News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on July 26, 2017, 02:15:44 AM
I was just reading my state's road test driver's license requirements, and I'm rather terrified.  I won't be doing this for a few more months yet, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to remember all the test rules while driving with a stranger and just having all this stress hanging over me.

Any advice?
Practice, really.
A lot of stuff is just rules that you will find become second nature when you start driving. That's why it is important to both practice with a long-time driver as well as booklearning.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

There is no terror like that of running out of toilet paper in public bathroom when you're the only one in the bathroom.

Trust me on this.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Cornflower MM

@Jukka: You can always take the test more than once, too. Don't freak out too badly, it'll make things worse.

@Maudie: Oh goodness. O.O

The Skarzs

Not as bad as running out of fuel on a long drive through Montana.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Not as bad as driving all the way through Nebraska on your fourth day of having a permit. ;D

(Yours is worse. ;D)
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Banya

Quote from: The Skarzs on July 26, 2017, 05:07:06 AM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on July 26, 2017, 02:15:44 AM
I was just reading my state's road test driver's license requirements, and I'm rather terrified.  I won't be doing this for a few more months yet, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to remember all the test rules while driving with a stranger and just having all this stress hanging over me.

Any advice?
Practice, really.
A lot of stuff is just rules that you will find become second nature when you start driving. That's why it is important to both practice with a long-time driver as well as booklearning.

I agree with Skarzs. As you drive more, you'll become more comfortable with looking around at signs and traffic (rather than the road directly in front of you), be able to understand the signs and signals and actions of other drivers, and use that information to be able to make split-second decisions without disrupting the flow of traffic. They don't really throw unnecessary information at you in driving tests; you do need to know the meaning of everything on the road, even though many signs and signals are pretty rare to come across (state park signs, red traffic light arrows, etc.) It sounds like you have a lot of time to practice with your parents or other experienced drivers, though since you don't have a permit you likely won't practice on busy public roads, right? As you practice driving, move your head a lot when you look around. Driving examiners like to see exaggerated head movement to make sure you are looking at everything before you make a move. I'd also recommend when driving alone on backroads, pretend there are things there that aren't, like yield signs and flashing yellow arrows, a cop who's pulled someone over, pretend other drivers are honking at you and remain calm, etc., to get a feel for the pressure of processing that info quickly and correctly. Ride in the passenger seat on expressways and read the signs and mile markers. And even after the test, you'll still see yourself become a better driver than you were when you passed. And if you fail, they will provide you with explicit info on what you failed, so you know what you have down well and what needs work. I think you'll be all right. :)

TL;DR what Skarzs said

Jukka the Sling

Thanks, guys. :)  The guidebook seemed overwhelming, but I guess it really can just be boiled down to basic rules and common sense.  Okay, I don't feel quite so concerned now. XD
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Quote from: Delthion on July 26, 2017, 08:36:36 PM
Not as bad as driving all the way through Nebraska on your fourth day of having a permit. ;D

(Yours is worse. ;D)
Lol. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

pro tip: hydrogen peroxide tastes like nightmares and off-key violin music
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

I once drank some accidentally while trying to wash away the taste of this horrible "strawberry"-flavored antibiotic I had to take.  ...The results weren't pretty.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

I don't know which one is worse. . . Hydrogen peroxide or milk of magnesia.
The peroxide made milk curdle in my mouth, and the magnesia made a thick coating on the inside of my mouth.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

Guuueeeessss who's a blaaaaaack beeeeelt...

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg