News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Libraries

Started by Redwaller, April 15, 2013, 08:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on April 23, 2013, 10:37:18 PM
A quick count of the local libraries near-ish me comes to six, not including any school or university libraries.  :)

Eidt: Make that seven - I forgot one.
I only have one library near me, unfortunautly :-\ Your really lucky, compaired to me!

Life is too short to rush through it.

Buzz_Bumble

I live in a big city and many of the suburbs have their own smallish libraries. So in the suburbs around where we live (previously the North Shore Council region) there are libraries at Albany, Browns Bay, Glenfield, Birkenhead, Northcote, Takapuna, and Devonport, with more in other suburbs further away ... of course, I haven't actually been inside one for MANY years, but my father does and borrows a pile of books every few weeks.  :)

Being school holiday time here now (a two week break between terms 1 and 2), the libraries will currently be running School Holiday Programmes with story readings, etc.

CrazyPug37

There are about three libraries that I go to often, each not too far from my house since I live on the border of 4 cities.
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

phoenixfoden

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on April 24, 2013, 10:33:00 PM
I live in a big city and many of the suburbs have their own smallish libraries. So in the suburbs around where we live (previously the North Shore Council region) there are libraries at Albany, Browns Bay, Glenfield, Birkenhead, Northcote, Takapuna, and Devonport, with more in other suburbs further away ... of course, I haven't actually been inside one for MANY years, but my father does and borrows a pile of books every few weeks.  :)

Being school holiday time here now (a two week break between terms 1 and 2), the libraries will currently be running School Holiday Programmes with story readings, etc.
i go to the panmure libary in auckland but it dosent have many redwall so i just buy them from second hand stores

Maudie

In the last place I lived there was a library that had two wings and each wing had two stories and a basement and there was another library almost as big in the nearest city, it was awesome! ;D :o

Unfortunately, the place where I live now has no library.  :'(
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Thomas Barkshield

My city is really big, and has a whole system of public library's with its own website. Its great!

Tam and Martin

Wow that is so neat!

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Rusvul

Apparently I'm really lucky to have such a great and big library.

Maudie

Actually, there is a library in my area! I just overlooked it because the card is like $70. But we got the card last night and now we can go to the library! Yay! And it is fairly large!
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Mask on April 27, 2013, 05:45:06 PM
Actually, there is a library in my area! I just overlooked it because the card is like $70. But we got the card last night and now we can go to the library! Yay! And it is fairly large!
YOU HAD TO PAY $70 FOR A CARD!!?? Over here at my Library, getting a membership plus a card is totaly free!

Life is too short to rush through it.

Tam and Martin

Ours were free also.....WHAT 70 DOLLARS!

Maudie

Actually, it might have been 80.

EDIT: OK, I just checked with my brother, it was $88!

Buzz_Bumble

Most people use the term "Library" to mean "Public Library", which is usually free or very cheap since it's paid for by public taxes, BUT there are also "Private Libraries" which you have to pay to be a member of.

Having said that, $88 could be quite cheap if it's only a one-off fee for a whole family.

There's a similar thing here in New Zealand. Over here the ambulance service is run by St John, which is a charity. Thanks to an idiotically hopeless Government >:(, people needing an ambulance are actually sent a bill afterwards to help recover some of the cost. Households can pay an annual membership fee, which gives them free ambulance service.

Leatho Shellhound

I don't remember paying anything for my Public Library card.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on April 27, 2013, 11:41:25 PM
Most people use the term "Library" to mean "Public Library", which is usually free or very cheap since it's paid for by public taxes, BUT there are also "Private Libraries" which you have to pay to be a member of.

Having said that, $88 could be quite cheap if it's only a one-off fee for a whole family.

There's a similar thing here in New Zealand. Over here the ambulance service is run by St John, which is a charity. Thanks to an idiotically hopeless Government >:(, people needing an ambulance are actually sent a bill afterwards to help recover some of the cost. Households can pay an annual membership fee, which gives them free ambulance service.
Ok Thanks for the information!