News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Mossflower Falls

Started by The Skarzs, January 11, 2014, 05:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hm

No option.
2 (66.7%)
No option.
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

The Skarzs

This is a story that I've been meaning to write forever (well, not really, only after I discovered this forum). This will introduce a new animal into the story unheard of in any of the books, and actual sizes have been altered to make this more, shall we say, even. I hope any who read will enjoy; any constructive criticism is appreciated.
I'm unsure of the way that other members enter their stories, so if this is not correct, I would greatly enjoy info on how to do it properly.

Tell other members about it if you liked it please. ;)

Also, if you enjoy this, please be sure to check out my other works:
http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=5786.0
http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=5834.0
http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=6272.0
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Osu

Hi Skarzs, welcome to the forum!

Regarding how to post fanfictions to the forum, you can do that however you wish; you can put up your story in this thread, or make a new thread specifically for your story, and if you want to keep a separate thread for commentary from readers, you may do that also. Whatever works best for your personal organization methods.

If you haven't already, please familiarize yourself with the forum rules prior to sharing your works. :)

Sounds like you've got some interesting twists in mind -- I'll keep an eye out for your fic when you post it!
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

The Skarzs

Thank you for the most cordial welcome. Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted all progress I made on the first chapter.  >:( But it will be posted soon, hopefully.
Also, I would like to ask for some help for names of bad creatures and good creatures alike from any who are feeling creative.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

-Yay, the chapter was found again!  :) No more deletions, I hope.
Also, this prologue has been added due to some things requiring clarification.

Prologue
   "Father Abbot, Father Abbot!"
   Abbot Nart turned around to face the distraught young mouse who had called out his name. He smiled good-naturedly, remembering the last time this same mouse, Cavaer, had come calling desperately to him; a Dibbun had fallen from an apple tree, and he had not known what to do but go to the abbot for help.
   "Yes, my son? Has a Dibbun found his way into a pudding, or tried to climb up the tapestry again?"
   But Cavaer's expression said otherwise. The young mouse pointed desperately at the walls; his paw shook noticeably. "There's a horde! A horde of vermin!"
   Nart clasped Cavaer on both shoulders. "A horde you say? Come, lad, tell me!"
   The mouse nodded his head sincerely. "If you don't believe me, go look for yourself! I've never seen such a huge number of vermin before, and. . . !" Nart heard several surprised cries from the battlements as many other abbey dwellers saw what had so disturbed Cavaer; word travelled fast.
   Suddenly, the Abbot remembered something. "Great seasons, Mother Retha is out there with some others gathering in the forest! They'll be killed!"
He rushed to the wall tops as some beast cried out, "Look! There below!" A horrible sight met Nart's eyes. A small group of creatures were desperately fighting their way through an ocean of vermin, hopelessly outnumbered and growing thinner. The abbot could do nothing but stare openmouthed at the terrible scene, stuck on one side of the wall. He snapped out of his daze, calling Cavaer to him.
"Cavaer, do you want to help your friends?" The mouse nodded with firm resolve. "Good; gather some creatures to help our friends inside! If we do nothing, they will surely perish!" The young mouse went off like a streak of light, running desperately and bringing a slowly gathering group down to the gates. It was a pitifully small group of brave creatures that stood boldly on the lawns, bearing any makeshift weapons they could use and waiting for the moment to try and save their dying companions.
The gates were opened, and quickly closed again as soon as they were out amidst sobs from families and friends still inside the abbey walls. Nart watched with fear as they plunged into the dark depths of the enemy, fighting beyond hope to get to the others. A roar was heard above the din, and Mother Retha, the Abbey badgermum, wounded in countless places and bleeding from her terrible wounds, charged through the vermin with the sad remainder of the little group running desperately behind her. As soon as the two small forces met, they made their way as quickly as they could back to the abbey.
Nart's heart was caught in his throat when the vermin surged forward, the Redwallers' onslaught having done nothing to their near-infinite numbers. The abbey dwellers were caught between the gates and the enemy, being slaughtered mercilessly as they slowly made their way backwards into the Abbey. Retha roared and fought on, and Nart knew what it was she was doing. The badger hit out right and left, giving the others a buffer so they could make it back safely; she was giving her life so they could live. The abbot dug his paws into the stones of his abbey, a tear of pain and sorrow dripping down his face as his lifelong friend was butchered before his eyes, taking down as many as she could with her.
The rest of the Redwallers had made it inside, and they were tended for by the infirmary keepers. Some cried silently for friends they had lost in battle, while others, like Cavaer, looked dazed and shocked from what they had seen and done while they were bandaged. Abbot Nart went to each of them, consoling them as best he could while trying to keep his own sorrow under control. When he got to Cavaer, the mouse had his face buried in his paws.
"I'm sorry I didn't. . . save them all," he sobbed. Nart put a paw on the mouse's shoulder, blinking back tears and forcing a smile.
"You did fine," he said quietly, swallowing a sob. "There. . . there was nothing else you could have done." He rose without another word, and made his way inside the abbey. He thought to himself as to what would happen in the days to come. There had not been too many young, strong beasts in the abbey recently, or any number that would be considered able to fight. They were in a siege, a siege that, judging by the huge force outside their walls, would not last long.
He heard whispers from others coming inside as he sat down in his chair, saying that there was only a deadly silence outside, as if the vermin army were. . . waiting, for something. The abbot let a tear drip unchecked down his cheek as he closed his eyes. There was a possibility that they would have to abandon Redwall.

