Salamandastron!

Started by Trigoma, June 24, 2011, 05:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT Sandpaw

Ya sure,
I don't see Salamandastron so much as a dictatorship but more like a tiny warlike kingdom. In the case of an attack all fighters will most definitely be called to aid the fight because they are Oath bound to serve the badger lord and protect the western shores.
I'm sure they won't send babes to fight or elderly creatures and if they don't want to fight why would they be at Salamandastron. Isn't the entire point of the place to be a fortress, it's not Redwall a place of peace but a place of war.
What I think is hares being raised in the mountain itself would be influenced by all the other more warlike compatriots and become like them. Peer pressure if you will.
Of course Salamandastron is large, it's a mountain I bet it takes like half an hour to get to the top.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Søren

As far the notion of babes being obligated to fight, I think it would be a similar system that the Jedi used. Just with home-grown kids and not force sensitive ones.
Like, there is a group of young hares who are at Salamandastron, most will fight when the time comes, but there is always the (rare) option of leaving the Long Patrol.

I'm retired from the forum

Captain Tammo

Hm... This sort of reminds me of learning about the Greek City States in 9th grade; Sparta and Athens in particular and I think there are some pretty cool similarities that we can draw between the two.

Sparta is like Salamandastron. It is a warlike, isolated kingdom with a single ruler and very warlike in nature and reputation. Sparta was surrounded by mountains on a lot of fronts since Greece is just a mountainous area, and so is Salamandastron to the East.

Athens is like Redwall. It is a far more passive place that has a small fighting force, but pursues areas of education and medicine more than war. In addition, Athens was also surrounded by a huge set of walls that would always protect it from invaders (even the Spartans at one point!), and the Athenians were known to simply wait out sieges much like the Redwallers did.

I'm not saying that the two were based off of Athens and Sparta, but it's a fun coincidence!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

Actually, Sparta was ruled by two kings, not one. ;)
Yes, that is an interesting coincidence.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: The Skarzs on November 22, 2014, 05:29:00 PM
Actually, Sparta was ruled by two kings, not one. ;)
Yes, that is an interesting coincidence.

Huh... d'aw well, you get the idea!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Hickory

Granted, most volcanoes have a naturally carved inside, but the hares must have carved some out. I believe the books mentioned Salamandastron was carved out. Assuming the first occupants carved it, we can say that the number of Stonepaw's hares were probably 120-150 so that's a considerable workforce. I assume that the forge may be heated from fire and underground magma, it's a possibility.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

nuncle Gabe

I love Badger Lords for the bloodwrath, But there was a bloodwrath mole, Axtel Sternclaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lady Ashenwyte

Axtel didn't have Bloodwrath.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

The Skarzs

Yes he did, actually. Said so in the book. *Holds up book.*
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lady Ashenwyte

Really? I have to check the wiki. I didn't read the Sable Quean.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Hickory

Heh. Anyway, Salamandastron was most likely an extinct volcano. Hares migrated from the North, looking for better options, and found the mountain. Using metal tools, the could easily carve out the inside. Even better, it has been displayed that the world of Redwall understands simple machines (ballistas) and can use them. Think, a screw as a drill! Chisels and other handheld tools helped make castles! It would be pretty easy, with a sizable work force.

Lady Ashenwyte

What if the magma chamber was empty and all the hares (and the Badger) did was make extra rooms and a staircase.

Lady Ashenwyte

REVIVE!!!

Off topic, but I just finished Salamandastron and what was the size of Ferahgo's horde?

Hickory

Around 4,000? He said he outnumbered the hares by "fivescore to one".

The Skarzs

A hundred to one? Hmm. . . I'm in the middle of re-reading the book at the moment, so I'll see if I can notice anything.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.