News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Add and Divide

Started by Ashleg, November 22, 2017, 06:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

The storm battered hard against the ancient stones of Loamhedge Abbey--or, more appropriately, of what had become of it.
Inside, on the second floor, in what could only be said to be the most in-tact and clean room of the structure, sat a hunched figure over his desk, shaking paw clamped in a fist around a scrunched piece of parchment.

His scouts had returned today with a map--a map leading to Redwall, a fortress greater than his own.
Grimacing, the elderly polecat stood up, white silken robes moving soundlessly with him.

"Redwall," he murmured. The word slid like honey over his tongue. He remembered many years ago travelling near there, and his dark eyes glistened. "Me, Abbot Orzmul of Redwall."
He rushed towards the door. "Vincor! Send for Meadow. Tell her that the Abbot needs to speak with her immediately."

@321tumbler @The Skarzs

The Skarzs

Vincor, who had been standing outside the door, nodded and hurried away to retrieve the mouse.
  He found his way to her room, and knocked once on the door. "Meadow. Come, the Abbot wants you."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

321tumbler

Meadow was sitting on her bed, thinking about nothing in particular, when she heard the knock on the door and Vincor telling her to go to the Abbot. She jumped up in shock. "Why does he want me? He's never asked for me before. Oh, I hope I'm not in trouble." she thought. Quickly, she went to the door and opened it. Nodding at Vincor, she replied, "Yes, sir. I'll go." and followed him to the Abbot's quarters.

The Skarzs

Vincor knocked on the abbot's door, then opened it, knowing he would be waiting.
  "Meadow is here," said the ferret. "Do you want me to leave?"
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

"Hm," rasped the polecat, still clutching the crumpled paper in his claws. "...Yes. Off with you."
As Vincor stalked off, Orzmul's dark eyes found Meadow and lingered on her, narrow and menacing. The fur around his neck bristled.
Without another sound, he whirled around and strode into his room and beckoned to her with his claw, taking a seat on his chair again.

321tumbler

Warily, Meadow stepped towards the abbot. She felt his eyes on her, piercing her mind and jumbling her thoughts. With a feeble attempt to control her shaking, she was able to stammer, "Y-y-you wanted to speak to me?"

Ashleg

"Meadow..." he crooned, emotionless. "You are the only Woodlander in the Abbey. Do you know how special that makes you?"

Orzmul, while still nimble, had a knack for making himself appear small and withered with age. It worked especially to deceive creatures that did not know him well. Switching almost randomly from large and intimidating to the frail old creature he looked, the polecat motioned to another chair.
"Take a seat, Girl," he said.

321tumbler

Meadow sat down in the seat, clenching the armrest in an attempt to calm her nerves. "I, I guess I've never really looked at it as making me special, Father. To be honest, I've always felt separated from everyone else because I'm a Woodlander." she revealed.

She abruptly stopped talking, realizing that she was probably being too open with the abbot. Her face turned red and she looked down at her lap. It was so easy to feel comfortable with the weak old man he now seemed to be.

Ashleg

"That is a shame," murmured Orzmul manipulatively, black tail flicking slowly from side to side. "Did Vincor make you uncomfortable coming up here? Why, what kind of question is that? I am positive he did."

He scrutinized the mousemaid with his cold eyes, the only part of him save for his voice which in the moment screamed that he was not only a defenseless creature. "You must feel so alone here," the polecat continued, pokerfaced, light bouncing off of his jewelry. "If only..."

321tumbler

How the abbot seemed to know how she felt was unknown to her, but she felt less intimidated the longer they talked. With this new familiarity she felt, she was comfortable enough to boldly ask, "If only what, Father?"

Ashleg

"Nothing, my sweet," Orzmul mused, grabbing her white paw in his black one. With his free limb, he shoved the map under the table. "I just do not want anybeast feeling lonely, is all. Have you any friends?"

Meadow shook her head.

"No? What a shame...an absolute shame..."

321tumbler

When Orzmul grabbed Meadow's paw, she flinched back slightly. Meadow did not like to be touched. It was not something she was used to.

Although she was not as afraid of him as when Vincor had told he the abbot wanted to speak to her, she was unsure of why he was being so kind to her. She had never done anything particularly outstanding.

"It's quite alright, Father. I've gotten used to it." she said with a strained smile.

Ashleg

"Is it? You don't look 'quite alright'." the Abbot drew his paws in. "You know, Child, it does not have to be this way. It is about time I took an apprentice."

321tumbler

"A-an apprentice?" Meadow choked out after a long moment of silence, "I'm very honored that you thought of me, but I really don't know if I would be able to take on such a responsibility."

Ashleg

Thoughts of Redwall and an ever-extending empire blurred the polecat's vision.
He laughed gleefully.
"You see? This is why I shall take you under my wing, Young Meadow!"