Chapter One
   Mossflower was quickly falling to ruin. Lord Coalpaw had feared that a time such as this would come. He stood at the window of his bed chamber high up in his mountain fortress, Salamandastron, gazing out at the bleak and stormy weather. Thoughts tossed in his mind from the last ten days of destruction.  A massive alliance of vermin and evil creatures had entered the country, and wreaked havoc and death wherever they set paw. They had systematically driven a wedge between any who would oppose them, and crushed any hopes of uniting themselves against the force.  Refugees and scout reports had come in every day, bearing dark news and creating a gloomy air that was quickly heading to despair. The wild sea otters were all but eradicated, being forced to flee from the sea and making a stand with the river otters in a greatly defended holt. The river shrews of the Guosim had made an attempt to come to their aid, but were caught in a trap and force back up the river where they came. No word yet had come from Redwall Abbey, and made Coalpaw worry deeply. He was anxious about his own position as well: so far, no attempts had been made to openly attack Salamandastron, but many enemy scouts had been reported seen in the dunes and around the mountain.  
   The badger lord peered into the darkening haze far below, picking out a lone figure running swiftly toward the entrance to the mountain. Stepping back from the cool, damp sill, Coalpaw strode down the winding corridors and halls of his home to the bottom entrance to meet the newcomer. He recognized the slim hare immediately, a young scout by the name of Thaze, who jumped to attention as he saw his lord enter. The exhausted runner made his report in short gasps.
   "My lord, I have returned, from Redwall, and bear, grave news. The abbey, is under siege!" Coalpaw gritted his teeth as he bade Thaze to continue; he needed knowledge on their situation. "I could not get, too close, sah, for there were over, five-hundred vermin there, and I risked being , caught. That is all to report, sah." Thaze dropped to his knees in weariness, and Coalpaw scooped him up with two massive paws and lay him on a nearby bench, calling for water for the scout. He needed just a little more from him before he passed out from exhaustion.
   "Thaze," he said quietly but firmly in his deep voice, "Tell me, who was leading this siege; what manner of creature holds Redwall?" Thaze trembled slightly at the thought, but answered dutifully.
   "Sah?"
   "Yes, Thaze?"
   "I counted five: two wildcats, and three wolverines!" With that, he lapsed into a forgiving sleep, leaving a speechless Coalpaw. Two wildcats and three wolverines? He tried to convince himself it was not true, that he had heard wrong, but his own mind told him it was true. Who else but the most dangerous creatures could raise such an awesome force as the one told of. The five-hundred at Redwall was easily a quarter of the army that was reported from other sources. If Redwall fell, Salamandastron would be the last stronghold against the enemy. The badger lord knew that if he failed, there would be no more hope for anyone.
   The mountain fortress had four-hundred strong, able hares ready to defend it. Below, at the tideline, ten ships lay floating at anchor, manned by at least twelve score hare. Even surprise attacks, planning, and strategies would be futile in the face of the massive vermin army and their dangerous leaders. Coalpaw walked aimlessly around his home, lost in thought. He did not notice the highly decorated hare striding along beside him until he spoke up. "I say, sah, we're all in a dreadful mood, wot?"
   "Gemal, my friend, I hope you have heard of the latest report?"
   "Yes, m'lord. Nasty business, wot? That is why I've come to you.  In the face of such an overwhelming predicament, what do you propose we do, sah?"
   Coalpaw shook his great striped head despairingly. "I was hoping you had an idea. My mind is muddled with this whole thing, and this is beyond any experience I've gone through. The only hope we've got is to remove the head of the snake, but how do you kill two wildcats and three wolverines, I ask you? Only three wildcats have been recorded as threats to Mossflower, each costing too many lives. Two wolverines were ever found here, and they were as terrible as the cats. No, my friend, I have no plan, idea, or hope on this."
   Gemal twisted his gray-flecked mustachio, giving Lord Coalpaw the best advice he could. "Get some rest m'lord. This bally rain has everything stopped except the sea, which is rougher than any storm I've seen. Perhaps, when you wake, you will be able to think more clearly. Goodnight sah!" The officer did an about-face and marched off.
Walking slowly into his bed chamber, Coalpaw lay down on his bed, a slab of rock covered in blankets and padding. He lay there for an hour, then, knowing he could not sleep, he went to a place where only badgers could. He remembered first entering the resting place of his ancestor, Lord Brocktree, and did it again. Setting his blunt claws into a crack in the wall, he hauled back, heaving and straining against the massive slab of rock. It swung slowly outwards, and when there was a wide enough gap for him to squeeze through, Coalpaw entered the dark corridor.
A dry torch and some flint and steel lay close by, and when it was lit, the badger lord lifted high the light, illuminating the whole scene. The walls on either side were covered in pictures, carved into the ancient rock by his predecessors. He traced his paw along them as he walked toward an old lantern and a bowl of herbs at the feet of an aged suit of armor sitting upon a stone chair, inside which contained the skeletal remains of Lord Brocktree. Coalpaw bowed reverently before picking up the items and moving to the side. He lit the lantern and sprinkled the flame with some of the herbs. He sat with his back to the wall as a sweet aroma filled the room. Then the badger was asleep, dreaming he was walking on the beach before his mountain. Out from the still waters came one he knew to be Russano the Wise. He spoke to Coalpaw in a commanding voice, soft, but unignorable.

More mighty than a badger lord,
Near tall as any tree,
He evil looks, but for
The true good he fights.
Trust ye this friend of a vermin,
From mountains west he come,
Shall help you in your time of need,
And leave when he is done.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

VERY GOOD! ;D
I really enjoyed it!
I have a few names that you could might you.

BAD
Mithino
Darlex
Broblez

GOOD
Snowflake
Nart
Hivey
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

The Skarzs

I'm glad you enjoyed! Thank you for the names; it helps not having to make them yourself. The rest of chapter one will be finished in the next few days.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

Chapter Two

Thaze was correct in the five beasts that commanded the enemy army, except that one was missing from the siege at Redwall. This latecomer arrived in an impressive force, twice as large as the one present there, and had entered Mossflower woods to the north of the abbey. A lone figure, huge even compared to the biggest vermin, walked still forward as the others stopped around him. Cloaked in a black cape that hooded his entire body but the tip of his muzzle, he seemed the angel of death himself. No beast dared go near him, so a path was cut before him, leaving him to walk unhindered. He did not stop until he had reached the edge of the trees, looking up at the great sandstone building that stood above him. Drawing back his hood, he revealed the nature of his appearance. He was a wolf. His face was handsome, gray, black, white, and brown fur all beautifully aligned; but this could not hide his cruelty shown in his orange-hued eyes.
    He had lived in the harsh northland mountains for seasons, fighting for survival, feeding upon the weak and growing strong on their blood. For countless hours he had dreamed of the day he might set paw in the warm south, relishing the idea that he might even rule it as king. His ideas became ambition, which turned into obsession, bordering insanity. He had gathered into his service any who had the urge to kill, loot, or simply destroy, and had sent some to investigate this new land. As eager as he was, he was not about to enter the land without knowledge of its inhabitants, where they lived, and, if possible, their weaknesses. In one season, he had learned much more of Mossflower than he thought he could have discovered.
    And then he was given a little treat. A path crossed the river called Moss, and south along this path was a sandstone abbey. They were peaceful, happy creatures, mice, squirrels, and other such small woodland animals. The place could house an army, and was the perfect command center of the country. Much planning had gone into his scheme, and was well prepared for conquering the country. His army was a force of over three thousand, and many searats had offered him their service in the knowledge of his power. They could move in from the sea, and strike the creatures living near the water. They carried with them on their ships war machines: giant catapults and crossbows. The wolf was fond of their power to kill and destroy, and would not have them left behind. All of this was brought about by his greatness and the fear of others.  Not only was he unchallenged in his fighting skills, but he possessed more strength in body as well as in mind than the wolverines and wildcats that served him. Such fear was sown and grown within every soul that he had become a legendary terror to those who knew him.
    Grungath Deathcaller!
    He smiled in his inevitable victory. His plans had all gone perfectly, and by his cunning he nearly owned all of Mossflower. The fighters of the land were scattered, the peaceful creatures of Redwall were almost defeated, only saved by their strong walls. Grungath deemed it unnecessary to construct any means of entrance over the wall from the scarce wood of the north until they came here. Even then, as he was told by a returning scout, the occupants of the abbey were unprepared for the sudden attack and were forced into a siege the first day. The only true danger was a big, female badger, but she was killed defending the main gate as it was closed behind her. Her body was laid on the path as a warning to any inside of their own eminent death.  
    The cloaked wolf strode boldly to the main gate, exposing a shirt of dark chainmail underneath the garment as it fluttered behind him. At his side, hanging from a thick leather belt, was a heavy broadsword proven to be wielded by no beast except him. Drawing in a deep breath, he yelled with a voice like thunder.
    "Inhabitants of Redwall, hear me! I am Grungath Deathcaller; fear my name. You are to surrender your home entirely to me, or suffer the consequences. If there is one who hears me, he will come forth and surrender your home and save your lives, or doom you all to a long and painful death, for we will enter, and take you all." Minutes passed, and no beast came. Drawing back two paces, Grungath charged the main gates with the strength of only a wolf. The thick wooden beam keeping the gates shut splintered and broke, leaving them open for the enemy army. Shaking off the impact, the wolf entered Redwall, with his army quickly coming behind him.
    The grounds were checked, and the building was found unlocked and abandoned. There was no beast left in Redwall. Greatly upset at this, Grungath called his captains to him in the Great Hall, the two wildcats and the three wolverines. He questioned them slowly. "So, where are they?"
    The wolverine he had been looking at rasped back at to the wolf. "We will find them, master; they must be here somewhere."
    "Here!" the irate Deathcaller roared. "They're gone, you fools! Your reports said that there were three exits to this place, one on the north, west, and south walls. There must be another, because all three were guarded!"
    A stoat ran in and went on one knee before Grungath. "Master, I have news from the outer wall. There was a fourth entrance, on the east side. It was found unbarred and open, the outside being covered in vines, hiding it from view. There were tracks leading into the woods, but were erased and made unable to be followed." He rose and left hurriedly. Grungath rubbed his chin thoughtfully. So, they gave him the slip. It was no large matter; they would be found eventually, and he owned Redwall. Now the only place left in his way was the mountain Salamandastron. This would prove the most difficult task, but he was prepared. While he did not have as many ships at his disposal as the Badger Lord did, he could unload them of the catapults and crossbows from the River Moss. From there, they would be transported across the flatlands to the mountain and used there.
    Grungath Deathcaller chuckled darkly after he dismissed his captains, and heard thunder crash. A violent summer storm had begun; but he was dry inside his newest victory, in the center of the land he now had conquered. The fate of Mossflower lay in his paw, and he would be absolute ruler from his sandstone fortress. Seasons of pain had hardened him; seasons of fighting had trained him; and seasons of planning had made him the most powerful creature ever to live in the land.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

