News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Salamandastron!

Started by Trigoma, June 24, 2011, 05:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dotti

I wish they would have kept the echoing chamber!  And didn't Boar have the equivalent of a sauna in his chambers? Was Salamandastron ever beseiged after Salamandastron?  I don't believe so, but even so, you'd think they would have mentioned the spring that Arula excavated in later books. :/
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Osu

There was some sort of bathing chamber with naturally warm water - or warm from the forge, I believe - mentioned in Mossflower, but not in Boar's chambers, specifically. I'm sure it's still there and in use, or something like it. Hey, the hares have to bathe, and the sea probably isn't the best place to do that... ;)
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

martins#1fan

Quote from: James Gryphon on June 24, 2011, 12:30:54 PM
They do, but unlike Redwall (which has no notable treasure whatsoever, besides the tapestry and the Sword), we find out that that that rumor is actually true, at the end of Salamandastron. The Badger Lords store, in addition to a vast armory (which would be extremely valuable as it is), a lot of other precious treasures, in their secret rooms, so Ferahgo (and all of the other, lesser warlords over the seasons) weren't wrong to believe that Salamandastron was worth taking.

They just maybe underestimated how easy it would be to get it.
No, Redwall has another treasure! FOOD!!!!!!  ;D ;D
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

brocka

Possibly the echo chamber is used to scare away would-be attackers by making them think the mountain is inhabited by spooky spirits. You know how terribly superstitious vermin are, with their seers and such.

Log-a-Log

I love the echoing chamber. I think its a neat idea, and I wished it would of showed up in the later books
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: brocka on September 20, 2011, 10:25:05 PM
Possibly the echo chamber is used to scare away would-be attackers by making them think the mountain is inhabited by spooky spirits. You know how terribly superstitious vermin are, with their seers and such.
You are right. It's a pity that the echoing chamber wasn't mentioned very much. :(
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

Remember that giant stone dragon head that Boar always used to scare away the vermin from the mountain? That thing was awesome! He would set it on the windowsill, light a fire in it's mouth, and it looked exactly like a real dragon! I wonder what happened to it? ???
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Log-a-Log

There have been a few villains that have made it into Redwall, but the only two that I can think of that made it in Salamndastron were Ungatt Trunn and Ferhago.
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Coobreedan

Quote from: Nightfire on September 21, 2011, 04:51:41 PM
Remember that giant stone dragon head that Boar always used to scare away the vermin from the mountain? That thing was awesome! He would set it on the windowsill, light a fire in it's mouth, and it looked exactly like a real dragon! I wonder what happened to it? ???

That was epic!
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Nightfire

Seriously, though. I wonder why no other badger lord except Boar ever used it, or even mentioned it.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Dotti

Even though Salamandastron is a mysterious place, it's not so shrouded in mystery in any following book as it is in Mossflower. Probably the chamber is like the horse in Redwall--Brian just hadn't completed his style yet, so there are a few things that don't make  lot of sense in the context of the later books. (Especially the creatures drinking milk in Redwall.  Although they do have cheese throughout all the books  :-\)
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Nightfire

Actually, I think they make a type of 'milk substitute.'

Plugg Firetail

The reason the echoing chamber isn't in any other book because in almost every other book there was more than 10 hares.In most books the long patrol had 1,000 hares or so.There was no need for a echoing chamber in those cases.

Nightfire

Actually, I think they used 'Greensap Milk,' which I guess they got from milkweed or some kind of plant.

Log-a-Log

Yeah, I always wondered what Greensap milk was