So, posting thru a Proxy... is it safe or not?

Started by Luftwaffles, March 22, 2015, 05:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luftwaffles

Ok so, I don't know exactly how it happened but this website refuses to load normally for me. It won't load on my gaming computer, on my working computer nor on my other computer... it won't load thru my normal ADSL connection nor thru my WIFI connection either. I don't know why, but the site is dead for me.

Now, I have been using a Proxy to access the forums but -even when some people had told me that it is perfectly safe to use those- I feel quite uncomfortable with the whole idea. I mean, the person who recommended me the forum in the first place uses the thing to log-in due to the same problem I'm having, but that doesn't really tell me anything... he could just have been lucky.

I'm quite ignorant to technology, so I don't exactly know if my fears are founded or not, but I have spent enough time here to actually care about my account and my fellow members... and it would really stink to find out that I have been putting that on risk.

That's all, thanks in advance :)
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Matthias720

Connecting via proxy is only an issue if you are trying to circumvent forum rules and staff decisions. If you are simply doing it to connect, then there is no problem. However, you can feel free to PM me for help figuring out why you cannot connect in the first place. :)

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Matthias720 on March 22, 2015, 02:26:10 PM
Connecting via proxy is only an issue if you are trying to circumvent forum rules and staff decisions. If you are simply doing it to connect, then there is no problem. However, you can feel free to PM me for help figuring out why you cannot connect in the first place. :)

Well, that's a relief. Thank you :)

I will PM you now :)

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Jukka the Sling

I've been having the same problem! I was only able to get on here via a Kindle Fire (which sometimes suffered from the same problem, and now won't connect at all), so now I have to use an IP shield thing with the main computer if I want to get on. :-\
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Luftwaffles

Ok, I don't know why, but this thing is working normally for me again.

I won't get rid of the Proxy just yet, I have more than founded reasons to believe that this is only temporary... but what a relief. There's a huge difference in load times in between these two connections.

Jukka the Sling

Yeah, it started working for me again last night. Weird.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien