"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Redwall

Started by Captain Tammo, June 29, 2011, 05:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattio

Quote from: Osu on July 01, 2011, 08:22:25 PM
Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on July 01, 2011, 06:13:07 AM
Did you know that Redwall Abbey was built over Castle Kotir? It's in The Long Patrol.
Yes, now you mention it - was there a ditch mentioned in Mossflower? That might explain it. Perhaps it was a moat of sorts for the old castle, or... or something?
I think it was the old lake that Martin and co. Filled up again then when it went down they built the abbey ao I wonder if it was the edges of the lake that the abbey didn't cover up

Free Thought

There was no ditch mentioned in Mossflower, but they would have had to drain the water from Kotir's ruins/lake somehow.  My take on it is that the ditch originated from drainage lines Dinny and the moles would have dug to move the water. 

And as far as the Abbey pond is concerned, it would have been one of the low points that never drained properly (must likely where the flood holes were placed), and so volia! a pond that is river fed.

Those are just my takes on it though...

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Mattio on January 27, 2013, 08:24:47 PM
I think it was the old lake that Martin and co. Filled up again then when it went down they built the abbey ao I wonder if it was the edges of the lake that the abbey didn't cover up

That couldn't be it. Because then the ditch would circle the abbey
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Captain Tammo on February 04, 2013, 10:08:30 PM
Quote from: Mattio on January 27, 2013, 08:24:47 PM

I think he just added it for the book.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

321tumbler

[/quote]
Doesn't the ditch line the path?

Captain Tammo

I THINK I'VE GOT IT!!!! And please forgive me if one of you has already mentioned this theory...

Note how whenever Brian says it rains, he almost always says the ditch fills up with water. Here is my theory, the ditch was purposefully put in by the creatures building Redwall to catch water from sitting right on the path. This means the path would have to have been made with a slant, which Brian never mentions if it was (as far as I know). But it would certainly explain a lot! Brian said that beyond the ditch was flatlands. And we can imagine that Redwall was also built on flat land. Putting a ditch in between there would give the water someplace to go so its not just sitting there.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Leatho Shellhound

Could be, also it could be a defence, like motes at castles.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Kitsune

The last few posts make sence.

Captain Tammo

So which is it? Sould I make a pole?

Shadowed One

It seems like it doesn't serve any practical purpose. I think Brian added it just so vermin hordes could hide in it. I mean, whenever vermin attack Redwall, they always hide in the ditch.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Romsca

Maybe some vermin dug it early on to hide in and the Redwallers never filled it back in

Shadowed One

Quote from: Romsca on April 09, 2013, 09:55:44 PM
Maybe some vermin dug it early on to hide in and the Redwallers never filled it back in

Maybe! But it would have to be before Mariel of Redwall, because the ditch was there then.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

Kitsune

Ungatt Trunn

I think that the dich was just there naturly. It didn'y have to be creature-created.....

Life is too short to rush through it.

Shadowed One

But if it wasn't there in "Mossflower". So it would have to have been made naturally right before "Legend of Luke", because I think it was there then.