I think I just figured out what Redwall book I should reread next.

Cornflower MM

Welcome to the twentieth book in our series readalong event: Doomwyte!

For those who have not already seen, here are a couple things to note before you start discussing:

• Please keep your posts here and in the entirety of the General Discussion board on-topic and constructive. When discussing topics like favorites, it always helps to give reasoning as to why you chose your favorite character, scene, etc. When in doubt, add more! It is always fun to see what other people think and respectfully debate with them.
  • If you would like to participate but don't own the book, there are a few resources that may be of use to you. Libby, Audible, and (of course) your local library, are all good ways to rent books/audiobooks for free (Audible is free only for the first 30-day trial). There is no harm in permanently expanding your Redwall collection, though, if you can afford it!
  • If you want even more Redwall discussion, please check out the Recorder on the Wall podcast episodes for the book! Every three weeks we will be posting the relevant episodes, so please check them out. Here are the episodes for Parts 1, 2, and 3 of Doomwyte!
  • If you have created any writing, art, voice acting, or any other form of media based on this book and/or its characters, send a link (or image if it is art) to me through PMs and I will share it in this post! Seeing how other people portray the story through their own work is a wonderful way to be drawn deeper into the story and wider Redwall community.

Finally, here are a few guiding questions for discussion if you are unsure what to talk about:

• Who is your favorite character, and why do you regard them as your favorite?
  • Who was your least favorite character, and why did they bother you?
  • What was your favorite scene? What stuck out to you about it?
  • What are your thoughts on the book as a whole? Where does it rank against other Redwall books and why?
  • Do you have any theories or small details others may not have picked up on when reading?
  • And anything else you want to mention!

Have fun, and happy discussing!

Kenji Admani

i remember my mother read this book in 22 years old.She likes it and says she lovesit.