The Skarzs

Thank you for the feedback; I'm glad you are enjoying it. Please make sure to check back every so often, as chapters will be going up pretty quickly.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

Chapter Three
    For a mouse, abandoning Redwall was like abandoning a parent. To Nart, it was all that and more. He felt as if he would be better off dead. Badgermum Retha had been like a mother to him from the moment he was found floating in the River Moss in a little boat and brought to the abbey. She had given her life that those outside might save their own. Her loss and the loss of others were still fresh in his mind from the last couple of days spent in an awful siege. The fleeing of his home weighed down on him possibly more heavily on him than any other creature, for he was the abbot.
    Decisions had to be made quickly, for he knew time was short. The only option was to leave Redwall, and he wracked the old gatekeeper and recorder Mekus with urgent questions of anywhere they could go, hidden from the army amassed outside, and able to do so for an unnumbered amount of time.  The answer had finally come. Brockhall: the ancient home of badgers. There was a chance that the underground ways had collapsed and the entrance was hidden, but under the circumstances, it was a risk he was willing to take. Every available creature was loaded with food, sparse amounts of blankets, and a few personal belongings. That was all that was dared to be taken, except for the fabulous sword of Martin the Warrior. Such a meaningful object could not be left behind.
    It was with much relief that they found the east wicker gate was unknown to the enemy, and left unguarded. The second night of the siege, Abbot Nart had every Redwaller slipping out as quietly as possible into the safety of the woods, where they were left to follow the old squirrel, Mekus's directions. The moon was hidden by stormy clouds, and made it impossible to use a map or navigate the uneven forest floor. By dawn's first gray light, the tired, scared and desperate refugees were deep in Mossflower Woods. It was either by chance or the guiding spirit of Martin that they stumbled upon Brockhall.
    It was a massive oak, still alive after ages of its planting; great care had been taken to carve a cleverly disguised door at the base of the mighty trunk. When they finally found it, it took quite a lot of pushing and straining to open it. All entered the dark interior, making makeshift torches and using candles brought with them. Now that they were safe from immediate danger, curiosity overcame them and they explored the place freely, all the while being warned by Abbot Nart. He was not about to let any of his creatures get lost in the underground. Scurrying about, he completely wore himself out.
   There were chairs in plenty where he was now, and he slowly lowered himself into one. The old piece held, and Nart allowed himself to relax a little. His creatures were safe now, and would hopefully adapt to their new home quickly. His eyelids drooped, and was about to drift off to sleep when a horde of excited Dibbuns pounded into the room. It was inevitable. Wherever he went, they would find him.
    "Favver Abbot, see, see! There's a big room wiv' cobwebs, and a big chair, and Grufo was jumpin' on it!"
    The little mole accused tugged at the abbot's tunic. "Hurr, that'n be a gurt fibber. She made me jump on it, bo urr!"
    "Dibbuns, please. . . "
    "There's more, Favver, there's more! There's a kitchen, and a, a, a dormitory, and a big table, and a. . . "
    "Naw, 'e needs t'see the other place, with the other thing."
    Nart was saved from insanity by Cellarhog Derffy, who came walking down the hallway at the time of the stampede. He reached into his apron pocket and pulled out a pawful of candied chestnuts. He rattled them together, drawing their attention. "Hey, you little villains, I've got a game for you." They were delighted at the prospect of a game, and immediately listened attentively. "All of you get a chestnut if you help me get all the chairs upright and clean them of all that dust. Whadya say?" They all roared off down to the right, not even knowing where they were going. Abbot Nart smiled fondly and shook his head. "You owe me for this one Father," joked Derffy. "Those ruffians will be the end of me. Oh well, at least some of us will stay sane."
    Nart laughed as he thanked his good friend. "Thank you Derffy. Even in the midst of sorrow, at least we have a joy that won't be forgotten." He listened as the cellarhog walked after the path of destruction left in the wake of the overzealous little ones, mumbling something about gray spines before his time.
The abbot walked out of the room in the opposite direction of the marauding Dibbuns. Much to his surprise, he bumped into two squirrels that were not in Redwall at the time of their departure. He regained his composure and stared down his nose at the two newcomers. "Limbjumper and Spruceclimber. How did you two ruffians find your way in here?"
    Spruceclimber, a tall, strong, experienced red squirrel answered for both of them. "Why, we followed you, Father Abbot. You all left a trail even a blind weasel with half an ear and one paw could follow. It was only a matter of time before someone found it."
    Nart gasped, "You mean they know where we are now because of our tracks? Good heavens!"
    He tried to rush past them, but was caught by the strong, reassuring paw of Spruceclimber. "Ho my, no. What I mean is that could have happened. You're just lucky me 'n ol' Limbjumper here found it first. We knew about the siege, and were wondering what we could do to help. It was just before dawn when Limb found your trail, and we disguised it best we could. Don't thank us, though. Thank the rain; without it, a good tracker might have found the trail anyway." He began walking around, looking at the woodwork that made up the walls. "Nice place here. It'll do to hide you against that wolf, if at least for a short time."
    The mouse's brows furrowed. "Wolf, you say? No, that can't be right. The creatures who besieged us were wolverines and wildcats, though I can't see any being preferable." Seeing the serious look on the squirrel's face, Nart let Spruceclimber explain.
    "It must've been an hour after you left, when we were ordered to take a look at the going's on over here. Limb and I were going from tree to tree, trying to keep out of sight. We hear a lot of noise coming from the northwest, and see a huge army of vermin, and out comes the biggest creature I've ever seen. We knew he was the leader, and even I, a veteran of a dozen battles and fights, when I saw him, was scared. He walked right up to the gates, and broke them. He ran and just shattered the wooden beam. The whole of his army walked in, and that is when we scouted around the side for any signs of survivors." The soldier squirrel breathed out slowly. "Thank the seasons you are alright."
    "No, not everybeast," said Nart solemnly, as he sank to the floor. "Old Retha didn't make it. Her body's out on the path." He sniffed, and the squirrels realized he needed to be left alone to his thoughts.
    If the size of the army that now was in their home was as big as Spruce and Limb claimed it was, and it was commanded by the most dangerous creatures to ever walk Mossflower soil, and a wolf of the size and strength described. . .
    "Martin, please help us," he whispered.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

a nother good chapter! would you like me to draw some of the characters?
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

The Skarzs

If you want to, by all means! I'd like to draw them myself, though I can't figure out how to upload pictures.  :P
If you could assist me in that, I'd greatly appreciate it, and possibly upload what I think my characters should look.  :)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

We'll first you need to upload your pics to the Internet
I use photobucket.
Then fare I upload them there I go to my art work page an click on the button that has a small picture on it.
You then go back and copy your pic then paste it in between the things that popped up!
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

The Skarzs

I'll try, but computers hate me, so it may not work first time. Thanks!
Next chapter will be out in a couple days.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

Chapter Four
       Storms on the seas are dangerous; so was sailing on them. But it was not a choosing matter for Captain Bex. The giant sea otter was struggling at the wheel, trying hard to keep it on a straight course, wherever that might be. He twisted and turned, being buffeted right and left by the crashing waves as they tried to pull him from the wheel he was lashed to.
       His boat, the Clawrudder, had been on the seas for nearly four seasons. He and the crew had stopped on several islands and small peninsulas to restock. Many inhabitants had been too happy to oblige, yet an equal amount would rather have killed them. They had made it through thick and thin, but this gale was nearly putting them out of commission.
       Bex called urgently over the roar of the wind and the water falling in sheets. "Ronhuk! Ronhuk, help me keep this steady! I can't do this for much longer!"
       A huge form came staggering into sight through the slashing rain, trying to navigate his way to the captain. Pulling himself up the stairs, he gripped the wheel alongside Bex with huge, hooked claws. "I'm here, captain! How long do you think this storm will last?" he roared, battling against the wind and the waves.
       "These are strange waters," the sea otter blew water from his snout, "I've no idea! I'm hoping it won't last past dawn, because visibility is dangerously low at night, and we could find land the hard way: running straight into it! I pray this will soon end, or we might as well commend our souls to the Dark Forest!" He was knocked off his paws as the wheel suddenly went loose, and he watched Ronhuk slide to the deck rail. The voice of the forward lookout cut through the din.
       "Captain! Turn the ship about! Land ho, straight ahead! Turn about!" But nothing Captain Bex or anybeast could do to stop the surging waters from propelling their ship toward the rocky coast at the base of Salamandastron.

When Lord Coalpaw awoke, he knew not how long he had been asleep. The lantern had gone out, and he groped around in the dark until he made his way to the entrance of the room. Closing it behind him, he walked to a nearby window. It was still the same night, But the storm was dying down. When hit with the cool air, he suddenly remembered what was said to him in his dream, and hurried out of the room, nearly running into Commander Gemal.
   "Are you all right, my lord?" the hare asked, raising an eybrow.
   Coalpaw gnawed his lip. "Yes, and no." He decided not to tell Gemal about his dream. "Have any other reports come in?"
   "Yes, m'lord." He hesitated. "Lord Coalpaw, I fear that much at the abbey has changed. The leader of the enemy is not a group of creaures, but a wolf."
   "A wolf?" Coalpaw could not believe what he had just heard. "Gemal, repeat what you just said."
   "The leader of the great army is a wolf, sah."
   "In all my life, I have never thought the day would come when a wolf would enter Mossflower. I have heard of them, just stories and legends as a child, told to scare me into obedience. Even now, how can I believe that a creature of such power and terror has entered my homeland? Unless. . ." He trailed off hopelessly. A polite cough was heard behind Gemal, and they looked to see Sergeant Hivey, a rough, no nonsense hare with a walking cane. Bowing low, he spoke.
   "My lord, I bring news from the shore; a shipwreck has just occurred!" He was picked up and shaken by a worried Coalpaw.
   "Where? Show me! Great seasons, it could be searats; we can't have the likes of them on our paws now! Get two score hares and lead me to the place!" He ran off to the armory, with the two hares sprinting after him.

