News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Are Ben and Ned immortal?

Started by Lutra, February 08, 2012, 01:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutra

This is something I thought of listening to the Angel's Command....are Ben and Ned immortal?  Its true that they don't age, but Mr. Jacques writes this as if they needed to eat and drink as often as a mortal being to survive.  I would have thought they were immortal, but there's certainly conflicting evidence to suggest they can die by means other than old age.

Thoughts?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

White One6193

They're immortal in the sense that theylive eternally and cannot age . However, they are mortal in the sense that if they don't feed themselves, or a are shot, stabbed or thrown off a cliff, they could be killed.
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Icefire

That was a confusing topic for me to. I ended up coming to the conclusion that their life span is unlimited as long as they take care of themselves as far as food, water, poison and wounds go. Did that make sense? I don't usually make sense this late.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

redwallgurl

it does make sense thats what it hought and one last problem that i thought of is when ned fell of the cliff at the end of the third book why didnt he die was it a way he landed
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Mad Maudie

well i think that it might have been that he landed on one of them or cause he is a dog and for some reason the fall did not impact him very much but yeah i have wondered why he did not die ??? ???
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

Lutra

Talk about gray areas in the book. ;)  There's no real consistency on which things should kill Ben/Ned, and do not.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Mad Maudie

true and i guess Brian J. would of had to live forever to finish the series  :'( :'(
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

eualaia

wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

Castaway5

Ned got lucky when it came to the fall.  If it was impossible for them to die, then Ben and Ned wouldn't have to worry about being shot at in books 2 and 3.  Of course people would wonder why they weren't dying from blood loss, but its not really as big a deal since Ben and Ned never hang around long enough anyway.

Remember in Voyage of Slaves, Ben and Ned were severely dehydrated and hungry in the beginning, and if Ben hadn't been kidnapped they probably would have died.

Also at the end of Voyage of Slaves, Ben nearly died at the end.

The pair of them are lucky and certainly has Heaven looking out for them, but that's not the same as being immortal, but rather Eternal.

Captain Tammo

They aren't invisible, they just don't age. Other than that, they're as mortal as you and me
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

gorath

I personally think that they are immortal, though some may disagree
My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

Bragoon

I think Castaways explained it pretty well.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

gorath

My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

MatthiasMan

Shadowed One

I think they cannot die. However, when a villain is going to hurt them, their friends are around, around so they don't do something that could have bad results. They can feel pain probably, but I don't think it would kill them.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc