News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Martin's death

Started by GeminyaTome, July 30, 2011, 04:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeminyaTome

Did Brian EVER say exactly how Martin died? I know that Martin died outside of Redwall, but is it still a mystery?
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

Galedeep

I tend to believe that Martin died of old age. But did Brian say so? I don't think he ever did. I think it was meant to be a mystery.

Gonff

No, it says that Martin hung up his sword and became a peaceful creature, but it never says how he died. I tend to think that after the Legend of Luke he went back to Redwall and lived there peacefully until his death.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Lutra

Those who die of old age tend to go without any explanation.  If you were killed by a horde, or vermin, it tends to get mentioned, so I suspect Martin was one that died of old age.  (It also wouldn't seem right for Martin to be killed by vermin when he's so good at defeating them.)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Osu

I do believe this has been discussed at length elsewhere, give me just a tick and I'll track down the topic for y'all.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Captain Tammo

He must've died peacefully because it never says anything about another invasion on redwall after he hung up his sword. So he must've died of age and they built a tomb for him
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Dotti

Quote from: GeminyaTome on July 30, 2011, 04:33:02 AM
Did Brian EVER say exactly how Martin died? I know that Martin died outside of Redwall, but is it still a mystery?

Did he died outside of Redwall???  I don't remember which book it said that in.... :-\
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Osu

Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Tiria Wildlough

I think he died of old age.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Dannflor

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Folgrimeo

Martin's already been through a lot, so a normal death with friends around him would be the best way to go. Maybe at the Abbey, maybe while out adventuring, who knows.

However, it disturbed me that he never really talked about his past to other creatures. When Trimp casually brought up Martin's father, he just went into profound depression mode without Trimp having any clue that would set him off. I'd think at some point Gonff would have brought up whether Martin had a girlfriend. And if not, if he had to keep that bottled up for the rest of his life... well, what does he think about future generations yakking about it like it's the weather? Redwall was eventually told about it, and then presumably it got passed down in future generations. Ancient history, everyone knows it by now. You'd think Martin's ghost would have told some future champion "I deliberately said I don't want anyone else knowing what happened to me. But your ancestors just HAD to spoil it, didn't they? Great going, now I can't rest peacefully. I mean, not that I can now when everyone keeps asking me for advice. Can't a spirit get some sleep!?"

Coobreedan

If he was killed Methusalah would of had some record of it. He died in peace, I'm sure.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Plugg Firetail

Also in the book Redwall they found Martin's tomb. If Martin died in battle I think the enemies would have burned him or something. Being the head of Redwall's army and whatnot.

Taggerung The Otter

he had his own special grave so...
For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Gears

Martin Did die of old age, it has some very vague references to it.
Yeah, I do stuff sometimes.