Ronhuk woke slowly. He was face up in cold surf, looking at the lightening sky. He could not remember much of the wreck, besides being thrown overboard as the ship ran headlong into something. With a start, he lifted himself up, shedding the water-soaked cloak he still had about him. He searched the tideline for the Clawrudder, finding it not thirty paces away, keeled over in the shallows, it's forward completely imploded on a jutting rock. Other crew members had already woken, and were splashing about near the ship. There were cries for help, and Ronhuk started toward them.
   He heard the sound of marching feet, and saw two score lanky rabbit looking creatures headed by a great black and white stripe headed creature in armor, wielding a war hammer. They did not look friendly, actually rather frightened seeing him.
   He was a cougar, and stood two heads taller than even the leader of the group before him. He was armored in thick, toughened leather from his neck to his footpaws. On a broad belt was sheathed a great, two-handed broadsword, and his giant, sharply hook-clawed paws instinctively went to it. Thinking better of the action, the cougar attempted to speak to these stranger creatures. Using a crude sign language with his paws, he spoke brokenly. "We, wrecked. Can, you, help, us?"
   One rabbit thing raised a brow, speaking to the armored beast beside him. "I say, sah, he doesn't look like a searat, but he does have the strangest accent, wot wot?"
   Quite taken aback by the very proper voice in which he spoke the Common Tongue, Ronhuk talked again, this time in a regular voice. "I said, we wrecked, and need help. If you're done gawping at me, some creatures need to be kept from drowning!" He turned toward the ship and dragged himself through the water. After a curt nod from Coalpaw, the hares assisted the crew out.
   After every member was saved, Ronhuk saw the one named Coalpaw look with angry glances at some of the crew. Tracing his glare, he saw it was focused on some species in particular.
   Among the otters, mice, and squirrels, there were rats, ferrets, weasels, and even a mink.
   The "hares", the rabbit creatures, surrounded them. Stepping forward boldly, Ronhuk forced his way to Coalpaw. "Have we done wrong, in asking for help? What have we done to anger you so?"
   The beast pointed an accusing paw. "Why do you travel with creatures the likes of them? Rats, ferrets, weasels; vermin!"
   Ronhuk raised his paws in their defense. "Wait a moment. How do you know they are evil? We haven't even been formally introduced."
   The "vermin" had gathered in a group for a short discussion, and one, a ferret by the name of Splink, came up to Coalpaw, bowing low and speaking in a strange accent. "My lord, to save any mishaps from beginning, and to show our gratitude for helping us, we shall stay on the shore, and shall not bother your hospitality. In a most gracious request, we only ask for some food of any kind, as our own supplies have been ruined in the crash."
   Coalpaw was impressed. These creatures, he could tell, were not evil, and his kinder nature could not refuse shelter from those who offered not to have it of their own will. After a moment's thought, he introduced himself. "I am Lord Coalpaw, Badger Lord of this mountain, Salamandastron. This is Commander Gemal," the hare nodded stiffly, "And Sergeant Hivey of the Long Patrol hare fighters. We welcome you to this land. I ask your forgiveness, ferret. Here in our land, your kind is known as enemy. You will all be allowed inside, and given food."
