News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Guosim

Started by Wylder Treejumper, January 27, 2016, 02:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

What did you guys think of the Guosim? I've heard people say they were annoying, and I've heard people that loved them.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Banya

I really like the Guosim.  Their bickering can be tiresome, but they're a hardworking group of good fighters who always step up to the aid of the protagonists, even though it costs them the lives of some of their own.  They also add a good amount of humour.  I admire the unity within their tribe and timelessness of their traditions.  Over the ages, the Guosim has stayed the Guosim.

Wylder Treejumper

I like the Guosim in later books, but the very first ones (the one with the actual union and the blackstone) often got on my nerves. It just seemed counterproductive to have a tribe leader and a union leader, so I'm glad that got sorted out. I think early in the series, they were actually too argumentative.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Delthion

I thought it was quite comical, with the squabbling for the blackstone...that was quite hysterical! ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

alexandre

's been awhile since this topic has been posted on, but I have something to add. In the redwall TV series, the Guosim were characterized as communists (which isn't uncommon for any sort of tribe really). Also, the blackstone wasn't just used in the first book, it came up in Salamandastron I believe, it was used to recognize the Log-A-Log of all southern shrews.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Ashleg

The TV Series actually said the Guosim were communists? What the? XD

alexandre

It didn't explicitly say that, it just implied that. The Russian accents were a part of it as well

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

Ashleg

Interesting.
I only watched one episode of the show and it didn't even have shrews so I wouldn't know.

Gonff the Mousethief

Quote from: alexandre on January 09, 2017, 04:59:56 AM
It didn't explicitly say that, it just implied that. The Russian accents were a part of it as well

Wait, what? Really? I really didn't connect Log-A-Log and Stalin like that...

I really liked the Gousim at first. They were a cool part of Mossflower Wood which I enjoyed. It seemed every Log-A-Log was different and each group was fresh. Until the later books though. At that point, they just felt like an over used plot device to help the travelers. I really wished Brian could have spread them out more or given them a whole book rather than shoehorning them in all the time. A real shame. But I still enjoy them either way. They did have some killer rowing songs.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Ashleg

Which book was it that has the evil Log-a-Log? That will be a change.

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

alexandre

evil he may have been, but that song about him is so awesome...

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

Ashleg

If only I could understand them better.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on January 09, 2017, 05:24:46 AM
Quote from: alexandre on January 09, 2017, 04:59:56 AM

Wait, what? Really? I really didn't connect Log-A-Log and Stalin like that...
Well, maybe not the ideals, but before they would do anything, they all had to agree on a course of action.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

MeadowR

I like the Guoism! How they dress is fun and interesting, and shrews are pretty darn cute. :P They were a good addition in the books, yet I agree with Gonff that they could, at times, seem just a convenience to get a character from A to B, or provide an extra number for an army, rather than being a bit more fleshed out characters in the books. Perhaps there could have been a book which focused more on the Guosim side of things, and then, of course, linking it with Redwall Abbey and whichever problem is afoot.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014