News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Rainshadow's Art

Started by Rainshadow, March 24, 2013, 03:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainshadow

I actually do have a sort of method for drawing figures (although it could use much improvement):

(Not sure how well it can be seen, as both drawings are shaded (pretty terribly :P), but basically the head is a circle with a curvy triangle thing for the jaw (and a plus in the middle for the face), the neck and spine are a line, the collarbone/shoulder-width is a line, shoulders are circles, and then the arms and legs are ovals, and the hips are a sort of ellipse-shape (I'd say oval but they're not terribly round, and ellipse sounds fancier).  Then the feet and hands are triangles.  And I used to add two ovals for the rib cage, but for some reason I stopped doing it.  I should probably do that again, as it was really helpful and I don't really know why I stopped.  :P  Also, I used to use a sort of hourglass shape for the torso of women.  I sometimes do still, but it really depends on the angle.  I'll bet if I started doing that again, the women would have a big more of a figure.)

As for Leslie having a big of a figure, that's the thing about her.  She literally has no figure.  There are women who look like that (I know people who are built that way, with little to no curves (that sounds grammatically incorrect, but whatever)), and that's what I based Leslie off of.  Still, I suppose when drawing her I should add a bit of something to make her look like a girl, just so I don't confuse people.  It used to be the eyes, but since I've changed styles on the eyes, there's very little distinction between male and female.  :P  (Not that there really was before, but at least back then I tried.)

Thank you for the tips, though!  I'll most likely put them to use in future drawings.  And also, yay!  Glad you think she looks awesome, if not very correct in form.  :P  (As I said before, please ignore my numerous mistakes, as this was me digitally colouring a doodle.  Oh yeah, I probably should've started with that...  I originally was just gonna post the original drawing as part of a sketch dump, but decided instead to clean it up and colour it.  :P)

(I used the tongue emoji way too many times in this post...)
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Rainshadow

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on October 15, 2015, 12:22:59 PM
Those are more fuller.

Well, at least the dwarf is.  :P  That was when I decided to ruin Skarzsy's day and draw a freakishly thin me to disturb him, but I felt bad after I finished drawing it so I drew him a slightly proportionately-accurate dwarf.  ;D

In other news, I've finally convinced myself that I should start working on making the bodies look different for each race.  What I mean by that is I'm planning to make elf-kind (aside from foli) look about like how I draw right now (tall and thin), whereas I'll try to make humans a bit shorter and sturdier.  Foli will sort of be a mix of the two (thinner and taller than humans, but shorter and fuller than elves), and dwarves will look about the same as the drawing I just posted.  Not sure how it's gonna work for shifters, as they're tall and muscular and I haven't figured out that combination yet, but I'll get it eventually.

So, yeah, project for the next time I start doodling.  Work out the kinks in my new plan.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

MatthiasMan

Rainy:

Your art skill is really great and you clearly have a style of your own, but the only thing that your drawings lack is some gesture (flow, rhythm, movement, dynamism, that thing).  I think the best example of this is the first drawing in your last post with the girl with her hands on her head. Compared to your other drawings where the characters are usually just standing in place, this one stands out to me the most because it's more dynamic. If you wanted to, you could stretch it even more. Exaggerating pose just makes it more appealing (although, certain photos won't have exaggerated pose, depending on what feeling the artists wants to give to the viewer).  

I seem to be recommending this video to people a lot lately, and I think I have for you to already, but here's the link anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ7Y

With all that being said, you've come a long way from where you started.
I'm really looking forward to all the art you put forth in the future! ;)

Skyblade

Hey, Rain! I hope you don't mind if I use the Oblivion icon as an avatar for another forum. Since people over there don't know who "Rainshadow" is, I honestly feel like giving credit to you would be a bit useless. But if you want me to reference you, it's no problem (there's room in my signature! ;)).

Just wanted to let you know, since you're the one who drew the (great) picture. Thankee!

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Rainshadow on October 02, 2015, 11:51:22 PM
 And I realized that Leatgo drew a Rainhound picture awhile back (him standing in the rain), yet I never drew one in response (technically I did (me standing on the edge of the ocean (that counts as Rainhound, right?  :P)), but it looked terrible so I never uploaded it), so I drew two instead of just one:

A selfie (in which Leatgo's eyes look really creepy for some reason :P):

And a chibi because why not:

Wow that is truely swell! My hair cut is spot on too! Can't believe I hadn't seen them till now...

And your new one is excellent, looks like it came out of a comic book!
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Rainshadow

Even though my scanner isn't working, I managed to take pictures of some of my most recent drawings with my new phone (the camera kinda sucks, but hey, it's a camera) so I could show you guys my new markers.

So, first off, some pictures showing off the different Copic markers I have right now:

Here are the markers themselves (the case is built for the size of the ones in the middle, so the thinner markers tend to tip over :P):

These are the colours themselves on paper (if you guys ever want to request something in colour, these are the ones I have to work with currently, so please base your request on that):

Here's a drawing of myself I did on Christmas while the rest of my family was watching Inside Out (yeah, I changed my hairstyle recently, so my hair looks a bit different (and is much harder to draw :P)):

Oh, and since Dessie drew me an awesome Christmas present, I drew her character Itsuka to thank her:

Aaaand Shen because I love drawing my adorable mage boy (also because he was a character that I could draw with the limited amount of colours I have :P):

Oh, and around a year ago I made a shield loosely based off of a Gondorian shield from The Lord of the Rings, and since I now have a camera, I decided to finally show you guys it:

The front kinda reminds me more of a Skyrim shield than a LotR shield, but whatever.

The back is literally two planks of wood and then really thick duct tape to put your arm through so you can hold the shield.

And this is how it's supposed to look when your arm goes into it (gasp!  Rain's arm?!?!):

And then two more pictures of various things in my room because why not?  (This one is showing how similar my new clipboard (right) is to my clarinet case (left))

Aaaaand an ugly picture of my bass that had to be taken with the flash on because it was too dark in that corner of my room, thus making the image look kinda gross.  But who cares?  It's my bass guitar, along with half of my fan, a tiny bit of the amp, half of a LOTRO poster, and the corner of my Legend of Zelda poster.  :P

Yeaahhh... pictures...

Skyblade

Cool stuff, Rain! And well done on the art, too.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Banya

Your shield is awesome, and the drawing of yourself is really nice.  I've heard those Copic markers are great, and they look really good here.

Rainshadow

Thanks, you guys!  Heh, glad you liked the shield, Gonff and Banya.  ;D

ART.

Misc.
  First off, I decided I wanted to draw the handsome Vance and his adorable adopted daughter, Sunny, on Thursday, so I did.

Then I did a bunch of doodles of Silas (he goes by Si, but I'm calling him Silas so as to not confuse him with another OC of mine who also happens to be named Si), my new duel-wielding rogue Inquisitor.  He so pretty.

These are just a bunch of random doodles I did on Thursday, the top left one being a drawing of my band friend as he was telling a story (I'm a creep, I know), then a little bit of Leslie, and I tried to draw Labradorite (my gemsona) in the style of Steven Universe, buuuuut I kinda failed.  Also, Delvon, 'cause why not?  (Context for the bottom doodle:  Shifters are really bad at growing facial hair, and Delvon is the worst at it.  This fact really bugs him, 'cause he's just trying to grow a beard to impress Leslie, but no one notices it because it's nonexistent.  ;D  Also, old!Delvon has a ponytail.  Why?  Because reasons.)

Another drawing of Sunny and Vance also done on Thursday, 'cause I thought up this really cute idea of Sunny not knowing how to fish and Vance teaching her.  Then I realized after inking the lines that I only have one green (dark forest green) and one blue (navy blue), so I had to improvise.  Which is why the grass is ugly and the water reflects a cloudy sky.  ;)

Portraits of four random characters I wanted to colour.  Silas and Cass were especially fun to colour, 'cause Si's sunburned skin was so fun to shade and Cass... Iunno, he just looks really pretty.  Pretty boys are the best boys.  :3

Aaaand finally, I wanted to draw something sad tonight, so I drew eighteen-year-old Leslie lamenting those she's lost over the years.  I do like how this turned out, but I really need to get better colours for Leslie; that blue is too neon, and the red hair is too red (her's is orange, but I don't have orange).

[close]

Oh, and I'll probably try to update the masterpost tomorrow to add all the art I've posted on this forum and the Loamhedge forum since I last updated.  I'd do it tonight, but I have to get ready for bed soon, and I'm not willing to do that much work on my tablet.  :P

rachel25

Cool. I guess I'll move my request here from the other site then.

Name; Guy Le Arison

Gender; Male

Species; Otter

Age; 25

Eye colour; greeny hazel

Build; About average height, quite lean but with a lot of upper body strength so has some obvious muscle.

Fur colour; Quite dark, sort of browny black.

Clothing; black trousers with brown leather on the inside part of the leg. Black embossed leather belt and scabbard. Black leather, knee high boots. Black shirt with a jacket that is also kind of armour over the top. The jacket is made up of maroon fabric and brown leather. Leather and chainmail shoulder pads buckle onto it as well as a sleeveless leather jacket piece that goes over the top of the first layer and buckles down the side. Two red leather gauntlets tie onto the arms as well.

Weapons; Sword, two small daggers tucked into gauntlets and Elisabethan style pistol hooked onto belt.

Other; is quite moody but smirks a lot.

Rainshadow

Well, that may take me awhile.  :P  Also, just as a forewarning, it's been quite a while since I've drawn an otter, so there's a pretty good chance that it may not be my greatest drawing when I'm done.  :-\

Quick question:  What type of drawing were you wanting this to be?  Did you want a full-fledged shaded/coloured (though colour may not be the best as I only have one black, so it'd end up looking like a black blob :P) drawing, a sketched drawing (AKA a full-body drawing that's not inked or shaded cleanly, but is still fairly detailed), or a sketch dump?

Also, this is kinda more of a note for myself, but if I get enough time to spare today, I'm gonna remodel the masterpost.  I'll leave the drawing links be, but I'll be adding a bit of a template that I would appreciate if you guys would follow, and I'll also add a short description for what the different request types are and what they'd be most useful for.

In fact, just so I don't forget my descriptions for them, lemme just post my summary of what the different types of request would be best for (please bear in mind that this is my own opinion, and that you can request whatever you want (so long as it's within my ability to draw it) for whatever purpose (as long as you give credit if you post it outside of the forum)):

Full-fledged drawings:  Full-body, inked lines, filled in with either colour or shaded pencils.  Best for if you're giving an official description of a character (or if you just want some detailed fan art).
Headshots:  Character bust, inked lines, filled in with either colour or shaded pencils.  Best for profile pictures or facial reference.
Sketched drawings:  Sketched in pencil, slightly shaded, slightly detailed.  Best for personal reference or reference in an RP.
Sketch dump:  Various face/bust/body sketches in pencil (occasionally coloured if it suits me).  Best for personality reference.

Do with this information what you will, and please remember to state which of these (or tell what you want if you want something not listed above) you want your request to be.  I should probably also state that I can draw either normal or chibi, but for the time being, unless the background requested is simple, I won't be drawing backgrounds or scenery for requests.  Sorry, but I suck with backgrounds.  :-\

rachel25

It's alright, take as long as you like. Um, could you do him just as a sketched drawing please.

Rainshadow

Alrighty, I'll add that to my list!  (And hopefully I won't lose this one.  :P  I think I may have accidentally deleted the last one, which is definitely a problem...  (I put it as a note on my Kindle, but I think I may have accidentally deleted the note when I was doing some note-cleaning.  Whoops.  Dx ))