News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Castle Forlet !?!?!

Started by rachel25, March 17, 2013, 05:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rachel25

OK thoughts on Castle Forlet

• How long has it been there
  • Who built it

• who was the ruler before the ruler in bellmaker
    • and who rules it now ???????????
cation this topic may contan Bellmaker spoilers
Spoiler
;)
[close]

Tam and Martin

I think that a picture of Cregga Roe Eyes

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Captain Tammo

Yeah she used a pike. But I loved castle floret, it was the classic medieval castle we wanted! Don't know much about it though :-\
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Free Thought

Quote from: rachel25 on March 17, 2013, 05:17:07 PM

• Who built it

Spoiler
;)

That sounds like a FanFic to me!!!! haahaa but didn't the royal squirrels build Floret? Sorry, The Bellmaker was boring so I may not have paid that much attention to the little details...
[close]

rachel25

Quote from: Free Thought on March 19, 2013, 08:05:31 PM
Quote from: rachel25 on March 17, 2013, 05:17:07 PM

• Who built it

Spoiler
;)

That sounds like a FanFic to me!!!! haahaa but didn't the royal squirrels build Floret? Sorry, The Bellmaker was boring so I may not have paid that much attention to the little details...
[close]
I LOVEDBellmaker it's one of my favorites  ;D  >:(  8)  :o

The Skarzs

Revive.

This is not really going with what the topic was originally for, but I don't like duplicating topics.
  What I would like to put up for consideration is: Were Kotir and Castle Floret built by similar peoples at near the same time? There is evidence to suggest that they were.

In Mossflower Kotir is referred to as a fortress; that would point to the fact that it was built at a time when defense was necessary. Caste Floret is also very defense-based, being built with very high walls atop a hill surrounded by a moat. (Note that Redwall is not so war-based, so the time period was not such a barbaric one.)
  So they are both meant for war: big deal; most castles and sort were intended to repel attacks, no matter the overall build. Besides, Kotir was old and run down. That is true, but while Kotir was old, so is Floret. I think that creatures moved up north from the south, making Southsward an older land with more time to adjust and make a stable government. They also stayed there longer so they were able to maintain the castle. If settlers from the southern lands moved north, they would make a place where they could be safe and protect themselves from the unknown land; that is where Kotir would come in. When the inhabitants were more comfortable with the new surroundings, they left the fort to decay as there was little need for it anymore, especially when the badgers stopped living in Brockhall and took up their residence in Salamandastron. Then Verduga came, and the rest is history.

Your thoughts?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Izeroth

Interesting, but I think Kotir would be better known if it had originally belonged to the woodlanders. None of the woodlanders seem to really know Kotir's origins, and it appears they thought of it as "that old ruin in the woods" and nothing more before Verdauga came. If it was their fortress, wouldn't they have at least bothered to keep it in some preserved state?

LT Sandpaw

I have to point out that Southsward wasn't really a kingdom, Castle Floret was really the entire expanse for territory that the Squirrel King Controlled, although the other creatures in Southsward recognized the squirrel as a king but they didn't seem to think he was their king.
I might be wrong its been a while since I read Bellmaker.

I always though Floret was built long ago by the woodlander or vermin during a time of need such as a war. Then left and abandoned like Kotir. The squirrel king then came about much like the petty king in Rakkaty Tam where they basically declared themselves king and ruler of the tree grove or in this case Floret.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

The Skarzs

Quote from: Izeroth on April 01, 2015, 12:19:31 AM
Interesting, but I think Kotir would be better known if it had originally belonged to the woodlanders. None of the woodlanders seem to really know Kotir's origins, and it appears they thought of it as "that old ruin in the woods" and nothing more before Verdauga came. If it was their fortress, wouldn't they have at least bothered to keep it in some preserved state?
There was a gradual degradation of the way "woodlanders" treated "vermin", as seen in Mossflower when Martin wanted to help the dead searat and even in Redwall and Mattimeo when they let vermin into the abbey, albeit temporarily. So, perhaps it was a time when the two groups worked in more of a togetherness, thus making them not feel it was theirs entirely. Besides, history can become legend.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

If you read Redwall, when there's a council of war right after the sighting of cluny, Matthias or somebody says that they're rats and that the Abbey should be defended. Most of the others are horrified and have a lot of things to say for rats, so I think Brian Jacques had, at the time, temporarily grouped the different species to different siddes.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Skarzs

Yeah. . . I'm curious if there was ever a time where the two groups were in less disagreement.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Kitsune

Maybe in the distant past, the squirrels and the wildcats were in conflict. The squirrels may have allies with the badgers, or maybe it was before the times of the badger and wildcat conflicts.

Stonestripe

I think it would be creature based. If you think about it all the vermin strongholds were built for defence against large attacks, the badgers had hideaway homes build for defence but also for legend, The otters Holt are complete concealment, hares (outside Salamanstron) built wood forts, Mice built Abbey's like Loamhedge and Redwall. So Forlet was probably built by vermin and later taken by the slaves that built it (like in most of the books). A good example is Martin the Warrior the slaves were building a stone fort when the war with Clogg started. Only examples that throw the idea off are like Noonvale which housed all kinds of creatures and was a town hidden in a forest with no defences.
"Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords"

rrrrr

Not all vermin build forts (Althier in Sable Quean was a camp)

But maybe, yes it was slave built.  :-X
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Izeroth

Am I the only one who notices that the title is misspelled?