"And I am Ronhuk, a cougar and the son of Nigel the blacksmith. My home is in the far west mountains, across the Great Ocean. We have travelled long, and are thankful for your hospitality, Lord Coalpaw of Salamandastron." He placed a paw on his chest and bowed in his land's salute of honor.
The badger looked at the towering figure of Ronhuk. "I have much to discuss with you. Come."
   They allowed themselves to be shown inside, and when it came time for breakfast, were sitting alongside the Long Patrol hares, eating and chatting. Splink and the other weasels and ferrets were found to be great fun by the hares, with their strange accent and hilarious laugh, which sounded like Nyuk, nyuk.  A hare, Thaze in fact, challenged Splink to an arm wrestle, with Ronhuk trying to convince him that it was a bad idea, but the garrulous hare would not be shaken. Setting up, they gripped each other's paws and started. Thaze grunted and strained as he tried to push back Splink's paw. The ferret grinned and laughed.
   "Nyuk, nyuk, is that it? Come on, try harder, harder! Nyuk, nyuk!" Thaze's companions shouted encouragement at him, urging him to better efforts, but to no avail. Ronhuk laughed at his antics, exposing deadly-looking, spear-like teeth.
   "Hah, you'll never beat him. He's locked his arm! He only has to wait for you to tire out," Thaze gulped in air as this was said, and pushed more softly, "Then he'll just end it, you being too tired to resist!" Splink strained back at the tired hare, and pushed Thaze's paw to the table. A shout went up and the contestants sat back. Standing up and extending a friendly paw, Splinka shook the hare's paw warmly.
   "No hard feelings, right. You did good, my friend, nyuk, nyuk! Not many can beat me, so there's nothing to be ashamed of."
   Thaze winked at him. "Maybe next time, wot?" His new friend went around and clapped him on the back. "That's the spirit! Until then, save your strength for something else."
   Ronhuk chuckled, turning to Captain Bex and Lord Coalpaw. "I believe you said that we had something to discuss?"
   "Yes." The badger furrowed his brow. "Captain, I believe your ship could use some repairs. I can aid you in that; we have many supplies for ships here, and you can use what you wish." The giant sea otter grunted in approval, closing his one eye. He had lost the other long ago. "You, cat. Come with me."
   They rose and exited the room, Ronhuk following close behind the badger lord. "We are at the brink of war," Coalpaw explained. "An army of huge size has entered our land, and has taken over everything, except us. They are a huge force of vermin, with a few wolverines and wildcats. But above all, there is a wolf. These creatures that face us are among the most dangerous known, and must be stopped. Before you ask, I need to know something. I have had a dream. In it, one of my predecessors came to me and told me something." He explained the rhyme. "I believe you are the creature of whom he spoke; you match the description. There is just one more thing I must know."
They were in a bare, lonely room, high up in the mountain. Coalpaw stepped to the far wall, and pointed out a crack. "You must move this stone. Behind it is a room; you must not look in there. I must know if you truly are more mighty than a badger lord. You will move this stone with one paw."
Ronhuk thougth for a moment, shrugged, then went to the crack. Setting the long, hooking claws of his right paw into it, he pulled.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.